BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Google Maps - Waze topics

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #23
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
DivideBYZero's Avatar
United Kingdom
462
Rep
822
Posts

Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Are you serious?
__________________
2017 F87 M2, MG, M-DCT
2002 E36/7 Z3 2.2 Sport 5MT
2016 F22 M235i Coupe, MW, ZF8
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #24
Aronis
Lieutenant Colonel
Aronis's Avatar
1083
Rep
1,877
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Binghamton, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
Are you serious?
About what? Does your google maps show detail at a lower resolution? I cannot find a setting anywhere.

Mike
__________________

2018 M5 and 2015 Q7
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #25
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
DivideBYZero's Avatar
United Kingdom
462
Rep
822
Posts

Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I guess I'm wondering what the value of fields and sat images is at a lower distance setting. The mapping is much better in schematic mode for navigating for me. The 3D buildings are great at the lowest setting, and very useful in built up cities. I just don't get the benefit of the sat images and interested in what it adds for you.
__________________
2017 F87 M2, MG, M-DCT
2002 E36/7 Z3 2.2 Sport 5MT
2016 F22 M235i Coupe, MW, ZF8
Appreciate 1
ried619.00

      04-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #26
Aronis
Lieutenant Colonel
Aronis's Avatar
1083
Rep
1,877
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Binghamton, NY

iTrader: (0)

I find it useful in actually seeing the buildings and parking lots and what not.

The google image at lower resolution(i.e. at miles scales) is of NO USE so why even waste any hard drive space on it? I can see changing to the schematic view when zoomed in on occasion but at least give us the option.

Google Earth zoomed in to feet mode is useful if you are off the roads also. You can see where the dirt road that is not on the map is going.

Mike
__________________

2018 M5 and 2015 Q7
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #27
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
DivideBYZero's Avatar
United Kingdom
462
Rep
822
Posts

Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Well the buildings and parking lots should show up in the 3D mode. Do you have that set on?
__________________
2017 F87 M2, MG, M-DCT
2002 E36/7 Z3 2.2 Sport 5MT
2016 F22 M235i Coupe, MW, ZF8
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #28
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
1530
Rep
3,892
Posts

Drives: '17 M2
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (1)

Didn't know BMW used Google Map imagery.
Appreciate 1
mokrunka130.00

      04-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #29
Aronis
Lieutenant Colonel
Aronis's Avatar
1083
Rep
1,877
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Binghamton, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Didn't know BMW used Google Map imagery.
Which does it use?

Mike
__________________

2018 M5 and 2015 Q7
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #30
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
1530
Rep
3,892
Posts

Drives: '17 M2
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Which does it use?

Mike
Like I sad, I had no idea. I thought you just told us?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #31
atomic837
Private
atomic837's Avatar
21
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i, 2017 M2 (previous)
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: TX/NY/NH

iTrader: (0)

I'm with you there. I have a similar thread on the forums that discusses the lack of topographic detail on the new iDrive maps (http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1373771). Compared to the system in my 2009 135i, the 2017 nav feels like a step backwards in usability.

Unlike some people, the maps aren't just for point to point navigation for me. The maps are always on my display, and I use them to scout out local areas and roads on a daily basis or exploring on leisurely drives.

The sat maps are okay, but there should be an option at the lower distances like you said.

My biggest gripe is that there is no terrain/height detail to aid in situational awareness. The "cartoon" maps below half a mile or devoid of detail, and you don't even see secondary roads until the 800 ft zoom level. This is not the case on my 2009 iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #32
Aronis
Lieutenant Colonel
Aronis's Avatar
1083
Rep
1,877
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Binghamton, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic837 View Post
I'm with you there. I have a similar thread on the forums that discusses the lack of topographic detail on the new iDrive maps (http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1373771). Compared to the system in my 2009 135i, the 2017 nav feels like a step backwards in usability.

Unlike some people, the maps aren't just for point to point navigation for me. The maps are always on my display, and I use them to scout out local areas and roads on a daily basis or exploring on leisurely drives.

The sat maps are okay, but there should be an option at the lower distances like you said.

My biggest gripe is that there is no terrain/height detail to aid in situational awareness. The "cartoon" maps below half a mile or devoid of detail, and you don't even see secondary roads until the 800 ft zoom level. This is not the case on my 2009 iDrive.
Yes, agree, "If Find the lack of detail disturbing." As Vader would say.

Mike
__________________

2018 M5 and 2015 Q7
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #33
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
1530
Rep
3,892
Posts

Drives: '17 M2
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Which does it use?

Mike
Looked into this:
BMW was using Navteq maps, then Nokia bought Navteq and rebranded to HERE. BMW's navigation system still uses this data and AFAIK has never used Google's data - roads, satellite, terrain, buildings, POI's, etc. either directly or indirectly.

HERE was recently bought from Nokia by a consortium which includes BMW, Audi, and Daimler. So would not be surprised if Audi stops using Google's data.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #34
gmzanatta
Colonel
gmzanatta's Avatar
Canada
1798
Rep
2,969
Posts

Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Looked into this:
BMW was using Navteq maps, then Nokia bought Navteq and rebranded to HERE. BMW's navigation system still uses this data and AFAIK has never used Google's data - roads, satellite, terrain, buildings, POI's, etc. either directly or indirectly.

HERE was recently bought from Nokia by a consortium which includes BMW, Audi, and Daimler. So would not be surprised if Audi stops using Google's data.
Yep, would not be surprised to see Google maps go the way of the dodo in German cars with HERE around. For those interested in the details:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #35
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
536
Rep
2,632
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (2)

It would definitely be nice to get the satellite overlay when zoomed in closer than 1 mile. Down to 800 feet would be ideal. The 1 mile layer is useful when distances are long enough for at minimum a day trip, and longer, where you are more likely to be looking at the map from a higher perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #36
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
1
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: 125d M Sport, Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portsmouth

iTrader: (0)

Mine seemed to stop working with google Maps after I changed my car a year ago, but still worked from the Connected Drive web site; it also doesn't work from BMW Routes. I was wondering at some point if it was still sending to the old car but if that is the case I don't know how to remove my details and re-add them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
The obstacle in my case is that I can find no link within Google Maps on PC (or iPad or iPhone) to 'Send to car' or similar. Any car. So presumably that's down to Google, not BMW, yes?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Google have changed the interface somewhat. Confusingly, it can be found under "Send to your Phone"
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #37
StephanieDiane
Second Lieutenant
StephanieDiane's Avatar
United_States
82
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 M2
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mississippi

iTrader: (0)

It stopped working through Chrome, but works fine through Internet Explorer. I banged my head on the keyboard for an hour months ago, and then it finally dawned on me to try a different browser. Worked fine. The link for "send to car" comes up under "send to phone" with some other options.

I work on a PC all day at work, so I like doing it this way. I tried the Connected app a few times. Haven't tried any other way.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #38
Almaretto
Major General
Almaretto's Avatar
United_States
1943
Rep
7,785
Posts

Drives: Test Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieDiane View Post
It stopped working through Chrome, but works fine through Internet Explorer. I banged my head on the keyboard for an hour months ago, and then it finally dawned on me to try a different browser. Worked fine. The link for "send to car" comes up under "send to phone" with some other options.

I work on a PC all day at work, so I like doing it this way. I tried the Connected app a few times. Haven't tried any other way.
I use it with Chrome all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #39
StephanieDiane
Second Lieutenant
StephanieDiane's Avatar
United_States
82
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 M2
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mississippi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I use it with Chrome all the time.
I guess I just never tried it again since it stopped working and I switched to IE
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #40
Duke Silver
Private
47
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: '17 MG M2
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

I was playing around with this today, mainly because I think the connected drive app is a bit clunky. When I hit the send to device option in google maps my car didn't show up, so I hit the help button and there is a link there to manually add your car.

If you follow the link below you can manually add your car, it links up to your connected drive username (no password required).

https://www.google.com.au/maps/sendt...ce=tldsi&hl=en

Once I added my car it then showed up in the send to device menu and it seemed to work.

Not sure if this will sort some of the issues people are having.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 02:01 AM   #41
johanva
Private
johanva's Avatar
No_Country
140
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: BMW M2 MY2018
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Home

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
I was playing around with this today, mainly because I think the connected drive app is a bit clunky. When I hit the send to device option in google maps my car didn't show up, so I hit the help button and there is a link there to manually add your car.

If you follow the link below you can manually add your car, it links up to your connected drive username (no password required).

https://www.google.com.au/maps/sendt...ce=tldsi&hl=en

Once I added my car it then showed up in the send to device menu and it seemed to work.

Not sure if this will sort some of the issues people are having.
Also configured it yesterday and it works. Took some time to get it to work. I did the following:
  • Go to the connecteddrive portal and open your account settings
  • Choose a username if you haven't done so already
  • Go to the remote cockpit on the connected drive website and enable both "send to car" options (messages and selected partners)
  • Go to https://www.google.com.au/maps/sendtocar
  • Add a car:
  • - Manufacturer: BMW[/INDENT]
  • - Accout ID: your username you created in the second step[/INDENT]
  • - Display name: Choose one[/INDENT]
  • Go to https://maps.google.com, choose a destination, click "Send to your phone" in the menu on the left, choose "Car" and click on send
  • In your car you should have a message in the connected drive menu with your destination and you can start the navigation

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #42
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
termigni's Avatar
United_States
1050
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: S2000, X6,M2, Model3, 911
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
So this BMW connected is not free correct?
__________________
2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #43
Almaretto
Major General
Almaretto's Avatar
United_States
1943
Rep
7,785
Posts

Drives: Test Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
So this BMW connected is not free correct?
Correct. You pay for it and can renew it.
Appreciate 1
termigni1049.50

      08-30-2017, 01:14 AM   #44
ric124
Colonel
ric124's Avatar
Jamaica
421
Rep
2,172
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
So this BMW connected is not free correct?
You get 4 years with the car then you will have to pay after that.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
android, android auto, carplay, idrive, ios

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST