BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition Individual Paint for $24k (San Marino Blue)

05-25-2019, 01:16 AM   #111
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The irony of this option is anyone financially comfortable enough to be able to spend $25,000 on paint, the last car they would be looking at is BMW M2C.

M850i or a hypothetical M8 maybe as a hoopty.

Anyone who believe otherwise is deep into self-deception.

Edit: Yes, I know Mr. Fux, find me other example beside him, then we'll talk..
I could very comfortably spend $250k on a car. I bought the M2C because to me it is the car I want more than any other. Maybe I am deceiving myself.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
mikeahso411.50
      05-25-2019, 01:33 AM   #112
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
The irony of this option is anyone financially comfortable enough to be able to spend $25,000 on paint, the last car they would be looking at is BMW M2C.

I could very comfortably spend $250k on a car. I bought the M2C because to me it is the car I want more than any other. Maybe I am deceiving myself.
Yea, that's nice but this is the internet where you can claim anything you what, like for instance; online, I'm handsome a billionaire who uses his vast wealth and technology in crime fighting as well to serve justice for Gotham City. But secretly at nighttime, I'm really Batman.

When you spend $25,000 on paint and you want to come back here with some proof to shut me up, then I'll believe you.

Please people, don't take to offense to what said, I was just thinking logical. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 04:13 AM   #113
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea, that's nice but this is the internet where you can claim anything you what, like for instance; online, I'm handsome a billionaire who uses his vast wealth and technology in crime fighting as well to serve justice for Gotham City. But secretly at nighttime, I'm really Batman.

When you spend $25,000 on paint and you want to come back here with some proof to shut me up, then I'll believe you.

Please people, don't take to offense to what said, I was just thinking logical. My bad.
I mean don't we have a guy on the forum with a lambo hurrican who often prefers to drive his m2c for various reasons. Just because if you had money you wouldn't be interested in an m2 it similar doesn't mean others would feel the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 04:32 AM   #114
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
If Mr. Fux was actually worth $500MM, he sure as shit would not be buying an M2, of all cars, and that is for damn sure.
What would he be buying?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:44 AM   #115
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmpower98 View Post
I was told the lucky owner of this SMB M2C's last name is Disney
Probably why the cost of going to the parks is ridiculous!!

Someone's got to pay for it.
      05-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #116
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

No need to spend $25k on paint. One of the main reasons I bought the car is the HS colour. So. Beautiful. From memory it was about a year ago when I was motivated enough to go to the dealer and order one. Anyway. You live your life. I’ll live mine. I’m enjoying it with nothing to prove. Bye.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      05-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #117
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
I'm for spending money and all... but no matter how much money you have, a cost is still a cost. I think they took advantage of this guy. He got hosed!

I've spent money on frivolous things too but to be scammed out of this much cash for paint is shameful. :
I do agree with one thing... the colors available on M2C NEED to be upgraded! It is worth some money for a decent color change.
      05-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #118
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

lol, i wonder what the resale value of this thing will be.

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #119
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Mr. Davil, for some strange reason, over these many months on this forum, I'd always assumed that about you. Don't know why, but if somebody had asked me to describe your financial situation, I would have said, "My hypothesis is that this person has money."

I'm also in the same boat, and like you, could very well imagine spending ridiculous amounts of money on something completely frivolous like an individual paint color. But, it's so funny how bi-polar my relationship to money is. I'll go out of my way to buy the 48 count package of hard boiled eggs at Costco, and when my wife looks at me in horror as I try to stuff it into our fridge, I justify it by saying, "But, honey, it's such an amazing deal! Only 10 cents per egg!" Meanwhile, I won't think twice about gearing up to drop $75k in cash on a Cayman T when that car finally hits our shores.

I once saw this posting where somebody had asked, "When did you realize you were financially comfortable?" And this dude replied with, "When I used to go out to restaurants, I would look at the menu, and where all the food items were, I just saw squiggly lines, and the only thing I could see were the numbers associated with the prices. Now, when I open a restaurant menu, all I see is the description of the dishes, and where the prices are, all I see are squiggly lines."

I think that's the key insight here. Once you have "enough money" to buy whatever you want, prices become immaterial. You buy what you want, when you want it, because you are maximizing your utility, and money is just one small component in your overall utility function. Nobody talks about this, because in our culture, talking about money, and talking about having money, is verboten. It can come across as horribly braggy. And the only time you talk about these things is with other people who also have money. But, the reality is that at some point money is nothing more than a proxy for other things that go into your utility function: convenience, time, etc.

The really funny thing about being rich is that in the modern world your life is not that materially different from that of any middle class citizen. The best illustration I've ever seen of this is the following article. Mind-blowing if you really think about it.

https://cafehayek.com/2016/02/40405.html

You spend money to buy yourself time. You spend money to buy convenience. You spend money to get what you want, when you want it, because you have lots of money - what you don't have is lots of time. Time is the one and truly only non-renewable resource in this universe. So, whoever is spending $24k on this individual color for his M2C... I applaud that gentleman. He's got enough money to buy what he wants, when he wants it.

As for why somebody with lots of money might buy an M2C as opposed to a Ferrari or Pagani whatever other super car... there's a thing called "fixed cost economics." Because R&D is a fixed cost that gets allocated... you know what? I'll shut up now.
Appreciate 4
natmad667.00
mikeahso411.50
Davil6523.00
      05-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #120
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMurphy View Post
This guy obviously doesn't realize San Marino is a regular old paint option on the M4 now....
Maybe he doesn't care wether it's a old colour. It's a fabulous colour and for sure it's a unique car. I'm sure he is a wealthy guy who can afford it, good luck to him
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #121
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
The 24k isn't hard to believe. What is hard to believe is there so many people on this forum that can't fathom people rich enough to not give a damn about 24k. Do the math. If Mr Fux is worth 500mil, that is the equivalent of 50 bucks to a standard millionaire.
If Mr. Fux was actually worth $500MM, he sure as shit would not be buying an M2, of all cars, and that is for damn sure.
Wow, congrats you win the award for biggest and worst assumption if all time. Ever look at Jay Leno's collection? There are lots of "ordinary" cars in his collection both new and classic, high dollar and inexpensive.

A direct quote from his Fux's instagram "Not every Fux car is a high end imported super car. #bmw makes some beauties."

And oh by the way, he has a Senna with a 500k carbon fiber body option. Not thinking he cares about 24k.
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
mikeahso411.50
bollinm25.00
      05-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #122
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

If I had $500mm, I would do stuff that cost me $24k just for the entertainment value of reading miserable people talk shit
Appreciate 6
cptobvious2531.50
el_june19.50
SickFinga1329.00
mikeahso411.50
Davil6523.00
M2Crew219.00
      05-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #123
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
If I had $500mm, I would do stuff that cost me $24k just for the entertainment value of reading miserable people talk shit
:
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #124
whitedc5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f82

24k lol wut....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #125
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Money make things happen folks! locked the thread mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #126
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1530010
Attached Images

Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #127
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Quote:
What would he be buying?
Quote:
Quote:

No need to spend $25k on paint. One of the main reasons I bought the car is the HS colour. So. Beautiful. From memory it was about a year ago when I was motivated enough to go to the dealer and order one. Anyway. You live your life. I'll live mine. I'm enjoying it with nothing to prove. Bye.
You guys are taking it the wrong way, like I'm trying to shit on the M2 or something, my middle-class ass has one also, that's not it.

I'm saying logically, someone of that caliber, who has that kind of money to burn wouldn't not seriously entertain the idea of an entry-level M car, that what the M4 is there for..

People who are filthy rich buy the an M2 for their snotty-nosed kids or their 22 year old mistress or something.

Not taking anything away from the vehicle but it has a niche demographic and the 1%-ers is not one of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #128
mikeahso
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: various

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Quote:
What would he be buying?
Quote:
Quote:

No need to spend $25k on paint. One of the main reasons I bought the car is the HS colour. So. Beautiful. From memory it was about a year ago when I was motivated enough to go to the dealer and order one. Anyway. You live your life. I'll live mine. I'm enjoying it with nothing to prove. Bye.
You guys are taking it the wrong way, like I'm trying to shit on the M2 or something, my middle-class ass has one also, that's not it.

I'm saying logically, someone of that caliber, who has that kind of money to burn wouldn't not seriously entertain the idea of an entry-level M car, that what the M4 is there for..

People who are filthy rich buy the an M2 for their snotty-nosed kids or their 22 year old mistress or something.

Not taking anything away from the vehicle but it has a niche demographic and the 1%-ers is not one of them.
I generally agree with most of your posts on this forum. Your posts in this thread however are different.

In some sense I do put a lot of indifference on forums as being culturally driven. Your comment earlier about how "your typical M2 buyer is a sub $100k earner" is an example of this. Even correcting for local currency, this is certainly not the case in my country.

As for your comments about "millionaires not interested in this car". I find this some where between obtuse and ignorant.

I'm not a UHNW individual myself. Far from it.
I mean, I'm doing ok. 30s. Mortgage free. Investment property. I'm still working for the money, not it working for me though.

I do have a lot of UHNW clients though, and so does my wife. We are both consultants to these people, so have a fair understanding of how many of them tick.

In my experience, people that look at cars as status symbols do so because they judge a person on face value.

I've seen first hand recently, clients worth $100m+ turn up to a site meeting of their $5m+ holiday home under construction in a car worth $10k. At the same time on the same site; there were tradies working for at best $40/hour with leased cars worth $80k in the same car park.

This isn't an attack on you personally Poochie - just providing a different outlook. Others seem to not be able to grasp the concept of paying $20k for a paint job.

Just because you can't justify something, doesn't mean someone else can't. My wife buys $50 pens for her work, I can't justify that. I buy $2.80/L gas for my car, she doesn't.

I really wanted a a SMB M2C. I offered as much as $25kNZD ($12kUSD), and was declined. I thought about paying more, but didn't. Not because I couldn't. Turns out to have been a good (lucky) decision, as the M2CS is coming in blue. It's not SMB but it's okay.

I think this money point is similar to how I've seen people on forums react to driving ability. "Oh you take the traction control off, you better be a pro driver RIP". Just because you're not confident with the TC off, doesn't mean the person that is is a professional. You're assuming you're an 8/10, when in truth you're probably a 3/10.
In other words; there's a lot more people above you than you realise that can do the thing that you can't.

Same story with this paint job. You can't justify it? Fine. Doesn't mean the person needs to be a billionaire. Doesn't mean the person is crazy.

I think it's crazy when people replace their perfectly good wheels/suspension/exhaust that were tuned for the car with something of lower quality and/or off the shelf. That's a whole other yarn though. Just making the point that I don't need to justify my self by calling others on things I don't agree with.

Live your own life people!
Appreciate 4
Davil6523.00
natmad667.00
      05-25-2019, 10:29 PM   #129
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Not taking anything away from the vehicle but it has a niche demographic and the 1%ers is not one of them.
When you buy an M2 for your snotty-nosed kids, you generally don't request door sills with "Specially made for Your First & Last name" on the door sills.

I'm sure hundreds of people asked BMW to paint an M2 in a color that's not officially offered for it. All but two were turned down. This makes an Individual colored M2 more exclusive than any other M car out there. Something that a flamboyantly wealthy person would be after.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 05:52 AM   #130
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post

You spend money to buy yourself time. You spend money to buy convenience. You spend money to get what you want, when you want it, because you have lots of money - what you don't have is lots of time. Time is the one and truly only non-renewable resource in this universe. So, whoever is spending $24k on this individual color for his M2C... I applaud that gentleman. He's got enough money to buy what he wants, when he wants it.
Exactly. The simplest way to describe money is that it gives you choices. That’s about it really. From there, it’s up to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #131
M3Fury
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT ZCP MPE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fury View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
seems like a mistake, individual paints can get pricey like some silvers but I haven't seen any above $20k
Not a mistake. You can't get individual paint on the M2 unless you're very high up. Hence the price.
that color in particular is what I'm referring to, it's never $24k. I'm fully aware of the individual program and not new around here. I'm sure if tou ask the right people it can be done for not a ridiculous amount
It's 24k because individual paint is not possible in the Leipzig factory. It goes to a different factory to get painted on a different line. Extra cost comes from the shipping and logistics of that
That is the most reasonable explanation so far albeit still steep for added logistics.
It's more than just logistics though. The manufacturing lines are designed so that the cars don't leave it until they're ready. Having to take out the naked car body from the production line, to be painted, just to be put back in the production line complicates things thoroughly. Pretty sure it comes with serious interruptions to the lines. Add that to the fact that the paint shop would have to be separately modified to incorporate the M2 as well.
I use logistics broadly
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #132
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
https://cafehayek.com/2016/02/40405.html

As for why somebody with lots of money might buy an M2C as opposed to a Ferrari or Pagani whatever other super car... there's a thing called "fixed cost economics." Because R&D is a fixed cost that gets allocated... you know what? I'll shut up now.
thanks for sharing that link..

i realized a little while ago that time really is the only true luxury..