BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Downpipe Install?

06-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #133
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Hello all,
I want thank Xutvjet for his passion. If anyone has had a federal issue with their sport cat on their vehicle I would love to hear about their experience.

We use the HJS sport cats for our sport cat downpipes. Designed with a 200-cell HJS catalytic converter core for maximum performance and reliability; same cat core used on our Ferrari 458 Italia applications! You can add +21whp +36tq (ft/lbs).

I do want to reiterate that we do not have any problem passing emissions testing in 49 out of the 50 states and the sniffer test in the 50th state (sorry California).
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #134
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiK View Post
Just received my HJS downpipe. Are you guys replacing clamps and a gasket ring for a new ones?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_1203
02 Screw clamp 1 18307606136
03 Gasket ring 1 18307581970
04 Screw clamp 1 18307620349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
You don't "have to" but it is a good preventative measure.
Does the Fabspeed sport cat not come with new clamps?
I've been told these are one time use.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #135
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

You reuse what you have.
      07-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #136
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
You reuse what you have.
No. The metal gasket is clearly one time use. It conforms to the outlet of your new dp.
      07-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #137
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I reused the brass gasket. Its just a bitch to work with it. You can use it over and over and over.
      07-05-2018, 12:48 AM   #138
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

jesus, just went to BMW parts, they charged me 60$ aud for the gasket!...

goign to try and reuse if possible so i can return it haha..
      07-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #139
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Just to finish up my story... I returned from vacation on Thursday to find my Fabspeed Sport Cat waiting for me at home. I'd sent it back to them the day before I left to minimise the time my car would be out of action.

Struggling with Jet Lag, I woke up earlier than intended this morning and re-fitted the now fixed Sport Cat back to my car. Installation was a bit easier now that the bracket lines up because you can use the bracket fitted loosely to take the weight of the down pipe while you line up the turbo flange and V clamp.

I've now removed and re-fitted the down pipe three times, so I've got pretty good at it. All times were done on jack stands like this:

I was fortunate because I self installed, and because I was going on vacation. Overall though I think Fabspeed handled the issue well. Yes it was frustrating but these things happen and in my case they proactively reached out and fixed the issue.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #140
Nezil
Major
Rep

With all of the talk of replacing gaskets and clamps, I think it's important to point out that the stiffening plate bolts, which need to be removed if you're changing the down pipe, have a torque rating of 56 Nm + 90 degrees.

This sort of bolt is known as a 'Torque to Yield' bolt, and is designed to stretch slightly, which gives a more even and accurate tension to the bolt than simply torquing can apply. It does however mean that the bolts cannot safely be re-used.

I'm not sure quite why BMW decided to use these type of bolts, but they clearly do stretch. I re-used a set of bolts 3 times, and each time found it increasingly difficult to achieve the 90 degree angle after the first torque wrench setting; clearly the bolts had no more stretch left in them.

I also found that screwing the bolts into the threaded parts of the chassis became increasingly difficult, almost like they were cross threaded. This was presumably because the stretch had occurred to part of the threaded section of the bolt.

The last two times I used all new bolts, and everything went back together very easily and torqued up followed by 90 degrees very well.

There is a reason BMW says these bolts must be replaced every time...

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings

Last edited by Nezil; 07-09-2018 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #141
Nezil
Major
Rep

I was asked on another thread for the torque settings for the nuts and bolts required for the DP install, so here they are, taken from ISTA+:
  • Underbody panelling (self tapping screws): 3 Nm
  • Downpipe to Exhaust V Band Clamp (Should be replaced): 30 Nm
  • Downpipe to Turbo V Band Clamp (Should be replaced): 13 Nm
  • Exhaust system mid point mount to cross member (E10 Bolts): 28 Nm
  • Stiffening Plate to Front Axle (Should replace all bolts - see post above): 56 Nm + 90 degrees
  • Downpipe mounting bracket: 28 Nm
  • Oxygen Sensors: 50 Nm
I think that's everything. Let me know if there is something I missed.

Appreciate 3
KevM2723.50
Dabozo624.50
      07-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #142
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I was asked on another thread for the torque settings for the nuts and bolts required for the DP install, so here they are, taken from ISTA+:
  • Stiffening Plate to Front Axle (Should replace all bolts - see post above): 56 Nm + 90 degrees
Great! Thanks for these. The only one I'm not sure which one it is is the one you call "stiffening plate to front axle". Interestingly I found this guide for Akrapovic and all the values are different for some reason:

https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.ne...c329e97cb8.pdf
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #143
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Great! Thanks for these. The only one I'm not sure which one it is is the one you call "stiffening plate to front axle". Interestingly I found this guide for Akrapovic and all the values are different for some reason:

Stiffening plate to front axle are the eight bolts that hold the aluminum plate that is under the engine. I talk about these in my post above the torque settings.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 12:27 AM   #144
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Stiffening plate to front axle are the eight bolts that hold the aluminum plate that is under the engine. I talk about these in my post above the torque settings.
Ok good to know! Just seems like so much torque for something like that. It's because of these little details about correct torque and not reusing stretch bolts that I like doing it myself instead of some shop
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:00 AM   #145
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
Hello all
Hey mate, just recieved the downpipe, just want to confirm the downpipe has the newer flange before i spend half a day this weekend trying to fit it

Pics below

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:14 AM   #146
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ok good to know! Just seems like so much torque for something like that. It's because of these little details about correct torque and not reusing stretch bolts that I like doing it myself instead of some shop
Hey mate, what did you use to torque correctly? Ive got a wrench, but seeing the pics. It all seems very cramped up there

Ive got one of these, but doubtful itll be any use here
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/ToolPro-Torque-Wrench-3-8-Drive/214304
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #147
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
These torque specs are way too low for vband clamps IMO. I am not sure on what planet 13 Nm will stay tight enough with an aftermarket downpipe at the turbo vband clamp.
      07-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #148
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
Quote:
Hey mate, what did you use to torque correctly? Ive got a wrench, but seeing the pics. It all seems very cramped up there

Ive got one of these, but doubtful itll be any use here
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...8-Drive/214304

I will be doing the install next week and I was hoping I could use the same type of torque wrench with some long extensions but maybe it won't work?

Quote:
Quote:

What kind of a torquing device did you use? Wondering if id be able to use a regular torque wrench with long extensions to get to some of the bolts, specially the clamp to turbo end :
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #149
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
These torque specs are way too low for vband clamps IMO. I am not sure on what planet 13 Nm will stay tight enough with an aftermarket downpipe at the turbo vband clamp.
That 13Nm value has also been mentioned by another member somewhere else on this forum but I was wondering about that too. What would you think is a better torque? If the one towards exhausts is 30Nm then perhaps that's a good value for the turbo end too?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #150
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That 13Nm value has also been mentioned by another member somewhere else on this forum but I was wondering about that too. What would you think is a better torque? If the one towards exhausts is 30Nm then perhaps that's a good value for the turbo end too?
I am pretty anal about preventing exhaust leaks. For me a vband clamp should be as tight as possible by hand with a wrench sort of thing. The tighter it is, the closer it draws the two bell ends together.
      07-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #151
Nezil
Major
Rep

I have two torque wrenchs, both are click type and both were purchased in England because I could only find primarily Ft-lb wrenches in the US. BMWs are European, and the original specs are always therefore Nm not Ft-lb so I prefer a wrench that is primarily Nm rather than Ft-lb; not that it actually makes a difference!

So I have a 1/2" drive one that has a 30 ~ 210 Nm range, which I use for thinks like lug nuts, and a smaller 3/8" unit that has a 10 ~ 80 Nm range that I use for almost everything.

The 3/8" wrench did fit in the space for the top clamp, but it was tight. My wrench is cheap so the ratchet is pretty crap. It would only move one click at a time in the space available.

The top clamp is almost springy, so achieving 13 Nm takes quite a few turns. I did end up doing it tighter by accident because the click on my torque wrench at 13 Nm was so quiet that I didn't hear or feel it. Having said that I do think 13 Nm would be fine for this clamp because of the type of material etc. It's not designed to take the weight of the downpipe, only hold the faces together so it doesn't need to be tight. The torque settings I posted are from ISTA+, I didn't make them up, they are BMWs specs!

I also did the bottom downpipe to exhaust to 30 Nm, and that's really very tight for a V band clamp. The aluminum shaped washers were shedding fillings as I did it up because it was so tight. I torqued to speed, but it felt a little too tight to me.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #152
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I also did the bottom downpipe to exhaust to 30 Nm, and that's really very tight for a V band clamp. The aluminum shaped washers were shedding fillings as I did it up because it was so tight. I torqued to speed, but it felt a little too tight to me.
Did you crush the metal gasket? I found it too tight as well then realized I need to get the gasket crushed/formed to the new DP. Depending on how you set it up, it could be easy or hard to tighten it. I switched it out for a brand new one and found it much easier to tighten. I probably went somewhere around 40lb-ft. 30Nm is only 20lb-ft and I think that would have left a noticeable gap still.
      07-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #153
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
Did you crush the metal gasket? I found it too tight as well then realized I need to get the gasket crushed/formed to the new DP. Depending on how you set it up, it could be easy or hard to tighten it. I switched it out for a brand new one and found it much easier to tighten. I probably went somewhere around 40lb-ft. 30Nm is only 20lb-ft and I think that would have left a noticeable gap still.
Now I'm getting paranoid about too lose of a bolt and leaving gaps. I'm anal about torque specs and not leaving anything lose... what's the easiest way to determine that there are no leaks after?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #154
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Now I'm getting paranoid about too lose of a bolt and leaving gaps. I'm anal about torque specs and not leaving anything lose... what's the easiest way to determine that there are no leaks after?
Start it cold and put your face near it basically. It will be obvious. Ultimately visual inspection near the part not covered by the vband also helps.