BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Noise from rear diff/axles at low speeds

10-01-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Noise from rear diff/axles at low speeds

I have a 2018 M2 that is fairly new to me. At very low speeds, with the wheel turned at a moderate to high degree, I'm getting a noise from the rear diff/axles. It is not the crunching noise associated with the earlier build diffs.

Instead, it is a slight whirring/rotational noise. Nothing super loud, and it could just be the lsd acting as normal. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any guidance.

As a note, I mentioned this and took it to the dealer. They were unable to recreate the noise (of course) but their tech did manage to hit a piece of metal on the freeway and take out both of my left wheels and tires

Luckily, they were very apologetic and I got two new wheels, a set of tires, and an alignment for free.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
I have a 2018 M2 that is fairly new to me. At very low speeds, with the wheel turned at a moderate to high degree, I'm getting a noise from the rear diff/axles. It is not the crunching noise associated with the earlier build diffs.

Instead, it is a slight whirring/rotational noise. Nothing super loud, and it could just be the lsd acting as normal. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any guidance.

As a note, I mentioned this and took it to the dealer. They were unable to recreate the noise (of course) but their tech did manage to hit a piece of metal on the freeway and take out both of my left wheels and tires

Luckily, they were very apologetic and I got two new wheels, a set of tires, and an alignment for free.
It's normal. At very low speeds, even without turning it does that.

These cars makes all sorts of noises, it has a BMW badge which some associate with comfort and quiet, but I think that added M badge just throws all that out the window, as it should
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Bad wheel bearing ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C AW View Post
Bad wheel bearing ?
I'm going to have bulletproof inspect the wheel bearings, bushings etc. Irvine BMW says that the only damage was to the wheels and tires, but I want an independent shop to verify that everything else is okay.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676655
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1512939
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1304720
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Noisiest I've heard coming from the back is low speed 2-3 mph at a very sharp very steep upward turn while applying power, really sounds like loose metal.in the back lol
Appreciate 0