BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > TC Kline or Ohlins, input appreciated **updated**

11-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #23
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
I had TCKline Double adjustable on my M235i and loved them on track and on the street.
I have to say their customer service is amazing. A few hours after I shot them an email, TC Kline himself emailed me back and answered all my (probably dumb) questions. Props for that alone. Emails to the competitors have gone unanswered

Did the DA setup make noise in the front?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #24
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Think I’m going with tckline DA’s this year for the track. Good product for the price, great reputation as well, and seem to have respectable customer service.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #25
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
I have to say their customer service is amazing. A few hours after I shot them an email, TC Kline himself emailed me back and answered all my (probably dumb) questions. Props for that alone. Emails to the competitors have gone unanswered

Did the DA setup make noise in the front?
TBH, my car was decently stripped and had a half cage and i had the meisterschaft SGT catback and was catless, lol so if there was noise i probably couldnt hear it anyways becuase everything else was so loud lol.
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #26
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
TBH, my car was decently stripped and had a half cage and i had the meisterschaft SGT catback and was catless, lol so if there was noise i probably couldnt hear it anyways becuase everything else was so loud lol.
Roger that.... LOL!

I think Im going to do the SA fronts... just to be sure .
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #27
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Roger that.... LOL!

I think Im going to do the SA fronts... just to be sure .
Haha yea man those arent noisy i know that. My buddy has the SA
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #28
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sweet I just ordered.

To close up this thread, I made up my mind to go with TC Kline because I wanted a setup for a few track days that I could also daily drive. TCK himself responded to all my (likely dumb) questions which I thought said a lot, even on the weekend. Further, he owns a M2C and tracks/tests everything he sells.

In reading other threads, people are sometimes unhappy with their spring rates and the various settings on these trick suspensions.... so in this case, I thought there was an advantage (or at least, lack of a headache) because TCK has already tried it and has the best setups mapped out.

Kit is in the mail... will report back.
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 6
M2guru374.50
mcvaughan702.00
Mook20.00
JTO245246.50
sly1types426.50
      12-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #29
jashton
Private
Rep
Drives: Shelby GT350

Quote:
Sweet I just ordered.

To close up this thread, I made up my mind to go with TC Kline because I wanted a setup for a few track days that I could also daily drive. TCK himself responded to all my (likely dumb) questions which I thought said a lot, even on the weekend. Further, he owns a M2C and tracks/tests everything he sells.

In reading other threads, people are sometimes unhappy with their spring rates and the various settings on these trick suspensions.... so in this case, I thought there was an advantage (or at least, lack of a headache) because TCK has already tried it and has the best setups mapped out.

Smart choice, I've been very dissatisfied with Ohlins and Ground Control. I've had issues with both and paired together what a nightmare.

I've had my front suspension out around six times chasing noises. I can't believe how little knowledge they have given the price point of each of their products. You get what you pay for does not ring true here.

I've eliminated 95% of my noises and the extra 5% is because the swift 2.5" springs don't properly sit on a 2.5" perch. The Swift spring ID is actually quoted at 2.56", but I measured a 1/4" gap between the top mount and the spring. I'm not sure if the Ohlins provided springs are are a true 2.5" spring, but the Swift springs aren't just binding without Swift thrust sheets, they are actually moving back and forth 1/4" since they don't fit the perch properly (makes a wonderful noise). Not my idea of quality for a $3,000+ suspension setup. I also wasted time adjusting the preload about 20 times to see if that would help the issue.

I added Swift thrust sheets today, which seems to have eliminated the horrid binding noise. The problem is the spring still shifts, since it doesn't fit correctly, and the thrust sheets make noise. Completely unacceptable given the cost and the wasted time.

Ground control is another story... They made things right, but not until after their top nuts partially stripped the threads on my strut. There's more to this story, but I get to worked up over this crap. It's fun getting accused of **** that's not your fault.

Last edited by jashton; 12-02-2019 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #30
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashton View Post
Smart choice, I've been very dissatisfied with Ohlins and Ground Control. I've had issues with both and paired together what a nightmare.

I've had my front suspension out around six times chasing noises. I can't believe how little knowledge they have given the price point of each of their products. You get what you pay for does not ring true here.

I've eliminated 95% of my noises and the extra 5% is because the swift 2.5" springs don't properly sit on a 2.5" perch. The Swift spring ID is actually quoted at 2.56", but I measured a 1/4" gap between the top mount and the spring. I'm not sure if the Ohlins provided springs are are a true 2.5" spring, but the Swift springs aren't just binding without Swift thrust sheets, they are actually moving back and forth 1/4" since they don't fit the perch properly (makes a wonderful noise). Not my idea of quality for a $3,000+ suspension setup. I also wasted time adjusting the preload about 20 times to see if that would help the issue.

I added Swift thrust sheets today, which seems to have eliminated the horrid binding noise. The problem is the spring still shifts, since it doesn't fit correctly, and the thrust sheets make noise. Completely unacceptable given the cost and the wasted time.

Ground control is another story... They made things right, but not until after their top nuts partially stripped the threads on my strut. There's more to this story, but I get to worked up over this crap. It's fun getting accused of **** that's not your fault.
You're definitely not alone. Your post is exactly why I didn't do something more exotic. I was strongly considering the MCS singles but then it's the same issue of spring rates and length, helper springs... For a race car... Sure, but not for a daily driver doing the occasional track romp. IMO.
Appreciate 2
mcvaughan702.00
JTO245246.50
      12-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #31
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashton View Post

You're definitely not alone. Your post is exactly why I didn't do something more exotic. I was strongly considering the MCS singles but then it's the same issue of spring rates and length, helper springs... For a race car... Sure, but not for a daily driver doing the occasional track romp. IMO.
Not every shop /reseller can offer MCS. MCS is selective. But a good shop would listen to your experience as a driver, tire and your intended purpose. They provide the spring rates, clicks, etc. One setting for the street and another for the track.
FYI I have MCS singles on my E92 M3 "street" car that sees occasional track time with Hoosier R7. It is more comfortable on the street than stock. Then I have MCS triples on my E46 M3 race car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #32
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Not every shop /reseller can offer MCS. MCS is selective. But a good shop would listen to your experience as a driver, tire and your intended purpose. They provide the spring rates, clicks, etc. One setting for the street and another for the track.
FYI I have MCS singles on my E92 M3 "street" car that sees occasional track time with Hoosier R7. It is more comfortable on the street than stock. Then I have MCS triples on my E46 M3 race car.
I agree with you wholeheartedly... but that kind of MCS specific support is about a 4 hour drive from me, and still I could make (read: strongly encourage) my local shop guys, who are amazing, learn about MCS... Im sure we would get the street and track setups sorted out... but for my current needs I wanted something quick and easy to configure without any second guessing.

That said, everything I have read about the MCS setup is epic, and I would love to try it out. Im fighting with myself about building a E36 Racecar for WRL and would likely use MCS on that car if I go through with it. Building the car all depends on whether a divorce would go hand in hand with the racecar
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 1
CrashFL136.50
      12-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #33
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly... but that kind of MCS specific support is about a 4 hour drive from me, and still I could make (read: strongly encourage) my local shop guys, who are amazing, learn about MCS... Im sure we would get the street and track setups sorted out... but for my current needs I wanted something quick and easy to configure without any second guessing.

That said, everything I have read about the MCS setup is epic, and I would love to try it out. Im fighting with myself about building a E36 Racecar for WRL and would likely use MCS on that car if I go through with it. Building the car all depends on whether a divorce would go hand in hand with the racecar
I'm pretty sure you could buy the entire kit with settings from a shop then have your local guys install. Call AR Motorsports 503-697-3311 when you get ready.
BTW One of my good friends had a OG M2 in which AR installed MCS singles. Then he bought and M2C and they moved the MCS over. He daily drives both along with HPDE. They likely sell and install more MCS than anyone. Hundreds and hundreds of sets.......
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #34
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Quote:
Sweet I just ordered.

Great info on this thread. Wondering how the TCK setup is working out for Malakas?
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      01-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #35
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Great info on this thread. Wondering how the TCK setup is working out for Malakas?
I was waiting for my first track day to post up about them, but so far on the street... they are A+. As I have said in earlier posts, TC Kline responds to calls and emails directly which is a huge help. Everything was sent and looked extremely high quality. There were no issues with install and we used the setup instructions for shock settings and alignment that TCK gives you.

Right now on the street I have the track alignment and street shock settings (because I didnt want to pay for an alignment twice with the track day coming up)....

The ride quality on street shock settings: compared to OEM is much more comfortable. It soaks up bumps like you would not believe. I lowered the car an inch so thats the only concern on city Houston streets, but the ride is great! And still when you turn the car in, the handling is amazing. I went with the softer springs, so there is a touch of body roll (less than oem) but its progressive and you feel the tires load up.

I've been playing in some corners too with suddenly giving the car more steering input to see if it would elicit any bad responses... none. Tons of grip on stock Super Sports.

R888R going on this week and COTA track day in 2 weeks - so will crank up the shocks to track settings and report back.

2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 5
mcvaughan702.00
CrashFL136.50
JTO245246.50
      01-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #36
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
I was waiting for my first track day to post up about them, but so far on the street... they are A+. As I have said in earlier posts, TC Kline responds to calls and emails directly which is a huge help. Everything was sent and looked extremely high quality. There were no issues with install and we used the setup instructions for shock settings and alignment that TCK gives you.

Right now on the street I have the track alignment and street shock settings (because I didnt want to pay for an alignment twice with the track day coming up)....

The ride quality on street shock settings: compared to OEM is much more comfortable. It soaks up bumps like you would not believe. I lowered the car an inch so thats the only concern on city Houston streets, but the ride is great! And still when you turn the car in, the handling is amazing. I went with the softer springs, so there is a touch of body roll (less than oem) but its progressive and you feel the tires load up.

I've been playing in some corners too with suddenly giving the car more steering input to see if it would elicit any bad responses... none. Tons of grip on stock Super Sports.

R888R going on this week and COTA track day in 2 weeks - so will crank up the shocks to track settings and report back.

Looks great Jay! Let me know how the new surface at COTA is.
      01-18-2020, 03:34 PM   #37
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Quote:

That's a darn good review for TCK! Have fun at COTA and please do post some updates afterward!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #38
malakas2
M Stable
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, E36 M3

Well done dude! Watch out for loose debris at COTA. It should handle like a dream on those R888R's. I expect a comparo on the experience between the M2C & the GT-R.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      01-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #39
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I have no experience with TCK so cannot compare - but I am very happy with the Ohlins RT on my M2. Very capable on this platform on the track & still with good street manners. I run their suggested spring rates - very good no fuss setup imo.

Sorry - off topic - M2MGM you running over the weekend too at WRL or just there for Friday?
No issues with reduced inner clearance?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:54 AM   #40
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
No issues with reduced inner clearance?
Haven't tried anything else that might be wider than the Hoosiers. 275/35/18 on 18x9.5 ET28 w/7.5 spacer in front - it is close but they do clear. 295/30/18 on 18x10.5 ET40 clear fine on the rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #41
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Haven't tried anything else that might be wider than the Hoosiers. 275/35/18 on 18x9.5 ET28 w/7.5 spacer in front - it is close but they do clear. 295/30/18 on 18x10.5 ET40 clear fine on the rear.
Not bad! How much front camber?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #42
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

**Update from first track day**

I was very impressed with the suspension. First off, when I cranked up the shocks to the TCK recommended settings the setup was WAY stiffer than the street settings. I really didnt expect such a dramatic change. On the street the thing rides like a cadillac - honestly. Track settings on the street are very twitchy and you feel every road imperfection.

On the track it was excellent. I think if it was a dedicated track car I would run the higher spring rates but that is just my preference. I was on stock wheels running 245/265 R888Rs, and the grip was awesome. Turn in was precise and to be honest, not much understeer. Just the right amount of oversteer on the exit but the car really hooks up nicely and elicits that "fun" feeling.

Personally, Im not used to a track car with this much power anymore, so I couldn't do better than a 2:37.9 but I was also running OEM brake pads (ATe 200 fluid) so I was adding 50-75 ft of braking. I will add a couple of videos in a moment.

Suspension worked exactly as I hoped, no issues with setup. Highest marks from me.

2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT

Last edited by Malakas; 02-04-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 4
      02-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #43
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Shake down lap: maybe my 3rd or 4th lap with the car on track, the getting to know you phase. Ugh, watching it is a bit painful, early braking, and slow to the throttle.

Faster lap, but traffic cost be a couple of seconds. Again braking early with the stock pads... and not hitting all of my marks. Made that GT3 kind of mad coming up behind him though!! LOL .

All in all, with track pads, and a bit less traffic on a flying lap, I think low 30s, is definitely doable.... wider tires, heat exchanger, tune, custom air box inlets, and custom brake ducts come next!
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT

Last edited by Malakas; 02-04-2020 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
mcvaughan702.00
JTO245246.50
      02-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #44
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
All in all, with track pads, and a bit less traffic on a flying lap, I think low 30s, is definitely doable.... wider tires, heat exchanger, tune, custom air box inlets, and custom brake ducts come next!
Very interested to see what you come up with on the air box inlets and brake ducts.
243Racing1447.50