BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA EL midpipe - Melted Diffuser

07-08-2023, 04:37 PM   #23
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Oh I guess it does help a bit that I painted my muffler black haha. Never thought about that.

If you look back at older posts of mine you’ll see my confusion at the time because order of events was:

1. Install midpipe first week of March ‘21
2. Paint muffler black second week of May ‘21 and do not notice any melting

Then some time later after seeing this thread I check again and see some melted plastic. The thing I’ll never understand is why the melting didn’t happen in the first 8-9 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 08:10 AM   #24
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Yeah 100% heat expansion / extension.

Standard exhaust pushes back 1/2" or more when hot, EL even more due to multiple pipe bends expandiiiiiiing.

Same with my old Miltek, we had to cut the joint 1/2" too short so the back box was further "forward" on it's hangars when cold not just neutral, this meant when hot it didn't touch any plastics at the back box.

Last edited by doughboy; 07-14-2023 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 08:11 PM   #25
MSH_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYACTIVE View Post
Sorry to see this happening but it's the 1st time we have ever heard of this, the local guys here have no issues and have not had any other complaints. We at AA try to be as transparent as possible because if there is an issue we always try our best to resolve it. We will reach out to some of our locals here and have them come in so we can check the exhaust. In the mean time if anyone discover what may be the cause please let us know.
ONLYACTIVE any more data/local feedback on this since post was made? I was really set on adding the EL midpipe to my recently acquired M2C but these posts/issues aren't really helping sell this thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 06:57 AM   #26
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I’m not sure this is Active’s issue, I think BMW just put the diffuser just a little too close to the exhaust. It may be ok with the stock exhaust but there seems to be zero wiggle room. I had this issue with my MPE/AA single midpipe and just sort of let it self clearance itself, then cleaned up the edges. Granted, mine was not nearly as bad as some of the pics I’ve seen.

There is some opportunity to pull the exhaust box towards the front of the car via the slip coupling, but I’m not sure you’d want to put it in a bind like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 04:29 PM   #27
MSH_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I’m not sure this is Active’s issue, I think BMW just put the diffuser just a little too close to the exhaust. It may be ok with the stock exhaust but there seems to be zero wiggle room. I had this issue with my MPE/AA single midpipe and just sort of let it self clearance itself, then cleaned up the edges. Granted, mine was not nearly as bad as some of the pics I’ve seen.

There is some opportunity to pull the exhaust box towards the front of the car via the slip coupling, but I’m not sure you’d want to put it in a bind like that.
Understood. I just didn't know if they may revise the install instructions, parts, where the cuts were made, etc that may help mitigate the issue. If the issue is widespread enough and impacts potential sales of the midpipe I would think the incentive would be such for them to determine how customers could reduce the potential of this happening. I know I'm rethinking it now. I also figure with my luck I'd be one of the bad cases of the issue lol.
Appreciate 0