BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Don't let that old man in the M2 pass you !!!

01-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #45
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
Is there a good way to turn down someone trying to race you if they keep insisting after ignoring them for a while?
Yes, it's called common sense. If you injure someone racing on the public roads you could end up in jail, and lose your life savings in a civil suit. That's what tracks are for. Stay safe.
Appreciate 3
rich8566608.50
McPurrs290.00
      01-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #46
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowindycity007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Who says you have to drive in comfort mode?
I got both speeding tickets while driving in Sport+ mode. It seems like the exhaust noise in Sport+ mode attracts attention, challenging others to a race. I don't like racing in public roads and tried very hard to ignore all challengers. But when I see an old man near my age in a hot sports car wants to tango, I just couldn't resist. Driving in Comfort mode would help retain my driver license until the "3 tickets per year" count resets
Gotcha

I'd hire a great traffic lawyer to beat them tickets accordingly
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-27-2018, 05:40 AM   #47
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:
Take it to the track. That's what I do. Nothing better than 145 MPH on the back straight at Watkins Glen.
With stock brakepads and fluid.

Cheers
Robin
No - of course not. At a minimum you need to take 32 minutes and swap the OEM brake pads for Pagid RS29s as shown here:
Will these break pads alleviate the dusty rim issue? My wheels turn black in no time from the OEM pads.
Washing your vehicle helps best
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-27-2018, 05:49 AM   #48
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
I was so anxious to complete the 1200 miles break-in period so I can find out what my M2 can do. Now my M2 is ready but I have to drive it in Comfort mode for the next 9 months.... Sigh.. more sighs....

I haven't been to a track or thinking about going to one, partly because I am not very intrigue with driving around the same circle, over and over again at the track. But it is quite a challenge to enjoy the M2 with spirited driving daily in public roads without getting a speeding ticket.

Many years ago , I was told if you donate to the Chicago police "charity" annually, you will get stickers (with the star on the sticker) to put on your rear bumper. When the cop stops you and sees the sticker, he will just say "Drive careful buddy" and let you go..... because you have "Pre-paid" for the whole year.

May be this is what I need to do.
LOL

Driving on a track seems boring , on the same track all day , and yet driving up and down the same lake shore drive in two months has gotten you $600 in citations and a warning not to get a ticket for 9 months.

Dude, you are a speed demon. Youve got a top detector , a fast car , and you've been goaded into street racing IN A CITY. Please stop poo-Pooing track and Autocross events and go have some REAL fun. You won't be the first 70 year old at the event so come on out.

There are corvettes at the track too as well you know. I went to high plains raceway In Colorado a few years back and the car pictured below was a car I passed.

It took me three full laps to pass this guy , the last two laps he kept looking at me in the rear view mirror as I disappeared on the straights a bit but came roaring back on him braking in the corners. He finally gave me a point by and I left him in the dust. The rest of the weekend when he saw me in his rear view mirrror he immediately pointed me by.

That's a whole lot more fun " driving around in a circle on a track " than getting a speeding ticket also not keeping up.

PS for the record, road courses don't run in " circles ". We aren't talking NASCAR here.

PS PS. An additional donation to the Fraternal order of Police May help with some cops however if they feel you've tried to BUY their favor ( and based on your two recent tickets when they pull up your record you won't likely win many over ) then it will be more money down the drain.

PS PS. If you REALLY want to get some mileage from your $50 " donation".. I recommend you head here and register as a BMW CCA member. https://www.bmwcca.org/ Click JOIN and let the fun and camaraderie begin.

your local chapter page is here.

http://www.windycitybmw.com/

other nearby chapters

http://www.michiana-bmwcca.com/

http://badgerbimmers.org/
Attached Images

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-27-2018 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #49
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Come out to autocross this year. Just once. Get a taste. It will open your eyes. "M" is for Motorsport, after all.

In an autocross run, you are going so fast (for the twists and turns of the course), at the limits of the car and your own comfort, that you do not even register that you are basically driving in a giant circle.

At the finish, your heart is racing, your engine is racing, your eyes are as wide as they can be, and you will never look at your M2 the same again.

Then you turn to the instructor and say, "Thank you may I have another?"
Now you got me very intrigued. I will research what upgrades I need on the M2 in preparation for the autocross and the costs involved.

Hooray !!

For an Autocross you need nothing other than perhaps a helmet. The local Windy City guys can set you straight on if they have loaner helmets available at their events.

An inexpensive helmet( should you decide to buy one ) run around $149 although you can certainly spend more. A snell rated M-2015 model helmet should be fine. here is the windy city chapter autocross page to get you started.
It appears they have an autocross school in the spring.

http://www.windycitybmw.com/activity.aspx?id=3

Your car should need nothing else other than you and a willingness to LISTEN to the instructor.

Should you attend a track event , a set of different brake pads would be recommended. Other M2 owners can certainly show you how to change these in minutes or you can pay a shop ( I wouldn't ).

HODLM The factory M2 brake pads dust like a mother f-ker and also do very little at stopping the car (in the hands of a reasonably skilled track driver ) . I literally posted a series of photos on cars after a spirited drive in the country to show exactly how soft and how much dust the OE pads put out. I'll see if I can attach the link here.

I've no recommendations on pads however yes I am sure many other pads will dust LESS, because basically I've never seen a BMW that dust it's wheels so much in over 25 years of being a bmw owner.

M2 brake pads are soft - a visual representation http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1360454

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-27-2018 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #50
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Take it to the track. That's what I do. Nothing better than 145 MPH on the back straight at Watkins Glen.

Cheers
Robin
No - of course not. At a minimum you need to take 32 minutes and swap the OEM brake pads for Pagid RS29s as shown here:
Will these break pads alleviate the dusty rim issue? My wheels turn black in no time from the OEM pads.
Washing your vehicle helps best
My car is AW, so it needs a wash quite frequently regardless. That said, I'd still love to find a set of pads that are better than OEM at stopping (mainly street driving) while also reducing dust.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2018, 08:01 AM   #51
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Come out to autocross this year. Just once. Get a taste. It will open your eyes. "M" is for Motorsport, after all.

In an autocross run, you are going so fast (for the twists and turns of the course), at the limits of the car and your own comfort, that you do not even register that you are basically driving in a giant circle.

At the finish, your heart is racing, your engine is racing, your eyes are as wide as they can be, and you will never look at your M2 the same again.

Then you turn to the instructor and say, "Thank you may I have another?"
Now you got me very intrigued. I will research what upgrades I need on the M2 in preparation for the autocross and the costs involved.

Hooray !!

For an Autocross you need nothing other than perhaps a helmet. The local Windy City guys can set you straight on if they have loaner helmets available at their events.

An inexpensive helmet( should you decide to buy one ) run around $149 although you can certainly spend more. A snell rated M-2015 model helmet should be fine. here is the windy city chapter autocross page to get you started.
It appears they have an autocross school in the spring.

http://www.windycitybmw.com/activity.aspx?id=3

Your car should need nothing else other than you and a willingness to LISTEN to the instructor.

Should you attend a track event , a set of different brake pads would be recommended. Other M2 owners can certainly show you how to change these in minutes or you can pay a shop ( I wouldn't ).

HODLM The factory M2 brake pads dust like a mother f-ker and also do very little at stopping the car (in the hands of a reasonably skilled track driver ) . I literally posted a series of photos on cars after a spirited drive in the country to show exactly how soft and how much dust the OE pads put out. I'll see if I can attach the link here.

I've no recommendations on pads however yes I am sure many other pads will dust LESS, because basically I've never seen a BMW that dust it's wheels so much in over 25 years of being a bmw owner.

M2 brake pads are soft - a visual representation http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1360454
I use ActiveAutowerke to work on my car, so I'll ask them for a recommendation. Thanks for the link.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #52
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
I will research what upgrades I need on the M2 in preparation for the autocross and the costs involved.
for autocross, you need:

1. Summer tires. (Though you can get by on all seasons.)
2. A helmet. (They have loaners there, but those are gross.)
3. Balls. But you already got those.

Events cost maybe $30 or so each. You don't have to join SCCA to register.

The speeds of autocross are much less - generally 20 to 50 mph, so the wear and tear on brakes and tires is minimal - compared to track days where speeds are 80 to 150.

If you Google, SCCA does a 2-day (Sat/Sun) training event each spring. You get a lot of seat time with an instructor.

Even if you never autocross again, what you learn in terms of driving dynamics and car handling will last you a lifetime.

Last edited by harperium; 01-27-2018 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #53
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Lastly I didn't know so many fellow Chicagoan's were speeding around town. You'd think there's some Fast and Furious sh!t out here. Personally I don't see it and I drive everyday in the city, 1/2 streets and 1/2 expressway.
My typical drive weekday commute home on Lower Wacker and LSD:

The limit on LW is 30. Cars usually go 40. But there are frequently hooligans (often just uber drivers) who go 50. I try it keep it to 40, as the blind curves + cold wet concrete are just dangerous. There's a white M4 who must live near me that I see occasionally. He did 70+ once; I followed him for maybe 5 seconds, but I slowed down at 60, and he kept going until the blind curve.

The limit on LSD is 40. The flow of the slow lane is usually 40-50, the middle lanes about 60, and there's always about 10% of cars who cannot seem to go fast enough. The tailgaters and such. Usually in piece of sh*t cars/crossovers. They'll do 70+ all the time often while looking at their phones. I occasionally hit 70 briefly when passing, but try to keep my speed to 60.

In summer months, it seems the cops have a monthly assignments. For 3 or 4 weeks, they'll camp out on LSD in various places. Then I don't see them for months on end. Generally they watch LSD more in the summer and LSD seems to attract racers who don't care about tickets

On 90/94 northbound into the city, it's like the bloody autobahn. Limit is 55 and I swear half the cars are driven by Mario Andretti wannabes. I tend to go with the flow in the middle lanes out of survival, and the speed is usually 80, while Andrettis zip by at 90+.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #54
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Robin
No. I live for the dust! Dust means your pads are working.
      01-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #55
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Kudos to old guys in Blue M2's!!
Can't wait till I'm one!
Move out west. Plenty of quiet desert/mountain roads to have fun on. But get a fuzzbuster. Don't leave home without it!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #56
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
The cop that pulled me over was not a bad cop. He was like a combo of good and bad. Lake Shore Dr is a 45MPH zone and I am sure we were racing way above that speed limit... May be over 75 . But he wrote on the ticket "less than 15 mph above the limit" and told us he did it so that we could pay the fine without showing up in court. It seems like collecting money for the city was his objective.

Come to think of it, I might have avoided getting the ticket if I had a good lawyer to argue for me. I slowed down below the speed limit multiple times because I couldn't keep up with the Corvette. But the Corvette would slow down and waited for me and the unmarked car to catch up, and this scenario repeated many times. The cop actually participated in the race himself because he could have pulled us over MUCH sooner. But he tagged along and raced with us for a VERY long time. He should've earned a speeding ticket himself.

At the end of the day, I did have a blast. I guess the M2 comes with a mandatory speeding ticket package....
You weren't racing, you were competing for who was willing to get the bigger speeding ticket. There is always someone willing to take bigger risks, best to just let them. This is coming from an old guy who drives a blue M2 and constantly has kids trying to race me. Usually mine are in a Cobalt SS or Scion TC though. I agree with the track day advice, great way to get it out of your system.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #57
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Yes, it's called common sense. If you injure someone racing on the public roads you could end up in jail, and lose your life savings in a civil suit. That's what tracks are for. Stay safe.

Huh.. What are you reading? I asked how to turn down a guy that's being overly persistent in trying to race you after ignoring him for a few blocks already. Never said I was trying to street race.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #58
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Huh.. What are you reading? I asked how to turn down a guy that's being overly persistent in trying to race you after ignoring him for a few blocks already. Never said I was trying to street race.
I cant speak for the poster, but I think he meant just keep ignoring him, the common sense thing to to. I don't think he was saying you were trying to race. He can be persistent all he wants, sooner or later the driver will get the message.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #59
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry if you think I meant you.. I meant "you" in general. Just offering some advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #60
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Sorry if you think I meant you.. I meant "you" in general. Just offering some advice.
Hey no worries man. I probably overreacted too.

But really, does anyone know a good, universal way that just tells someone that's been trying to race you for a few blocks, "dude, not interested".
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #61
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Hey no worries man. I probably overreacted too.

But really, does anyone know a good, universal way that just tells someone that's been trying to race you for a few blocks, "dude, not interested".
I don't think there is a universal way, but I can tell you what I do from my experience. I would just wave at them and shake my head no, if ignoring doesn't work. Usually ignoring works, they get irritated ( or seem to) and go away. It's mostly young guys that have tried it with me, and they straight up ask if I want to race. I just say no thank you.

I'll admit, I've done it when I was a young guy, so no judgement here. It is dangerous and stupid however. Since I've gotten older, I have more fun just driving on backs roads though some curbs alone, vs drag racing someone. At the track, from my limited experience; you still have some who will act the same way as they do on the streets, but they get kicked off the track.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2018, 01:10 AM   #62
chicagowindycity007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I am not a hoonigan and don't condone "Reckless" racing in public roads putting others in danger. I live near LSD so it is convenient to have fun with the M2 there, but I only do it after midnight when most people are sleeping. I don't push the M2 beyond the speed that I can't stop safely. I have no accidents in the past 20 years with decent offensive and excellent defensive driving skills . Some of you may even agree with me that the speed limits on many roads are outdated. These same speed limits haven't changed since I started driving in the late 70s, where ABS brakes didn't exist. The M2 can easily and safely handle at least 10 miles over these outdated speed limits. How many of you can honestly say you never drove over the speed limit in the last 3 days? If you did then you are NOT normal

On a good note, I took advice from some of you and talked to a lawyer (actually the lawyer's secretary). I couldn't believe my ears.... "Your speed was not 15 miles over the speed limit, no accident involved, and no DUI.... The fee would be $100 to clear the ticket." I was in/out of the lawyer's office in 10 minutes. I won't tango with any corvettes anytime soon. But am I going to drive the M2 like an old lady....HELL NO. for short term I am going to try the strategy recommended by one of the members here: Short bursts to red line, enjoy the M2's smoking tires and angry exhaust noise, take the next exit, cruise back a few miles, and repeat until my jaw hurt from smiling Long term - Autocross for beginners.
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      01-30-2018, 01:08 PM   #63
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I am not a hoonigan and don't condone "Reckless" racing in public roads putting others in danger. I live near LSD so it is convenient to have fun with the M2 there, but I only do it after midnight when most people are sleeping. I don't push the M2 beyond the speed that I can't stop safely. I have no accidents in the past 20 years with decent offensive and excellent defensive driving skills . Some of you may even agree with me that the speed limits on many roads are outdated. These same speed limits haven't changed since I started driving in the late 70s, where ABS brakes didn't exist. The M2 can easily and safely handle at least 10 miles over these outdated speed limits. How many of you can honestly say you never drove over the speed limit in the last 3 days? If you did then you are NOT normal

On a good note, I took advice from some of you and talked to a lawyer (actually the lawyer's secretary). I couldn't believe my ears.... "Your speed was not 15 miles over the speed limit, no accident involved, and no DUI.... The fee would be $100 to clear the ticket." I was in/out of the lawyer's office in 10 minutes. I won't tango with any corvettes anytime soon. But am I going to drive the M2 like an old lady....HELL NO. for short term I am going to try the strategy recommended by one of the members here: Short bursts to red line, enjoy the M2's smoking tires and angry exhaust noise, take the next exit, cruise back a few miles, and repeat until my jaw hurt from smiling Long term - Autocross for beginners.
You better check with that lawyer that the ticket really disappears or not. Being stopped a third time still might pull your license, and seeing how you think it's ok, especially at your age, to endanger other people because you do not agree with the rules of the road and wont go to a track...it would serve you right.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #64
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Being stopped a third time still might pull your license, and seeing how you think it's ok, especially at your age, to endanger other people because you do not agree with the rules of the road and wont go to a track...it would serve you right.
ahhh dont be so harsh

every day on Lakeshore Drive I see people driving and texting
every day in the Loop I see uber drivers and taxis openly flout traffic laws

driving 70 on LSD with few cars around is safer, honestly
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #65
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
For things like speeding in a sports car ( not in traffic, or driving reckless, yes they they are different) or equipment violations like tint or loud ehxaust, you need a good attitude and a good PBA (or 3)...

Lucky for me I made good friends with the NYS Police PBA President and I just recieved 2 2018 Cards, 1 hand signed to me with his cell # and 2 Official PBA Stickers ...

Without all the police buddies and cards, I wouldve been out my license Yearrrs ago, and no im not proud of that...But with a car like the M2, young or old, responsible or reckless, the OP makes a goood point it is hard/impossible to constantly obey ALL the traffic laws.

#justbeingreal
      02-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #66
TripleU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 M2, 23 Ford F150 Raptor

Garage List
  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I feel you. I just got a speeding ticket on the 29th and had a ticket back in September (not in the M2 though). I’m very hesitant to drive the car fast now after getting pulled over twice in this 4 month span. I’m considering only driving weekends and taking the metro train for my weekday commutes.
Appreciate 0