BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Help!!! BMW M -Performance Rear CF LIP- Ends leave a Gap

03-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Help!!! BMW M -Performance Rear CF LIP- Ends leave a Gap

Hey guys-

Super annoyed right now what is the best 3M tape that I should use looks like I might have to reinstall the spoiler I do not want to use any type of case of interest permanently bonding the carbon fiber to the truck
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
Hey guys-

Super annoyed right now what is the best 3M tape that I should use looks like I might have to reinstall the spoiler I do not want to use any type of case of interest permanently bonding the carbon fiber to the truck
This has come up a few times before on here and I came across the threads when doing my spoiler. There seem to be a few options.

1. Did you align it correctly? If not aligned perfectly then it may not contour to the shape of the trunk well

2. Did you buy new and use the tape it came with? Some people add the 3M tape to the edges to make sure it sticks (3M VHB 5952 is what I used, they have different thicknesses) - I also used a heat gun to get it hot and clamps at the edges for 24 hours to get it to hold.

3. Some people use a bonding agent or adhesive promoter, this seems like overkill to me and good luck getting it off if you ever want to in the future.

4. In some cases, the spoiler is simply a bad batch and not curved properly to match up to the trunk. Some people have had luck ordering a new one - this has not been unique to BMW other aftermarket "high end" spoilers have had variation between batches.

Good luck, I hated this install - get the 3M eraser wheel if you need to get off adhesive.

Appreciate 2
ChrisK4449.00
FrozenGT1109.00
      03-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #3
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Hey guys-

I wanted my spoiler perfect, but there was 1/64" gap on each end. Most people would never see it, I will.

Solution. In addition to prep and 3m high strength autoBody tape. I used 100% black silicon and a syringe and squirted a tiny bead under the ends. I then clamped down the ends of the spoiler to the car with rubber ended tension clamps. After this, I cleaned any silicon that came out. (Almost none). Let it dry for a few days.

Perfect fit and finish and zero gap on the ends.

You can also do the same application with small amounts of betalink, but silicon is easy to cut with dental floss for removal later.

As @mosely said, many of these spoilers don't fit perfectly. Either it's the truck lid or spoiler, who knows. I figure the spoiler since the lids are stamped out.
FrozenGT1109.00
      03-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
Cannondale900
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, '10 535ixT, '91 M5

Garage List
2023 X5 45e  [0.00]
2015 LR4 HSE Lux + HD  [0.00]
1965 Shelby Cobra 4 ...  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey guys-

Updated to include all details:

I installed the rear spoiler lip last week. It did not quite sit perfectly flat on its own and the general consensus is that it is a hand made part that is not always perfect but should generally fit the body contours when placed correctly.

I added extra 3M Super Strength Molding tape (3M 03609) to only the ends of the spoiler which are notorious for lifting on a surface that is not perfectly prepped. I wiped the mating surface of the CF spoiler with rubbing alcohol and prepped with 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter (3M 06396). I have a heated garage but I used a hair dryer to warm up the parts even more just to assist.

I cleaned the trunk surface by claying and compounding then a simple detergent wash and wipe with rubbing alcohol. I applied the 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter on the trunk surface then warmed up the trunk surface with the hair dryer. I placed the spoiler and pressed down all along the portion that had tape. I then lay towels over the area and set bottles of windshield washer fluid and coolant across the area (especially the ends) and let sit overnight. I came back the next morning and wiped any adhesion promoter away with the rubbing alcohol.

The spoiler lip is super solid now. I think the adhesive promoter was a key step.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cannondale900; 03-30-2020 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 4
FrozenGT1109.00
ki__409.00
MystroX56244.50
      03-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale900 View Post
Quote:
Hey guys-

I installed the rear spoiler lip last week. It did not quite sit perfectly flat on its own and the general consensus is that it is a hand made part that is not always perfect but should generally fit the body contours when placed correctly.

I added extra 3M Super Strength Molding tape (3M 03609) to only the ends of the spoiler which are notorious for lifting on a surface that is not perfectly prepped. I wiped the mating surface of the CF spoiler with rubbing alcohol and prepped with 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter (3M 06396). I have a heated garage but I used a hair dryer to warm up the parts even more just to assist.

I cleaned the trunk surface by claying and compounding then a simple detergent wash and wipe with rubbing alcohol. I applied the 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter on the trunk surface then warmed up the trunk surface with the hair dryer. I placed the spoiler and pressed down all along the portion that had tape. I then lay towels over the area and set bottles of windshield washer fluid and coolant across the area (especially the ends) and let sit overnight. I came back the next morning and wiped any adhesion promoter away with the rubbing alcohol.

The spoiler lip is super solid now. I think the adhesive promoter was a key step.
Good Stuff!! Thank you. I just ordered some 3M and the promoter. Will update everyone soon.

I also did what you did I machine polish the finish on the trunk got it perfect and then installed it from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #6
DelGriffith
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale900 View Post

Wheels are fantastic! Please??

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...lector-inserts
'17 F87 MG M2-Gone
'19 F87 SO M2C
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Hey guys-

Sorry to hear that. I had several CF trunklid spoilers in the past and they all did this. Drove me nuts. That's why for my M2C, I'm not doing one.

It is surprising, however, to hear that the M Perf CF trunklid spoiler, which is basically OEM, does this.
Appreciate 0