BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Finally back to the BMW fam: 2020 M2c Euro Delivery

05-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Finally back to the BMW fam: 2020 M2c Euro Delivery

It has been a long journey, initially had a deposit for the OG M2 back in 2015 but backed out because I wasn’t entirely sold on the car, particularly the N55 and its lack of tuning potential. When images of an S55 M2 test mule surfaced I went straight to my dealer we created the list for what we believed would be at the time “M2 CS”. That was back in September 2016… and finally, just last week I dropped off my M2c after picking it up at the Welt and driving across Europe for a couple weeks!

Future pics: IG @filet.M2c (formerly known as synergist, just changed my name to match)

Spec:
6MT: obvious choice for me #savethemanual
Chose HS because I wasn’t particularly a fan of the other offerings. Looks great, dynamic from a light blue-ish gray to metallic white… ultimately a “special” white imo (more on this later)
Exec: need those new headlights
Moon roof: I know the “purist” options without so this was a tough decision for me. Wish there was a CF roof option because it would have made it easy because it looks badass. Ultimately decided I enjoy having the ability to open up/crack the roof > most likely unperceivable difference in driving dynamics at my capabilities. After keeping it open nearly this entire trip, I’m glad I did.

The path was Munich> Swiss Alps> Zurich> Frankfurt> Nurburgring> Prague> Berlin> Amsterdam

Did nearly 2000 miles and 40 hours of driving. Got to experience driving in a lot various conditions and in short, the car is phenomenal. By far the best car I have ever owned by a large margin. A little background, this is my 5th BMW, first new car purchase ever though… been taking advantage of the no sales tax on private auto sales in AZ. A few of the previous cars were 3X e46 M3s, N54 135i, trans am WS6, mk6 golf R, and currently a mk7 GTI (will be keeping). Thought I’d share my thoughts while it’s still fresh.

Driving:
Absolute blast to drive, even during break in (<5K & no WOT) there was plenty of power on tap. I read a couple posts here complaining their M2c was slow… I did not experience this. There is a substantial difference in throttle response between Sport+ and Sport/comfort. You can feel the boost/ power build progressively and once you hit 2.5/3K the car takes off. I had my break in service completed during the trip and will say that I felt like the car could use more in the upper range (6-7K), something a tune will address in the future. The engagement point on the clutch also felt a bit high, so a clutch stop is probably in my future. The throws/ shifter feel is great imo.

Handling was also superb. Both on street and at the Nurburgring, the car felt like it was planted while still having a little play. Granted I was not pushing the limits, even on track, but wherever I pointed the wheel, the car went. I am by no means a fantastic driver, but this car is very confidence inspiring. Ride is a bit firm, but not harsh in the slightest imo. We drove on all sorts of surfaces, some days >8 hours, and I never felt any pain or cramps… though I may be younger than many of you here

I was reluctant about auto rev match at first but after using it, I think it’ great. Definitely made me feel like a far more skilled driver than I really am. In situations where’d I’d be lazy and probably go 4>2, I now go 4>3>2 just for the crackles/pops from the exhaust. Does make downshifting nearly effortless while remaining enjoyable. Still though, the feeling of executing a perfect heel toe yourself is one I am not ready to get rid of and I’d like the option without turning off all TC. Wish they’d just incorporate an on/off switch. Imagine they do this to reduce the failure rates of synchros/ clutches under warranty, so coding it is!

Safe to say, when I got back from the airport and drove my GTI, the month+ wait hit me Feels like I'm driving a piece of melted butter

Interior/ Tech:

The good:
-With all the adjustability, I was able to get in the perfect driving position. The seats are supportive and comfortable. Materials all feel good.
- Gauges are easy to read under any lighting
-Infotainment is intuitive and responsive. Was not able to use apple car play yet(region locked), so looking forward to having that when the car is back. Sound system is more than acceptable, sounds clear and crisp, even at higher volumes.
-With the back seats down, this car is very spacious. Easily transported 2 full size luggage, 2 check in bags, and 2 backpacks with ease.
-Lane assist is interesting. The steering wheel slightly vibrates. Thought it was just the feel through the steering wheel at first. It’s non obtrusive and I have no issue keeping it on.

The bad:
-Increasing the side bolstering felt like it was just filling in more behind my back (near the sides), rather than out around my sides. Was still able to find a decent setting, but this could be better imo.
- The parking sensor alarm remains on even when in neutral/ handbrake up. Don’t know how this passes QC/ testing. I pull into a spot and don’t always shut off my car immediately. Doesn’t help that the alarm is annoying. Imagine I can code this/ shut off sound entirely?
-The rear camera is exposed/ gets dirty easily. Not that big of a deal, just wipe it off with a microfiber, but I’ve been spoiled with my GTI because it’s concealed behind the badge.
-The “efficient dynamics” digital gauge under the tach. Apparently you can only use this screen for this mpg display or driving settings? I give 0 shits about my real time mpg in this car… nor do I need static information such as driving modes populating an entire screen. The entire point of a digital display is adjustability… and BMW limits us to 2 useless options. Would have liked to display oil temp there as I used the center screen for Km/h. Hope BMW updates this with more options.

Now some pics:

Pick up at the Welt. Awesome place.

The BMW museum next door is a must see as well

The Swiss Alps were incredible. The tunnels through the mountains are a massive engineering feat and as out exit you’re always welcomed by breath taking landscapes.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sjH64WWSJBo

The Nurburgring is a magical place. Was a bit nervous at first but that quickly wore off. Had to follow break in procedures, which was probably good because that forced me to take it easy. Still plenty of fun. The car felt right at home. Stable through the turns, balanced, and predictable.

Stayed in a great little place called Landhaus Sonnenhoff about 15 mins from the Ring. Woke up in the middle of the night, went out to my balcony, took a look at the sky, and needed to get a shot.

This image shows off the darker shades of HS

She’s a thirsty one…

My European BMW service experience:
Our trip was dynamic. We had a few anchor points, but mostly just booked a hotel a day before and kept the plan fluid. I knew Friday I was driving into Berlin Sat-Tues and that would actually put me at 1350 miles, so I’d definitely need the service before driving to Amsterdam. I called the listed service number for a dealer Friday and was forwarded to a central location for scheduling. They told me they do not work Saturdays, Sundays, and Tuesday was a holiday. Monday was my only option. They said the schedule was not completely full but they could not schedule me in on such short notice. They recommended I call again Monday morning. I spoke to the same service scheduler Monday morning and they told me to take the car in and they should be able to fit me in if I’m flexible.

It takes me 55 mins to travel 4 miles to the address given to me only to find that was the address for their central location and not the actual service center. I’m a bit frustrated, but nbd, the actual location was only 15 mins away. I arrive at the dealer and speak to the service receptionist. After difficulty distinguishing between getting my brakes checked vs break in service she tells me the next opening would be in…13 days. I explained my euro delivery situation to her, how I urgently needed the service done before my next drive, and I was willing to leave the car there all day.

As I explained my dilemma, she interrupted me with “It is not possible” multiple times. I ask to speak with the manager and she calls him herself. She speaks in German on the phone for about 10-15 secs, hangs up, and says… “It is not possible.”

Up until this point, I’ve remained amicable and level headed, but now I was getting heated. I have just purchased my first new, in my books expensive, BMW, attempting to perform my first service, and am being treated like a nuisance rather than a valued customer. No accommodation whatsoever. I ask to speak to the manager directly and she attempted to stonewall me, saying she just spoke to him and there’s nothing he can do. That’s when I popped off a bit. I gather German workers probably don’t hear a slew of English vulgarities (none directed at the woman btw) because that got her to stop saying “It is not possible” and she called her manager down right away.

Once the manager came down, he was far more accommodating. He understood the urgency of my situation and took care of it. They don’t cover US cars in Europe. So you pay out of pocket and get reimbursed later. Cost of 1200 mile break in service in Europe? 430 Euros …/end rant

Well, break in service complete and there’s plenty of autobahn between there and Amsterdam... You know what that means.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NXecqu1kH9I

I always thought we should have the autobahn in the US but after experiencing it with great German drivers, I know we’d all die if US drivers were given that level of freedom. Here’s the one time I used my horn during the entire trip.

Last stop was Amsterdam. Looks like one of you dropped off your LBB shortly before me!

Future Plans:
First thing when the car gets back is a wrap. Like I said earlier, I like HS but think this car deserves a bolder color. I'm considering different options, but this will act as my ppf as well.

Will keep it cosmetic/ wheels/ suspension for at least the first 10K miles. Want some time to ensure I have not received one of those rare engine failures before I tune. Car felt plenty quick and driving my GTI as the daily will have me greatly appreciate the performance difference.
Appreciate 13
Poochie9104.50
Davil6524.50
cptobvious2531.50
nomoracin761.00
KevinM2935.50
kpham189.50
dmboone254972.00
Tag18149.00
Ian ///M491.00
      05-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
That's quite the trip! I wish I could have done ED, but too much else this year to manage. I'll have to live vicariously through those of you who managed it. That night shot was worth the effort.
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00
      05-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Now that is a BMW dissertation, an informative and excellent read. Driving the German countryside in a BMW conjures up a lifelong dream, not to mention the 'Ring. Nicely done!
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00
      05-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
We dropped off at Amsterdam too!

Question...did it feel shady to you there?
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00
      05-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #5
Dillon152
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

When did you pick up your car from Welt?

Last edited by Dillon152; 05-13-2019 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #6
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Love the Nurburgring picture!

That was definitely the highlight in my ED trip. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00
      05-12-2019, 11:34 PM   #7
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post

Amsterdam or the drop off location? I agree, the drop off location was a bit shady. Didn't actually go into an office, a guy came and met me in the lobby... did seem a bit off.
Appreciate 1
nomoracin761.00
      05-12-2019, 11:36 PM   #8
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon152 View Post
When did you pick up your car from Welt?
Picked up on 4/20! Also, you quoted my entire post for a simple question. Typically people do not want to scroll through the post twice. Do you mind editing your post to remove your quote?
Appreciate 2
///Cardia299.50
M2Cnme33.00
      05-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by filet.M2c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post

Amsterdam or the drop off location? I agree, the drop off location was a bit shady. Didn't actually go into an office, a guy came and met me in the lobby... did seem a bit off.
Yes, that's what happened with me too! I was like WTF is this??? What kind of company operates out of the lobby??? Haha. Plus, I had to drive my car myself through the gate and just park it in a random spot. I took photos and videos just in case too. LOL. The building itself was hard to find too because it's not well labeled/displayed (for lack of a better word).
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00
      05-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
Hingle Mccringleberry
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

I see you were over the supposed 155 mph speed limiter on that high speed autobahn run. Did you spec the M Driver's Pack to remove the limiter? Could it be that the speedo is off like some others on the forum have said? Does BMW just tell us that there is a 155 mph limiter bc they don't think there's ever a chance of hitting it in the US, but then gouge us for $2500 to make us feel like our car has more potential?

I picked up my LBB M2C at Welt on 4/27 and drove about 900 miles round trip through Switzerland, Italy, Austria, then back up to Munich! The autobahn is a trip, and definitely wouldn't fly in the US. People here aren't committed enough to driving culture and actually learning how to operate a motor vehicle properly and safely... Nonetheless, It was a hell of a time! I could only imagine a 3K mile trip and multiple week experience!
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00
      05-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #11
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by turley59 View Post
I see you were over the supposed 155 mph speed limiter on that high speed autobahn run. Did you spec the M Driver's Pack to remove the limiter? Could it be that the speedo is off like some others on the forum have said? Does BMW just tell us that there is a 155 mph limiter bc they don't think there's ever a chance of hitting it in the US, but then gouge us for $2500 to make us feel like our car has more potential?

I picked up my LBB M2C at Welt on 4/27 and drove about 900 miles round trip through Switzerland, Italy, Austria, then back up to Munich! The autobahn is a trip, and definitely wouldn't fly in the US. People here aren't committed enough to driving culture and actually learning how to operate a motor vehicle properly and safely... Nonetheless, It was a hell of a time! I could only imagine a 3K mile trip and multiple week experience!
The problem with the USA is it costs like $33 to get your license! That's ridiculous. ANYONE can get a license here with minimal training.

In Europe there is ALOT more training and it costs over $1000 euros I believe to get your license.

If I were a politician here in the USA I would strongly advocate getting a new drivers license to cost $2000 fee plus you need to take a rigorous drivers training course. Plus lowering registration and renewal fees due to the increase of driver license fees.

This is the main issue I see here in the USA compared to Europe. ANYONE can get your license here with minimal work and cheap. When things are cheap people that should not be driving are allowed to drive with little effort involved.

Last edited by chmura; 05-13-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
filet.M2c784.00
M2Cnme33.00
      05-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
somberlaine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (ED 6/6/19)

Great write up and wonderful trip. I am doing My ED in 3 weeks and I am wondering how much time do I need to set aside for the Museum tour.

My delivery date is 9:20 and the factory tour is scheduled for noon. will i have time in between to tour the museum?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turley59 View Post

Max I hit was 265kmh/ 165mph and I was limited there. I did not spec the M driver's package. If that is just a calibration error, that is quite inaccurate!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #14
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by somberlaine View Post
Great write up and wonderful trip. I am doing My ED in 3 weeks and I am wondering how much time do I need to set aside for the Museum tour.

My delivery date is 9:20 and the factory tour is scheduled for noon. will i have time in between to tour the museum?
Congrats! It is quite the experience. 1-2 hours for the museum should be solid imo
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #15
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
The problem with the USA is it costs like $33 to get your license! That's ridiculous. ANYONE can get a license here with minimal training.

In Europe there is ALOT more training and it costs over $1000 euros I believe to get your license.

If I were a politician here in the USA I would strongly advocate getting a new drivers license to cost $2000 fee plus you need to take a rigorous drivers training course. Plus lowering registration and renewal fees due to the increase of driver license fees.

This is the main issue I see here in the USA compared to Europe. ANYONE can get your license here with minimal work and cheap. When things are cheap people that should not be driving are allowed to drive with little effort involved.
I'm all for having a $2K license with more rigorous testing where the money is used to add 2 unrestricted "fast pass" lanes that require the special license to use. Based on the sheer size of the US and the predominance of driving, I think this would be a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #16
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Congratulations on the car and the trip! And 6MT FTW.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00
      05-14-2019, 12:37 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Great write up and congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:37 AM   #18
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
I'm all for having a $2K license with more rigorous testing where the money is used to add 2 unrestricted "fast pass" lanes that require the special license to use. Based on the sheer size of the US and the predominance of driving, I think this would be a great idea.
I'm more for the rigorous testing, licenses that restrict speed and some roads if you don't do well enough, or something like that than some larger dollar amount for the license that would be burden to some folk and not to others. I think most people on this board could more easily pay the 2k for their kid's license than the folk on a Kia Rio board could, and that has nothing to do with driving skill of said kid.

OP - looks like you had a marvelous time. Totally jealous!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #19
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Nice write up! And you got lucky you picked up your car before the airbag recall. I just did ED for my M2C last week but was only able to do a 5mph lap around the Welt then was given an M140i for the rest of my trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #20
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economatic View Post
Nice write up! And you got lucky you picked up your car before the airbag recall. I just did ED for my M2C last week but was only able to do a 5mph lap around the Welt then was given an M140i for the rest of my trip.
Damn! That is a major bummer. Do they provide any other form of compensation? I love the m140i though. 1 series were everywhere across Europe. Really wish we had them in the states.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #21
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Damn! That is a major bummer. Do they provide any other form of compensation? I love the m140i though. 1 series were everywhere across Europe. Really wish we had them in the states.
No, they didn't offer anything and I didn't ask. I really didn't want to be that guy throwing a fit about something relatively minor. They were super nice through the process and I can tell you the entire BMW staff at the Welt were a lot more disappointed about the situation than I was. Besides, I find it difficult to complain about a partially subsidized trip by BMW to Europe and a free rental car.
Appreciate 4
bri10425937.00
filet.M2c784.00
natmad667.00
M2Cnme33.00