BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C (or other M Car) Delivery Delays?

03-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #23
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
So what is the situation there? I know you guys are in lockdown what does that really mean? How/when do you get out to buy groceries/food? Whats open and what's closed? Just wondering what may be us in a few weeks. Thanks, and hope you guys recover soon, and you have your M2
I can tell you what it’s like in the Seattle area, the epicenter of the outbreak in the US. As of tonight they have shut down all bars and restaurants, only takeout/delivery allowed. Schools statewide shutdown, most government buildings e.g. libraries shutdown, city attorneys office shutdown, orders to work from home whenever possible leaving entire office buildings empty in a tech hub, cancellation of cruise-lines and conventions as big as Comic-Con leaving hotels at 10% occupancy. It’s literally starting to feel like the movie Outbreak. A lot of restaurants have already announced permanent closures. Beyond my health I fear the disastrous economic impacts that will last long after the containment of the virus. The complete failure of the government and CDC on this now officially declared pandemic is astonishing and deadly tragic, politics aside. I’m not trying to instill fear, anyone from Italy will know I’m just describing what I see.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      03-16-2020, 04:09 AM   #24
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroglava View Post
Hope yours is tracking faster than mine. My ship has slipped it's schedule about a week in total from when it left Bremerhaven to when it was supposed to get to Brunswick. Definitely first world problems, but I'm still excited about the car despite all the craziness going on.
Is there an easy way to figure this out? All I know is that the SA told me it would hit CA on 24 Mar.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #25
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Is there an easy way to figure this out? All I know is that the SA told me it would hit CA on 24 Mar.
Your SA should be able to tell you the ship's name that is hauling your car (it's in their info somewhere that BMW gives them). If you can find out who owns the ship, most of the companies (like Kline is mine) have a PDF schedule they post that shows dates for each port. If you find out the name of the ship, send me a PM and I'll help.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6798.00
      03-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #26
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your SA should be able to tell you the ship's name that is hauling your car (it's in their info somewhere that BMW gives them). If you can find out who owns the ship, most of the companies (like Kline is mine) have a PDF schedule they post that shows dates for each port. If you find out the name of the ship, send me a PM and I'll help.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #27
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

There will be delays in general.

I wouldn't expect things to move - at all - in the coming weeks. The situation is getting critical in Germany. Just get your mind ready for the worse outcome.

Good luck to everyone waiting for their car!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #28
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Yeah, my delivery is scheduled for the 27th (have to self isolate for 14 days). Might need to push it back further or cancel altogether if things get really crazy...
      03-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #29
newcar55
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota

Volkswagen just suspended production in Europe. BMW is probably next
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #30
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcar55 View Post
Volkswagen just suspended production in Europe. BMW is probably next
PSA and FCA have already stopped.
Volkswagen has stopped many production sites already and will stop the remaining until the end of this week.
Daimler will stop on 05th April.

It's just a matter of time - all OEMs will stop sooner or later in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 02:04 PM   #31
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

My car is "on the boat" and was supposed to hit the port in CA on 24 March.

Since Cali is now in a full-on lockdown, I haven't the foggiest idea when it'll make it to CO-- I'm assuming a 2-3 week delay at a minimum.

On the plus side, at least it's built and made it out of Europe before they shut everything down there.

On the minus side, I'm looking at a massive pay cut (~50%?) at a minimum, and may end up unemployed as my entire industry is destroyed. So, I'm not quite sure what to do with the car when it does get here. Wife says keep it, but the rational part of my brain says to walk away from it and eat the deposit.

Sigh.

R.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #32
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:

Since Cali is now in a full-on lockdown, I haven't the foggiest idea when it'll make it to CO-- I'm assuming a 2-3 week delay at a minimum.

On the plus side, at least it's built and made it out of Europe before they shut everything down there.

On the minus side, I'm looking at a massive pay cut (~50%?) at a minimum, and may end up unemployed as my entire industry is destroyed. So, I'm not quite sure what to do with the car when it does get here. Wife says keep it, but the rational part of my brain says to walk away from it and eat the deposit.

Sigh.

R.
Ah sorry to hear you will be in that position. I guess it really depends on the deposit. If it is $1K, like most, it may be a good option to step away, and save the $60K you will end up paying for it.

But again, only you can make that decision.
      03-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #33
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Sigh.

R.
Sorry to hear man, We will all be impacted somehow. Aren't deposits usually refundable by law? Check you state law, or talk to the dealer. These days people are relaxing many rules to keep people happy
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #34
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Deposits are fully refundable up here (quebec). It just seems like a weird time to make such a purchase. They are starting to say schools will be closed until sometime in May...
      03-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #35
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
Deposits are fully refundable up here (quebec). It just seems like a weird time to make such a purchase. They are starting to say schools will be closed until sometime in May...
I placed the order in December.

And, deposits here are usually non-refundable, especially on an Allocation order.

Basically, I'd lose $5k. I've got $40k in cash for the car and the remaining $17k set to finance at 2.74% for 60 months.

Both my wife and my father say to get the car and that things will work out.

I'm not so sure-- but I'm sick as a dog and guzzling Hot cider, honey and whiskey like there's no tomorrow as it's the only thing that makes my throat hurt.

And since I'm trapped in bed (and quarantine), all I can really do is read the industry and union forums and read the news.

Bad plan, that.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 03-20-2020 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #36
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Sorry to hear about the job issues and the fact that you are sick too. Not that it helps, but the world economy is going to take a bit to recover from this one. You know what is right for you and your family. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #37
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

And, deposits here are usually non-refundable, especially on an Allocation order.

Basically, I'd lose $5k. I've got $40k in cash for the car and the remaining $17k set to finance at 2.74% for 60 months.

I'm not so sure-- but I'm sick as a dog and guzzling Hot cider, honey and whiskey like there's no tomorrow as it's the only thing that makes my throat hurt.

And since I'm trapped in bed (and quarantine), all I can really do is read the industry and union forums and read the news.

Bad plan, that.

R.
That sucks, man. You and I basically ordered our cars at the same time with pretty much the same build. I'm kind of getting cold feet about mine as well with all of this going on now. Mines on the truck now coming my direction, but like you said the rational part of me thinks I need to hunker down and hold on to the cash for the time being until all of this blows over. The wife says I should get it, but I'm having a hard time justifying it when so many are hurting for work/money. It feels off somehow now...it's a confusing time for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #38
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post

Bad plan, that.

R.
Very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope things all work out. My car was to be built week 13 - next week, thats not happening. Not sure how things will shake out when they start production again
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #39
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
That sucks, man. You and I basically ordered our cars at the same time with pretty much the same build. I'm kind of getting cold feet about mine as well with all of this going on now. Mines on the truck now coming my direction, but like you said the rational part of me thinks I need to hunker down and hold on to the cash for the time being until all of this blows over. The wife says I should get it, but I'm having a hard time justifying it when so many are hurting for work/money. It feels off somehow now...it's a confusing time for sure.
You don't happen to be Catholic (or, insert favorite religion here)? That guilt will kill you ... You _can_ be a good person, live a good life, care for your fellow man and have toys. The M2C is on the low end of ostentatious but your local neighborhood might be different.

If you are in a financially decent position, the wife approves, and the car comes in I would move forward. None of us knows how much time we have left (Kobe) or how long they will be making cars that are "fun" to drive that we actually get to drive. On the other hand, if the world situation and your personal financial situation weigh so heavy that you can't enjoy the car or your life then don't buy.

Either way, just be at peace with your decision. The world will get better, the economy will get better and there will be other cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #40
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
You don't happen to be Catholic (or, insert favorite religion here)? That guilt will kill you ... You _can_ be a good person, live a good life, care for your fellow man and have toys. The M2C is on the low end of ostentatious but your local neighborhood might be different.

If you are in a financially decent position, the wife approves, and the car comes in I would move forward. None of us knows how much time we have left (Kobe) or how long they will be making cars that are "fun" to drive that we actually get to drive. On the other hand, if the world situation and your personal financial situation weigh so heavy that you can't enjoy the car or your life then don't buy.

Either way, just be at peace with your decision. The world will get better, the economy will get better and there will be other cars.

Nope, not Catholic . No guilt here, just know that this whole situation is giving new perspective as I see a lot of people are going to be without jobs and getting hit hard. Which makes me think about the future more closely.

I'm mostly thinking about whether in this environment it makes more sense to wait it out...and the other part of me thinks maybe this will be one of the last M2Cs to make it out of the production line.

Somehow this whole COVID-19 situation has really taken the excitement out out of this for me. I wish it weren't true, but it has for whatever reason.

I certainly am not buying this car for anyone else or to impress anyone, but I also don't want to appear to be flaunting it during this time where so many are hurting or are going to be hurting and without their jobs.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 06:47 AM   #41
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post

Nope, not Catholic . No guilt here, just know that this whole situation is giving new perspective as I see a lot of people are going to be without jobs and getting hit hard. Which makes me think about the future more closely.

I'm mostly thinking about whether in this environment it makes more sense to wait it out...and the other part of me thinks maybe this will be one of the last M2Cs to make it out of the production line.

Somehow this whole COVID-19 situation has really taken the excitement out out of this for me. I wish it weren't true, but it has for whatever reason.

I certainly am not buying this car for anyone else or to impress anyone, but I also don't want to appear to be flaunting it during this time where so many are hurting or are going to be hurting and without their jobs.
You've got to do what's best for you financially, but if you are ok with it then go get your car. It's not boasting or flaunting. You worked for this car, you earned it, and you are buying like you would. You are also not spending $100k on a car, which appears to be very acceptable these days. This is why i bought an M2, it's a very sensible purchase and excellent value for money. I also think that the economy has to move to some degree or face complete collapse. You car purchase helps keep jobs going and drives value across the supply chain. I know it doesn't feel that way, but every purchase these days adds up.

None of us have a crystal ball into the future, so you do what your gut tells you to do. That's always the best guide.
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      03-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #42
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
You've got to do what's best for you financially, but if you are okay with it then go get your car. I also think that the economy has to move to some degree or face complete collapse. You car purchase helps keep jobs going and drives value across the supply chain. I know it doesn't feel that way, but every purchase these days adds up.

None of us have a crystal ball into the future, so you do what your gut tells you to do. That's always the best guide.
I agree, you planned this purchase prior to the collapse. If you can still feel comfortable with the purchase you are helping the economy move forward and repair itself. Just my 2 cents.

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 09:40 PM   #43
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      03-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #44
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
I agree, you planned this purchase prior to the collapse. If you can still feel comfortable with the purchase you are helping the economy move forward and repair itself. Just my 2 cents.
This is a good point and also those from Big Kutta. The SA I've been working with since December is newer/younger and I certainly want to help in my local community to some degree. I'm also having PPF done, so that'll help some with a local business too. As I said, it's just hard to get excited for it now given the dark shadow that's going to be across the whole world for a while.

Thanks for the kind words and advice to all.
Appreciate 0