BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Emergency brake

06-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Emergency brake

Anyone else have there emergency brake seem too loosen up over time? 8k on the clock and I've got to pull it all the way up to get any real bite.

When I bought it I'm pretty sure it didn't take that much force to get engagement.

Nothing major, just curious if I'm losing my mind or it's really loosening up
      06-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

This has happened on F80 after 3 or so years and 21000 miles. It happened once in a while at first when it was really wet out. But then it happens more frequently now on any type of substantial slope. Has to be pulled all the way up. Once and a while my wife or I will forget the e-brake is up and begin to drive off, but even in her DCT, we notice it almost immediately within a short distance and put the ebrake down. We just assumed that over time those times we forget has worn the brake mechanism a bit and is what is causing it now.

Don't know how helpful this is, but thought I'd give you another data point.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
The ebrake or handbrake as I call it on BMW's is an internal rear shoe in the rear drum except for newer electric ones where it's on the pad. There are exceptions but not relevant here. The adjustment is quite easy and if you ant a run down just say, I don't want to patronise people telling them how to do something they know already.

One thing with this design is the fact the shoes never touch the internal drum with any movement to clear rust and bed the shoes.

Once a month I pull out of a slow junction and with the button held drive and ease up the handbrake to just drag the back and that cleans up the inside. Also for a good bed do it in reverse too. When the travel gets long and the self adjusting doesn't get the slack out adjust at the wheels.

What can happen is the drum gets cruddy and the brake becomes ineffective and the lever is pulled harder and harder to compensate making the cables need adjusting.

Hope that's all helpful
Appreciate 1
Driver87253.00
      06-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCollection View Post
The ebrake or handbrake as I call it on BMW's is an internal rear shoe in the rear drum except for newer electric ones where it's on the pad. There are exceptions but not relevant here. The adjustment is quite easy and if you ant a run down just say, I don't want to patronise people telling them how to do something they know already.

One thing with this design is the fact the shoes never touch the internal drum with any movement to clear rust and bed the shoes.

Once a month I pull out of a slow junction and with the button held drive and ease up the handbrake to just drag the back and that cleans up the inside. Also for a good bed do it in reverse too. When the travel gets long and the self adjusting doesn't get the slack out adjust at the wheels.

What can happen is the drum gets cruddy and the brake becomes ineffective and the lever is pulled harder and harder to compensate making the cables need adjusting.

Hope that's all helpful
I'll give this a shot, thank you!
      06-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

You can adjust the parking brake via the hole in the wheel hub, there you will find the star wheel to adjust the parking brake. Search for DIY or videos on how to do it, there are tons out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
No worries, hope it works but after if it's too long a pull it may need adjustment
Appreciate 0