BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Shifter extension M2C - mod question

08-02-2023, 08:39 AM   #1
danvansan81
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2C ; MR2 MKII Turbo ; E36

Question Shifter extension M2C - mod question

Hello everyone,
I wanted to ask for some feedback on a mod that I wanted to do on the shifter stick.
The plan was to extend it to get a slightly higher shift knob position.

What are your opinions on the Layout?
-I thought about securing it with a grub screw where the 2 pieces meet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 10:09 AM   #2
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

I feel your better off with a custom short shift kit than the method you're planning.

Though I do see the appeal of delivery speed and costs vs going custom. I don't think it's worth the savings, personally.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 10:52 AM   #3
danvansan81
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Hello (K) . I know what you mean,
I have an issue with my wrist after breaking it in a sport accident - so I am trying to figure out a solution that fits me best, without reaching down too far, if that makes sense.
The stock shift knob we have is a bit rubbery in feel compared with smaller ones.
Anyway that extension thing was my idea until now mounting a smaller diameter shiftknob but lift it a bit up - whilst still able to rest my arm on the arm rest, not giving tension to my wrist.
Appreciate 1
(K)1278.00
      08-02-2023, 12:07 PM   #4
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Sorry to hear about your injury! Glad to hear it wasn't bad enough to take the joy of driving away from you.

I'd recommend going the whole way and getting the custom shifter, it will make the shifter feel much more crisp and you can even specify the height/length. Myself and many members will refer you to Ron at AutoSolutions for the kit, though there are a few others available (CAE comes to mind if you're looking for more height).

The downside is the wait time. I know Ron's kits take some time to produce and if you're international it will make the wait that much longer.

Still, it's absolutely worth it in my opinion. Wishing you many more enjoyable miles !
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 06:44 AM   #5
danvansan81
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Oh, thank you for the info about that company, I didnt know them, that might be what I need. I will send a message asap!
Thanks again for the nice reply!
Appreciate 1
(K)1278.00
      08-03-2023, 03:38 PM   #6
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

Ron at AutoSolutions can manufacturer pretty much whatever you want. You need to decide ahead of time though what height you want and do you want the same shifter feel. In your method, increasing knob height and changing nothing else will essentially make it a long shift kit. Ron can balance the increase in knob height with a reduction in the length of the lever below the pivot if so desired. You have a lot of options, but determining the right one is likely the most difficult part. I would reach out to Ron and work through what you are trying to achieve. His kits aren't cheap, but they are very well made.
Appreciate 1