09-10-2023, 01:40 PM   #1
RC84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Raceseng shift knob install

Here's my Raceseng shift knob install. Modified a spare oem boot.

Photos below is using a Raceseng Circuit Sphere 100 shift knob with Short Extender. I also ordered the Stratose shift knob over labor day. Currently awaiting delivery.

The Shift boot was modified by carefully trimming the alcantara and enlarging the hole/plastic ring to fit around the Raceseng bmw adapter. The alcantara appears to be glued to the ring so pretrimming the alcantara was critical since I wanted to maintain the bond and keep the edge clean.

I used a garden hose o ring to snug the boot. The o ring rests against a lip which helps keep it secure. It appears to be very solid and I don't foresee it getting loose.

Pretty happy with the results so thought I'd share.
Attached Images

Last edited by RC84; 09-10-2023 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
drp087233.00
      09-22-2023, 12:36 AM   #2
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

Thanks for the DIY, I got my Raceseng Stratose in Alcantara, followed your instructions and it was the cleanest install!

Adding some pics for reference, but some additional tips for anyone else that might be interested.

The height for the Stratose is about 5-6mm higher than the OEM knob, think it also equates to about 11-13mm higher than M-performance knob (which I switched from) This ends up with a longer throw due to higher position, easier engagement, less notchy, quieter shifts due to heavier knob, and the "direct" feel is close to the M-perf knob (vs OEM) but does feel dumbed down a little.

I used to half round metal file to file my way down on the plastic ring, while cleaning it up with an x-acto knife, but be careful not to wear down the inside Alcantara with the filer!

When you get close to the larger size of the ring, you ideally want to get the hole just enough to sit snug against the knob, so go slow- I filed just a bit too much, and the plastic ring got a little too big, and had to use garden hose O-ring as OP did.

I got this before ordering my AS SSK, as Ron advised I find the shiftknob I want to use (since they are different heights) BEFORE I decide on specs of the SSK. I do think the throws with the Stratose are too long, so I'd only get this if I was getting the SSK. Otherwise, I'd stick with M-perf knob or even another shorter Raceseng Knob.
Attached Images

09-24-2023, 09:25 PM   #3
RC84
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Nice!...you will like really like the Auto Solutiins shifter.

I went with 25% reduction with 95a bushings.

Overall, shifter feel has improved a lot and shifts are more effortless. Currently using the Stratose shift knob with extension.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 09:30 PM   #4
RC84
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Photos of current setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
drp087233.00
      09-25-2023, 03:10 AM   #5
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

RC84 Nice! did you keep the OEM height? I felt the Stratos was a bit high- it's higher than OEM by 6mm, so I was going to get the SSK 15mm shorter, but it looks like you went the other way and extended it. I was also going to go for 25% reduction, but with the 6mm longer Stratos it drops it down to 22.25%