BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MCS Coilover Rear for M2C

03-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #23
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

And yes, after inspection of the springs, 550 up front and 450 rear.

Also a pic of sway bar clearance.
Attached Images

03-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #24
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Thanks for the info mcvaughan

On the rear CO in the photo above I think you have the lower offset spacer the wrong way around. The damper should be moving away from the front towards the rear but yours looks like the reverse ie running closer to the bend in sway bar.

My understanding is the clearance issue is to the sway bar bend and not the end link bolt.

Unless it is just how the photo was taken.
      03-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #25
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Thanks for the info mcvaughan

On the rear CO in the photo above I think you have the lower offset spacer the wrong way around. The damper should be moving away from the front towards the rear but yours looks like the reverse ie running closer to the bend in sway bar.

My understanding is the clearance issue is to the sway bar bend and not the end link bolt.

Unless it is just how the photo was taken.
Not sure. My shop was in contact with BimmerWorld regarding the original clearance issues with the CO rear. All I can say is that there's plenty of room and rides great.

Edit: just checked original correspondence with my shop. Seems to be a different setup for aftermarket sways, so maybe that's what you're thinking. I'm still on stock bars.
      03-28-2020, 11:04 PM   #26
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Here is a link from one of the early adopters of using the offset spacer. I believe this was on *stock* sway bars.

LINK

IMO I think it is a little to close in your photo. At the end of the day whatever works and doesn't rub.

Last edited by MR RIZK; 03-28-2020 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #27
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is a link from one of the early adopters of using the offset spacer. I believe this was on *stock* sway bars.

LINK

IMO I think it is a little to close in your photo. At the end of the day whatever works and doesn't rub.

[IMG]https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1469887678[/IMG]
I see what you're saying. Thx for the pic. I'll monitor it.
      03-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #28
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just put the car on ramps to take a look. It's close, but don't think it presents any problems. I'm not that low in back, but I do see issues if your ride height is lower than mine. No rubbing though at this ride height.

Edit: a couple pics.
Attached Images

03-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #29
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

I see what is going on. I still think the spacers are wrong way around but because you haven't got the rear inverted setup + your chosen ride height it means that the spring perches are sitting just above the sway bar.

If u have an inverted setup ie: compression/rebound adjuster on the bottom mcs uses a different spring cup on the bottom which means that clearance will be more of an issue. Normally the inverted setup in the rear is used for the 2WR setup.

You can see what I mean below.

Last edited by MR RIZK; 03-30-2020 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan702.00
      03-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #30
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, that makes sense.
      04-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #31
Vojta89
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
I see what is going on. I still think the spacers are wrong way around but because you haven't got the rear inverted setup + your chosen ride height it means that the spring perches are sitting just above the sway bar.

If u have an inverted setup ie: compression/rebound adjuster on the bottom mcs uses a different spring cup on the bottom which means that clearance will be more of an issue. Normally the inverted setup in the rear is used for the 2WR setup.

Hi, you should remove these top cups for OEM springs or you could loose it somewhere. It's not welded there, you just have to pop it out with some pressure with small crowbar.

Appreciate 1
MR RIZK756.50
      04-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #32
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vojta89 View Post
Quote:

[IMG]https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1451410154[/IMG]
Hi, you should remove these top cups for OEM springs or you could loose it somewhere. It's not welded there, you just have to pop it out with some pressure with small crowbar.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/XJbmX85/IMG-9753.jpg[/img]
Agreed, but not my car.
      05-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #33
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Garage List
How are the mcs holding up? any noise or clearance issues arise? im looking to get some for my M2C, but there isnt too much information out there for the f87
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #34
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Yoda View Post
How are the mcs holding up? any noise or clearance issues arise? im looking to get some for my M2C, but there isnt too much information out there for the f87
Mine are still sitting a box due to covid.

mcvaughan will be better placed to answer than me. For what it is worth all rear CO setups are using the offset spacer and haven't seen any reports on Bimmerpost about clearance issues.

You will find some old posts on various forums about noise form the 2WNR however they have updated their piston design a few years ago eliminating the noise.
      05-16-2020, 06:31 AM   #35
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Do you need to add extra chassis reinforcement when using these? The upper mount only has to cope with the damper on the stock set up, so I'm guessing that putting the entire suspension load through it might cause problems?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #36
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Do you need to add extra chassis reinforcement when using these? The upper mount only has to cope with the damper on the stock set up, so I'm guessing that putting the entire suspension load through it might cause problems?
Not so much on the F8X like E46/E92.
      05-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #37
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They're holding up well for street, but haven't had them on track yet — hopefully in the next month or so. There's no noise from the dampers themselves, but there is some low speed clunking from the reduction of rubber in the suspension components. It's not bad, but is noticeable. No clearance issues for me with my setup. I purchased from BimmerWorld so they have worked with MCS on a spacer setup that addresses any clearance issues.
      05-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #38
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Quote:
They're holding up well for street, but haven't had them on track yet — hopefully in the next month or so. There's no noise from the dampers themselves, but there is some low speed clunking from the reduction of rubber in the suspension components. It's not bad, but is noticeable. No clearance issues for me with my setup. I purchased from BimmerWorld so they have worked with MCS on a spacer setup that addresses any clearance issues.
thanks for the reply, I'm glad to hear they're running strong! street is probably rougher than track lol the noise is an interesting one, i wonder if its the camber plates? Its probably harmless. there's a guy with an m4 who has ran them for 4years no issues and just had them serviced, so that makes me feel good about them. i emailed bimmerworld yesterday about a setup for my car
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #39
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thanks for the reply, I'm glad to hear they're running strong! street is probably rougher than track lol the noise is an interesting one, i wonder if its the camber plates? Its probably harmless. there's a guy with an m4 who has ran them for 4years no issues and just had them serviced, so that makes me feel good about them. i emailed bimmerworld yesterday about a setup for my car
Oh yeah, I doubt I'll hear anything on track. Houston roads are pretty poor, to say the least, so a performance suspension can exhibit various noises. My feeling is that the additional noise is coming from, at least in the rear, may be around the lower control arm mount, but I have no proof. Up front it may be from the camber plates.
      05-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #40
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
could it be the springs binding? has it always been like that? now im kinda curious what causes coilovers to make noise on some cars and not others lol
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:24 PM   #41
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
could it be the springs binding? has it always been like that? now im kinda curious what causes coilovers to make noise on some cars and not others lol
I don't think so. It's not a pinging sound, but a clunking.
      05-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #42
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
I see your running the AP racing rears, very likely its the pads clunking.

I drove an M3 CS fitted with MCS 2WNR this weekend - wow. I was about to pull the trigger on a custom Ohlins setup but it's given me pause. I've had Ohlins before and they were very good, but the MCS damping was next level. Was running nearly 800 lb/ft front springs yet the ride over broken pavement was exceptional. Never driven suspension like it, the grip was phenomenal.

I emailed Phil at bimmerworld for a quote. I'm sure when I try a set of 3 ways i'll be ruined forever

Last edited by Montaver; 05-17-2020 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:08 AM   #43
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Quote:
I see your running the AP racing rears, very likely its the pads clunking.

I drove an M3 CS fitted with MCS 2WNR this weekend - wow. I was about to pull the trigger on a custom Ohlins setup but it's given me pause. I've had Ohlins before and they were very good, but the MCS damping was next level. Was running nearly 800 lb/ft front springs yet the ride over broken pavement was exceptional. Never driven suspension like it, the grip was phenomenal.

I emailed Phil at bimmerworld for a quote. I'm sure when I try a set of 3 ways i'll be ruined forever
I had the AP brakes on before the MCS. It's not the pads.

Yes, MCS knows how to make quality products. I've had KW and JRZ on prior cars and these are my favorite so far.
      05-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #44
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
So, i spoke with a rep at bimmerworld today and he told me they have a new fix for the clearance issue for the rear coilover; sway bar and end links. Apparently the spacer was blocking it, making it unable to use it's full range of motion. So they have configured the new setup. I will most likely be going with the new setup they have for the coilover rear (still cheaper than the divorced setup, ha!).

I'll post a little write-up about my experiences once i get them installed and have some time on them. Just figured id post about it on here in the case that someone has the spacer and wants to upgrade with the new findings
Appreciate 0