BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > COVID-19 therapy: a long drive in our cars is just what the doctor orders!

03-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #155
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

While I conform to and understand the social restrictions, I don't find a solitary drive in my car endangering anyone and is a way to get out and about while staying safe. Picnics in Central Park at this point is just ludicrous IMO.
Appreciate 1
pz6193278.50
      03-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #156
alan7467
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Sketchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
While I conform to and understand the social restrictions, I don't find a solitary drive in my car endangering anyone and is a way to get out and about while staying safe. Picnics in Central Park at this point is just ludicrous IMO.
I totally agree. I just wish that was what all of these folks around me were doing, rather than just business as usual.
      03-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #157
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Makes sense to rational people, but you hear stories of idiots all over the place enjoying life as normal and exposing their families and others. The other half has to suffer despite doing their part.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #158
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Great drive today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
Finally got ol' girl out today after a week or so. Drove with my daughter a few KMs down to the beach, was was pretty much deserted...as were the roads.
Seing your plate reminds me you are around here. Want to go for a drive on Sunday?

Also that grill painting choice is interesting
Great drive today along the North Sea in Holland (there are actually some roads with curves here!).

A bit of irony, 2x M2c, 1x F80 and 1x RS3, only one of which was 6MT and it was the only one driven by a Yank
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Poochie9104.50
alan7467128.00
pz6193278.50
Anthony1s755.50
      03-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #159
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Kankles,
Nice photos, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      03-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #160
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
I think people who point out things you do that "aren't best practice" without fully knowing what you're doing and how you're doing it are looking for someone to blame if the virus comes to them and those near you. They're looking for a scapegoat to blame to take attention off of the bad practices they've done that may've caused it.

Every morning, before I shower, I take my car for a quick 10-20min ride around my city. It's not just for me to get out of the house, I'm paroling the city and seeing the state around me, so I can better protect myself and other people. For example, when you go out and see a bunch of people at the park/beach unprotected, you are now aware of that increased risk of the virus spreading in your area. Which then, seeing that, you increase protective measures with you and your home/family and/or are reminded not to drop your guard just yet. With that info, can also write your your local governance about what you see and ask them to step in. If they don't step in or don't seem you care... you are reminded to boost your protective measures to take care of yourself and your family. That's the way I see it. And this isn't conscious. It's not info I actively seeking out, but stuff that comes my way.

Anyway, I kinda went off topic... When I go out for car rides in the morning, a couple times last week I didn't bring my bandana to wear around my face. I know that I don't need it when I'm just going out for a quick ride. But I decided to wear it out anyway going forward, because I don't want my neighbors to even have the suspicious that I did something to bring it to our neighborhood.

Granted, some of this comes because I live around black people and have spent a majority of my time with black people over the last 5 years. I know that they believe white people gave smallpox to indians via blankets. Even though there is no evidence of that happening, the suspicion is enough for them to accuse and mistrust and further the "white people are racist" stuff. So I'm extra careful because I don't want to do anything that might harm my relationship with them. In general, not just black people, I abstain from doing anything that might harm my relationships.
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
Moflow2484.50
      03-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #161
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Great drive today along the North Sea in Holland (there are actually some roads with curves here!).

A bit of irony, 2x M2c, 1x F80 and 1x RS3, only one of which was 6MT and it was the only one driven by a Yank
Nice and 6 foot distance!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #162
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

I'm gonna take my cruise past my local hospitals tomorrow. We have three of them in my city. A couple weeks ago I drove by one and the roads were closed around it and I could see tents set up outside. I know NYC hospitals have refrigerated trailers docked to tents that are said to be used as makeshift morgues. Gonna look for that at our hospitals, though I doubt we have them yet. There are only 56 reported cases in my county so far.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      03-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #163
DelGriffith
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I think people who point out things you do that "aren't best practice" without fully knowing what you're doing and how you're doing it are looking for someone to blame if the virus comes to them and those near you. They're looking for a scapegoat to blame to take attention off of the bad practices they've done that may've caused it.

Every morning, before I shower, I take my car for a quick 10-20min ride around my city. It's not just for me to get out of the house, I'm paroling the city and seeing the state around me, so I can better protect myself and other people. For example, when you go out and see a bunch of people at the park/beach unprotected, you are now aware of that increased risk of the virus spreading in your area. Which then, seeing that, you increase protective measures with you and your home/family and/or are reminded not to drop your guard just yet. With that info, can also write your your local governance about what you see and ask them to step in. If they don't step in or don't seem you care... you are reminded to boost your protective measures to take care of yourself and your family. That's the way I see it. And this isn't conscious. It's not info I actively seeking out, but stuff that comes my way.

Anyway, I kinda went off topic... When I go out for car rides in the morning, a couple times last week I didn't bring my bandana to wear around my face. I know that I don't need it when I'm just going out for a quick ride. But I decided to wear it out anyway going forward, because I don't want my neighbors to even have the suspicious that I did something to bring it to our neighborhood.

Granted, some of this comes because I live around black people and have spent a majority of my time with black people over the last 5 years. I know that they believe white people gave smallpox to indians via blankets. Even though there is no evidence of that happening, the suspicion is enough for them to accuse and mistrust and further the "white people are racist" stuff. So I'm extra careful because I don't want to do anything that might harm my relationship with them. In general, not just black people, I abstain from doing anything that might harm my relationships.
Your earlier explanation of antibiotics relative to chickens was epic. This one, umm, lacks much science, I think...
'17 F87 MG M2-Gone
'19 F87 SO M2C
Appreciate 1
alan7467128.00
      03-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #164
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelGriffith View Post
Your earlier explanation of antibiotics relative to chickens was epic. This one, umm, lacks much science, I think...
I don't really understand what you're getting at. But I'm not a scientist, I'm just giving my thoughts and perception of what I see and how I treat things in my life.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #165
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I know that they believe white people gave smallpox to indians via blankets.
Centuries ago, The Old Continent brought several diseases to The New World:
https://www.businessinsider.com/dise...ericas-2015-10
("Christopher Columbus brought a host of terrible new diseases to the New World")
      03-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #166
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Centuries ago, The Old Continent brought several diseases to The New World:
https://www.businessinsider.com/dise...ericas-2015-10
I'm not reading that link. If you're trying to tell me something, tell me it and have a conversation. Don't post links and make me guess what you're trying to say. And nothing I said has anything to do with "The Old Continent bringing several diseases to The New World". Though there's quite a bit that proves otherwise, it's completely irrelevant to anything I've said. I'm speaking about the possibility of my neighbors thinking I'm trying to infect them by dropping off food for them or contacting them in another way that might infect them. The only thing relevant to that is their perception on smallpox blankets, their relationship to me, and my relationship to them.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 03-29-2020 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:14 AM   #167
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:

Nice and 6 foot distance!
Yup, we didn't even shake hands but we did bump uglies (elbows)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 04:29 AM   #168
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

So rude of you to reap my appreciations

It was nice to meet another forum member lets hope this is over soon so we can do some roadtrips to DE and the Ardens.
      03-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #169
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

So rude of you to reap my appreciations

It was nice to meet another forum member lets hope this is over soon so we can do some roadtrips to DE and the Ardens.
Just post again in a couple days and it'll be like it was posted for the first time

8')
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #170
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Today may be my last Covid therapy drive. MD going into lockdown tonight
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #171
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Here in the Brooklyn, NYC, I was driving by the park on Friday and it was business as usual; people was running, jogging, picnicking, with the NYPD cruiser not to far away, with their lights on, while everyone ignore them.

I don't see the point of keeping people out of work, if they're still going to allow others to move freely. Some states are pulling this off more half-ass than others, making a "lockdown" moot.. But I digress..
I'm also a New Yorker. Don't tell me what to do, man.

JK!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      03-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #172
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
Quote:
Here in the Brooklyn, NYC, I was driving by the park on Friday and it was business as usual; people was running, jogging, picnicking, with the NYPD cruiser not to far away, with their lights on, while everyone ignore them.

I don't see the point of keeping people out of work, if they're still going to allow others to move freely. Some states are pulling this off more half-ass than others, making a "lockdown" moot.. But I digress..
I'm also a New Yorker. Don't tell me what to do, man.

JK!
✊🏻👍🏻

No beef, I'm being a hypocrite anyways; I was also out there with everyone else, swapping pathogens..

NYC is an interesting time now; you can run stop lights or speed with impunity, liked you're an outlaw, in what's usually a police state and no one bats an eye, I'm savoring these post-apocalyptic like times, while they last..
Appreciate 2
MMMBRAP975.50
Kankles1484.50
      03-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #173
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Coronavirus leaves California freeways empty, police warn of uptick in drivers speeding over 100 mph

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavir...patrol-100-mph
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #174
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
✊������

No beef, I'm being a hypocrite anyways; I was also out there with everyone else, swapping pathogens..

NYC is an interesting time now; you can run stop lights or speed with impunity, liked you're an outlaw, in what's usually a police state and no one bats an eye, I'm savoring these post-apocalyptic like times, while they last..
I was actually thinking about driving to the city this weekend to experience Manhattan as a ghost town.

Problem is, I'm not sure I want to drive there all the way from CT, where I am now lol.

I miss Queens though. Things aren't looking too great in my hometown and hoping everyone pulls through.

Whereabouts in Brooklyn are you from? Bayside, Queens represent!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      03-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #175
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
✊������

I was actually thinking about driving to the city this weekend to experience Manhattan as a ghost town.

Problem is, I'm not sure I want to drive there all the way from CT, where I am now lol.

I miss Queens though. Things aren't looking too great in my hometown and hoping everyone pulls through.

Glad to see fellow NYCers on this thread. I'm currently in Queens and it is basically the epicenter of the epicenter. Elmurhust hospital is getting slammed and yet there are still a relatively good amount of cars on the road.

I'm eagerly waiting to see when I should pounce on a M2C. Originally turned a deal down because I wanted to do PCD. But now, who knows if PCD will even open before the summer is out.

However, I did read on another thread someone wanted to ask between 15-20% off msrp for on the lot vehicle. I guess if that is attainable, that would be a small silver lining.
      03-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #176
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
✊������

Well, now it's better than ever to make that trek.. Nowadays, CT to Queens would run you less than hour of travel, give or take.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...7ay-story.html

I actually live close to Corona, Queens (yes, I'm serious) by the mall but sometimes alternate to my girlfriend place by 104th St @ Madison Ave, in Manhattan.

I was driving around in Brooklyn the day I saw the spectators in the park. And literally just a few mins a go:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0