BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > HP numbers by Tune?

10-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
Infamus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
HP numbers by Tune?

First I did do an extensive search but what I found were a couple of posts / threads where someone posts a link that leads to nothing more than a product page with no HP information... Some products did provided the usual HP number like Turner, Vivid and the likes but I dont see anywhere the numbers for BM3's tune. Does anyone know where that information is published?
I'm surprised that a product so popular has no HP info on their web site (disclaimer- I could not find the info so if it is there link me please) that you can use to compare.

So does anyone have that information? what is the advertised gain from them for Stage 1 with 93 / 91? how about stage 2? and the likes...

I want to get a tune but I also want to make an informed purchase... Thanks in advance for the info
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

I could be wrong but I think one of the reasons might be that there is no single hp/torque gain that applies to everyone. I know they keep sending updates, which might change them too.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:10 AM   #3
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
I could be wrong but I think one of the reasons might be that there is no single hp/torque gain that applies to everyone. I know they keep sending updates, which might change them too.
Several Points:
  • Every dyno reads differently, so the delta from stock is more important than just a number.
  • As stock, the DME is tuned to a load target rather than a boost target, so you'll get similar performance in the summer and winter. Tuning, to some extent, takes the head room out of that, meaning that you'll get less performance when it's hot. 'Glory Runs' are meaningless if they're not consistent
  • There are several different tuning approaches out there, and most would rather not compete on 'Glory Run' numbers; better to just avoid the discussion
  • Octane plays arguably the BIGGEST factor with the N55. Many people choose to run E85 mixes, which improve octane, but strain the factory HPFP. There is some variability in these pumps; some can run more E85 than others. Others choose to run WMI; is that classed as bolt on or not?
  • If, for example, an XDI HPFP is compatible with an OTS map (which it is), and you run a higher E85 mix, you'll probably get better results than if you ran a lower blend. In other words, there are too many variables with bolt ons.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
Infamus75.00
      10-08-2019, 02:14 AM   #4
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

My own story is that CA fuel is very low octane compared to most of the world, and also already contains quite a bit of Ethanol. I logged the stock map and have bad timing pull with CA 91 gas, so I tried adding more E85 to improve octane to run the BM3 OTS 91 map and hit the limit of my HPFP...

Just as a point of reference, I get ~16 mpg commuting to work, and about ~25 mpg on a long freeway run... If I'm lucky. CA fuel has so little capability that it takes a load more of it to burn effectively. Meth injection isn't used unless the load is high, so it doesn't affect cruising MPG at all, but I can say that if I'm on it, the fuel consumption does seem better now.

I'm now running WMI 50:50 mix, and can happily run the BM3 OTS 93 map even on the hottest summer day. I'm pretty sure I'm consistently putting down quite a bit more power than anyone else in CA running the same map (if they even could), but that's to be expected. Would my numbers therefore be unfair for BM3 to publish... possibly, technically I am running the standard BM3 OTS map.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post
First I did do an extensive search but what I found were a couple of posts / threads where someone posts a link that leads to nothing more than a product page with no HP information... Some products did provided the usual HP number like Turner, Vivid and the likes but I dont see anywhere the numbers for BM3's tune. Does anyone know where that information is published?
I'm surprised that a product so popular has no HP info on their web site (disclaimer- I could not find the info so if it is there link me please) that you can use to compare.

So does anyone have that information? what is the advertised gain from them for Stage 1 with 93 / 91? how about stage 2? and the likes...

I want to get a tune but I also want to make an informed purchase... Thanks in advance for the info
Best bet is to check customer posted dynos, lots of manufacturers inflate their numbers anyways.

If you are looking for the most aggressive out of the box tune, get Active Autowerke flash.

If you want the best flash in terms of power, features, etc.. get the BM3.
It offers very strong off the shelf maps and we offer custom maps for customers wanting maximum power safely.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Infamus75.00
      10-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

all you can get is a ball park from other peoples dynos. every dynos reads different..fuel, temp, evelation, health of the engine can all change those numbers.

all you can do is figure out what your powers goals are and do as much research as you can in how to get there.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
Infamus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
thanks for the feedback gents...
Appreciate 0