BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > feedback on a differential brace

04-29-2023, 06:15 PM   #1
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

feedback on a differential brace

I have a stock tune CS with Akrapovic exhaust and intake. I don’t plan on tuning, but I am looking to eliminate wheel hop upon take off.

https://www.rktunes.com/products/rk-...3-f87-m2-m3-m4

Who has one and does it eliminate wheel hop? Any drawbacks to it?

I read that the F chassis only has one mount vs 2 on the E and G chassis.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

I think it's a worthwhile mod (it's on my to-do list) and I think you may want to consider the Powerflex bushing kit in addition to the differential bracket to help with the wheel hop also. I've been reading that the street bushings don't introduce NVH (or at least not a significant amount). I figured if you're going to do the bracket you might as well do the bushings too.

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/pr...ory=1779#attr=

Edit: I'm seeing that RKTunes uses Powerflex bushings in their full kit too. You can't go wrong with any of these bracket kits as long as they're using the Powerflex bushings. It really comes down to your preference in color and which vender you want to support as the prices are similar.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 02:04 AM   #3
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

I have the Powerflex dual mount bracket + their purple rear mounts (x 2) & the purple front diff mounts (x 4). Got them fitted when the diff/sub-frame had to be lowered to replace leaking diff seal.
There is a climbing hairpin corner near home & every time I turned that corner the inside rear wheel would lift & cause terrible drivetrain backlash as the wheel would repeatedly lose/gain traction (fairly light acceleration). Since getting the Powerflex mounts the drivetrain backlash has gone, the inside wheel still loses traction but it's now smooth. I have 6MT and can't speak for the wheel hop guys get when doing DCT launches.

The only negative is a diff whine when cruising at 100kp/h but I think that's more to do with the Powerflex purple mounts themselves and not the dual mount. You could go with the oem rubber mounts and most likely have no noise (I also had the oem oil filled rear mount which was updated to a solid rubber mount early 2018).
Appreciate 1
(K)1278.00
      04-30-2023, 07:24 AM   #4
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Do you feel that shifting has been improved with your Powerflex setup?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 07:39 AM   #5
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
I have the Powerflex dual mount bracket + their purple rear mounts (x 2) & the purple front diff mounts (x 4). Got them fitted when the diff/sub-frame had to be lowered to replace leaking diff seal.
There is a climbing hairpin corner near home & every time I turned that corner the inside rear wheel would lift & cause terrible drivetrain backlash as the wheel would repeatedly lose/gain traction (fairly light acceleration). Since getting the Powerflex mounts the drivetrain backlash has gone, the inside wheel still loses traction but it's now smooth. I have 6MT and can't speak for the wheel hop guys get when doing DCT launches.

The only negative is a diff whine when cruising at 100kp/h but I think that's more to do with the Powerflex purple mounts themselves and not the dual mount. You could go with the oem rubber mounts and most likely have no noise (I also had the oem oil filled rear mount which was updated to a solid rubber mount early 2018).
Lifting the wheel has nothing to do with the diff or bracket, if you don't want noise you should leave the oem front bushings & oem rear (polyurethane).

I have the oem front ones, and 2 oem rear ones (polyurethane), 0 noises.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 07:23 PM   #6
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Do you feel that shifting has been improved with your Powerflex setup?
I didn't notice any change to shifting with the Powerflex diff setup, note I already had AS SSK 20% (+ Raceseng Circuit Sphere), clutch stop 2 shims, CDV delete & Rogue trans mounts (& more recently the Turner shift arm rear poly mount).
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
(K)1278.00
      04-30-2023, 07:35 PM   #7
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
Lifting the wheel has nothing to do with the diff or bracket, if you don't want noise you should leave the oem front bushings & oem rear (polyurethane).

I have the oem front ones, and 2 oem rear ones (polyurethane), 0 noises.
You've misread my post, I didn't say the lifting wheel was related to the diff or bracket (of course that's suspension/road surface related).

What did change with the bracket/dual mounts is a 'smoother' drivetrain when the inside wheel was losing/regaining/losing/regaining..... traction. I can only assume with the oem single rear mount the diff was rotating under the changing load of losing/regaining traction & causing backlash (it was loud and didn't sound kind to the drivetrain). Still lose traction with the dual diff mounts but it's smoother & the horrible backlash is gone.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      05-02-2023, 06:35 PM   #8
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Thank you for the feedback. I will probably just add another factory bushing if I do move forward with this.

My car is a 6 speed manual and I want to enjoy the car while minimizing mods. The couple sites that showed install instructions with detail pics made it seem more involved than installing an intake or exhaust. I like easily reversible mods should I ever choose to sell it.
Appreciate 0