BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > The Straight Pipes : PERFECT! 2020 BMW M2 CS Review

12-24-2020, 12:37 AM   #89
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
It's a very good point. And possibly why they didn't make a CSL M2. Would people really have liked its extreme nature or complained about the ride quality?
There's no way I would be buying one if this was the case.

They've put together a near perfect mix of ingredients for me and I suspect many others on this forum.

The only audience for such a spec would be about 10 people with the money and very specific tastes and the usual army of vocal forum visitors without the money.
Yup and a true hardcore M2 that didn't start its life as true sports car probably can't compete with something more dedicated and equal hardcore...
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4565.00
      12-24-2020, 01:05 AM   #90
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Yup and a true hardcore M2 that didn't start its life as true sports car probably can't compete with something more dedicated and equal hardcore...
Define "compete" though. Are you a racing driver? Or do you want a car that delivers smiles in spades every day of the week?

If you are a racing driver then best to just build your own dedicated track car. I was watching a video the other day where do it yourself track cars were beating a 911 GT2's times by 4 seconds. Around a 1 minute track. Just contemplate that for a minute. A great track car is hell to live with on a daily basis.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2020, 01:48 AM   #91
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Define "compete" though. Are you a racing driver? Or do you want a car that delivers smiles in spades every day of the week?

If you are a racing driver then best to just build your own dedicated track car. I was watching a video the other day where do it yourself track cars were beating a 911 GT2's times by 4 seconds. Around a 1 minute track. Just contemplate that for a minute. A great track car is hell to live with on a daily basis.
Well the M2 CS better be a "better car" than the 1M - it cost at least 50% more (even factoring
in inflation) and has over a decade of car improvements! I certainly would have the M2 CS near the top of my list for a two door if I were in the market. However, it is telling that the Straight Pipes even hesitate to call the M2 CS the better car even though it is 10 years newer!

What I think holds the M2 CS (and other BMW CS models back) is they are just not that special and seem more of a "high trim level move some final cars approach" (not to dissimilar from a Lime Rock E92 M3). I think it is pretty telling how many hits you get of "available cars" if you do an Autotrader search. When the 1M came out, you may have gotten two at any given time. Also, it doesn't help that an F82 M4 is cheaper, faster, and lighter than the M2 CS (whereas a 1M was significantly cheaper and basically as fast or faster in than an E92 M3 in most driving scenarios). Similarly Porsche would not move GT4s if a base 911 provided the same performance for a cheaper price.

What makes the 1M so special is that (1) there will never be another 1M (where there will be another M2 CS) and (2) the 1M has redeeming flaws - ex. unexpected overboost mid corner sending you into a full drift with the nannies on (from reviews the m2 CS is completely predictable which is good just different), comic/concept car looks (whereas the M2 CS just looks like an M2 comp with all of the M performance parts thrown at it), and (3) bespoke parts - even though a parts bin special, the front bumper and fender flaresare truly bespoke parts and require a true "rebuild" of an E82 to incorporate (on the M2 CS you get a CF hood which could be swapped out easily and a CF roof which was strangely offered as an M performance option), and (4) the first turbo M car.

Don't get me wrong, I think the M2 CS is great, however the 1M isn't the right comparison. The M2 Comp is the right comparison. The formula here is not too dissimilar from a STI/ STI 209 just at higher production numbers.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10137.00
      12-24-2020, 01:59 AM   #92
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
(3) bespoke parts - even though a parts bin special, the front bumper and fender flaresare truly bespoke parts and require a true "rebuild" of an E82 to incorporate (on the M2 CS you get a CF hood which could be swapped out easily and a CF roof which was strangely offered as an M performance option)
Worth clarifying the M2CS carbon roof is a structural member of the car with no braces, something BMW had never done before thus not the same as the M Performance one for the non-CS.
CarJunkie2616.50
Bimmed Out1908.50
      12-24-2020, 02:41 AM   #93
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
Deal breaker? Nah!

I agree. Just picked mine up and I believe it may be best BMW ever.
M Cars I've owned:
E30 M3(2)
E39 M5
E60 M5
E36 M3 (3)
E46 M3
E86 Z4 MC (2)
E87 1M
F80 M4

And a ton of non M BMW's.

Still have the 1M and a Z4 MC and the M2 CS beats them in every department.
Congrats on the new car Jhall.

I have never understood why you keep your 1M? Not an attack, but a question - I have asked you many times over the years. If you like the new stuff, consider yourself lucky, because in many areas they have improved.

All car things are subjective to the driver.

But....the newer cars lose badly in steering weight, texture, and steering feel. The 1M is basic, small, light, no rev matching, but it is the quick-ratio hydraulic steering that makes it special. IMO

FWIW: It is not only a BMW issue. I have driven many 991.2 GT3's in manual and even did the "master the manual class" offered by Porsche. As much as I wanted to love it, the car can not deliver on the EPS steering when driven back to back with a 997 GT3.

We all have our preferences, but I just do not connect with the EPS steering in the newer cars and after many years of churning cars, I might be stuck with the 1M and 997 for a long time.

I get a drive in a CS in January, so hopefully I can report a new achievement in EPS steering feel, but I am not optimistic...
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2020, 02:51 AM   #94
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:
Deal breaker? Nah!

M Cars I've owned:
E30 M3(2)
E39 M5
E60 M5
E36 M3 (3)
E46 M3
E86 Z4 MC (2)
E87 1M
F80 M4

I have never understood why you keep your 1M? Not an attack, but a question - I have asked you many times over the years. If you like the new stuff, consider yourself lucky, because in many areas they have improved.

But....the newer cars lose badly in steering weight, texture, and steering feel. The 1M is basic, small, light, no rev matching, but it is the quick-ratio hydraulic steering that makes it special. IMO

FWIW: It is not only a BMW issue. I have driven many 991.2 GT3's in manual and even did the "master the manual class" offered by Porsche. As much as I wanted to love it, the car can not deliver on the EPS steering when driven back to back with a 997 GT3.

We all have our preferences, but I just do not connect with the EPS steering in the newer cars and after many years of churning cars, I might be stuck with the 1M and 997 for a long time.

I get a drive in a CS in January, so hopefully I can report a new achievement in EPS steering feel, but I am not optimistic...
I am keeping my 1M as a track and weekend car. The M2cs will be a 3-season daily that I expect to be an absolute hoot while I hope it will have the civility that I have missed once I strayed from keeping the 1M stock.

I hope the EPS in the M2cs will be better than my F15 X5, and from the reviews it sounds like it will be....but will it be as telepathic as my 1M with coilovers and proper alignment (or my RX-8 with EPS for that matter?) I'll know in a month.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4031.00
      12-24-2020, 03:12 AM   #95
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
With all the respect for the 1M , i think this is the most overhyped BMW.
There should not be comparison with an upgraded 135 vs the CS . Yes is a great car , but no way near the M2 CS. The 1M was the experiment of BMW to bring back the perfect size coupe with the best driving experience as it used to be. You cannot track(seriously) the 1M , unless you change the half car.. N54 for road use is fine(even a lot of reliability issues-pumps etc) ,not for track. The S55 on the other hand , you know its good even BMW use that engine to race on the M2 CS Racing and M4 GT4 . It means something i guess.

The hype for the 1M came on a period where BMW lost their way with the size of the E92 M3. And i am saying that because i can confirm that having the OG M2 before the CS , i now really understood what a Real M car is.. and its sad saying that , but its the truth. Yes both 1M and M2 are exceptional and fun, as every M car should be , but they are M ''lite'' cars. Again , don't get me wrong , its just what my opinion is about them.

As for special , the CS production was the 1/3 of the 1M production. And as i explained above , they are not comparable.

Just enjoy what you drive , for sure E82 and F87 put a big smile on your face.
Jimjamz4565.00
Bimmed Out1908.50
clee1982797.50
      12-24-2020, 03:37 AM   #96
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs View Post
There should not be comparison with an upgraded 135 vs the CS . Yes is a great car , but no way near the M2 CS. The 1M was the experiment of BMW to bring back the perfect size coupe with the best driving experience as it used to be. You cannot track(seriously) the 1M , unless you change the half car.. N54 for road use is fine(even a lot of reliability issues-pumps etc) ,not for track. The S55 on the other hand , you know its good even BMW use that engine to race on the M2 CS Racing and M4 GT4 . It means something i guess.

The hype for the 1M came on a period where BMW lost their way with the size of the E92 M3. And i am saying that because i can confirm that having the OG M2 before the CS , i now really understood what a Real M car is.. and its sad saying that , but its the truth. Yes both 1M and M2 are exceptional and fun, as every M car should be , but they are M ''lite'' cars. Again , don't get me wrong , its just what my opinion is about them.

As for special , the CS production was the 1/3 of the 1M production. And as i explained above , they are not comparable.

I liken it to comparing Bateman to Superman. They're both good in their own way. They need no comparison.

Simple
F87EVO4031.00
      12-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #97
TheStanman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 C2S

The M2CS and M3CS suggest that BMW understands that adding some compliance to a suspension can actually improve handling. I hope they apply that knowledge to future M cars.
Appreciate 3
Jimjamz4565.00
clee1982797.50
      12-24-2020, 05:29 AM   #98
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
As for special , the CS production was the 1/3 of the 1M production.
That's mainly related to the 'value for money' proposition. Compare also with F82 M4 GTS (initially officially 700, but 803 were made). Make many, and many won't sell at high price-points.

2700 1M cars were initially scheduled. I witnessed the frenzy back in 2011-2012. I also bought one in 2011 and extensively drove it. Demand was unprecedented. And back in 2011, rave review after rave review poured in (except for one truly out-of-tune early review by Randy Pobst, which was later blamed on specific test conditions). Quick sell-out, sold like hot pancakes. BMW couldn't keep up and admitted that the 1M exceeded all expectations in an exceptional way. BMW decided to adjust the 2700 cars production volume target: as many as could be produced until June 2012. 6309 cars were made. And no issue in selling those.

At the approx. $50K/€50K MSRP price-point, it was an expensive 1-Series car, but good 'value for money' for a 'manual only, truncated M3'. Properly priced, attainable for most car enthusiasts and a tough call for competing car brands. IMHO, if the 1M had been priced E82 135i price + 50%, sales would never have been as successful (that would have been overpriced and too close to the E92 M3 price-point).

Demand for the 1M never ceased after production ended in June 2012. 2011-2020: resale value has always stayed in the MSRP whereabouts, which is a very rare phenomenon for a BMW car (actually for any car). The M4 GTS, M4 CS and M3 CS never managed to pull this off (despite more exclusive production numbers and despite improved tech, materials & features and better performance figures). Undoubtedly, also the 1M heritage contributed to the success of the F87 M2 presented in 2015. And I remain convinced that the extraordinary 1M success (sales and accolades) contributed to inspiring Porsche to also build a 981 Cayman GT4 (manual only 'truncated 911 GT car' presented in 2015): the niche market of 'pocket rockets'.

Was/is it special ? Sure you bet it was/is.

Already the way it was born is incredible: the basic idea for the 1M was conceived by BMW M staff as a secret skunkworks project to surprise their boss (Dr. Kay Segler) upon his return from holidays. He liked it, set the wheels in motion on management level and the rest is history. So it's actually some sort of secretly fathered love child.

The 1M recipe was essentially 'less is more', hands-on no-frills, offering an 'ants-in-the-pants' driving experience: approx. $50K/€50K MSRP, 340hp & 500Nm (450+50 overboost) in a compact package (short wheelbase), 1495 kg, matchbox-on-steroids bulldog styling for form-follows-function reasons (the cartoonishly wide fenders had to host the wider E92 M3 track set-up and 359M 19" wheels + the front end had to facilitate improved air intake and air guidance + the rear bumper had to cover the wider rear fenders), 3 body colors (black/white/orange), manual only (no M-DCT or automatic), hydraulic steering (no EPS), passive dampers (no adaptive dampers), no rev-match/auto blip, no Active Sound Design (fake engine sound) pumped through the speakers, oldskool analog dials (no black-panel), throttle response standard/sport (no sport+), no use of posh dry/wet carbon fibre add-ons on exterior or interior, some alcantara trim was added in the mostly plastic interior, two-piece seats in base Boston leather with Kyalami Orange contrast-stitching (no one-piece sport seats), discreet brake calipers (black and without ///M logo), no sunroof option, Xenon headlights (no LED headlights), SATNAV was optional (you could spec the 1M without = flush dashboard), no armrest delete, etc.

Quite a number of 1M owners kitted it out with an aftermarket exhaust and N55 midpipe to max out the N54 howl (and with exhaust valve open this thing could really bark). Likely it inspired BMW to offer an M Performance exhaust for the OG F87 M2 from the get-go.

So the 1M, a driving fun facilitator low on bling-bling & eye-candy features, was all pretty focused on entertainment for the driver, rather than for the onlooker. The car was essentially bought both to be driven and to be whipped (rather than to spend life low on miles in a garage), sometimes even as an affordable 'guilty pleasure' for the family (wo)man fancying the idea to go play & grin with a real-size matchbox car so now and then.

Two of my former fun cars side-by-side:

Appreciate 5
CarJunkie2616.50
2taCoS279.00
clee1982797.50
      12-24-2020, 05:41 AM   #99
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStanman View Post
The M2CS and M3CS suggest that BMW understands that adding some compliance to a suspension can actually improve handling. I hope they apply that knowledge to future M cars.
It seems to be part of the secret sauce of the 911
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 06:23 AM   #100
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Nice car. Of course they like it.

Am I the only one who can't stand these guys?
      12-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #101
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:
Deal breaker? Nah!

M Cars I've owned:
E30 M3(2)
E39 M5
E60 M5
E36 M3 (3)
E46 M3
E86 Z4 MC (2)
E87 1M
F80 M4

Hahahaha, I truly understand your question. I keep my 1M for all kinds of reasons. All the reasons you mention are good enough and certainly true and appreciated. Also factor in that it's the only car I've ever owned that didn't depreciate like a rock thrown off a cliff. Add that I love the color(VO) and then that my brother and I picked it up in Germany during Octoberfest and drive the Ring in it and it's just too much to part with.

If the need come to sell it, I will buy it will be one of my last to go!

I love the driving experience of every car/BMW I've owned and now own. It's just that some do a better job some days then others. My Jeep is rough and noisy and driven rarely, but if we get a rare snow, it's a blessing! The 1M occupies a similarly unique place.

So, don't hold your breath waiting for me to sell it! It's a great and special car, I may just like the new M2 CS a bit more today! After all, I am getting old and the adaptive suspensions is nice!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
      12-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #102
jhall1957
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
As for special , the CS production was the 1/3 of the 1M production.
That's mainly related to the 'value for money' proposition. Compare also with F82 M4 GTS (initially officially 700, but 803 were made). Make many, and many won't sell at high price-points.

2700 1M cars were initially scheduled. I witnessed the frenzy back in 2011-2012. I also bought one in 2011 and extensively drove it. Demand was unprecedented. And back in 2011, rave review after rave review poured in (except for one truly out-of-tune early review by Randy Pobst, which was later blamed on specific test conditions). Quick sell-out, sold like hot pancakes. BMW couldn't keep up and admitted that the 1M exceeded all expectations in an exceptional way. BMW decided to adjust the 2700 cars production volume target: as many as could be produced until June 2012. 6309 cars were made. And no issue in selling those.

At the approx. $50K/€50K MSRP price-point, it was an expensive 1-Series car, but good 'value for money' for a 'manual only, truncated M3'. Properly priced, attainable for most car enthusiasts and a tough call for competing car brands. IMHO, if the 1M had been priced E82 135i price + 50%, sales would never have been as successful (that would have been overpriced and too close to the E92 M3 price-point).

Demand for the 1M never ceased after production ended in June 2012. 2011-2020: resale value has always stayed in the MSRP whereabouts, which is a very rare phenomenon for a BMW car (actually for any car). The M4 GTS, M4 CS and M3 CS never managed to pull this off (despite more exclusive production numbers and despite improved tech, materials & features and better performance figures). Undoubtedly, also the 1M heritage contributed to the success of the F87 M2 presented in 2015. And I remain convinced that the extraordinary 1M success (sales and accolades) contributed to inspiring Porsche to also build a 981 Cayman GT4 (manual only 'truncated 911 GT car' presented in 2015): the niche market of 'pocket rockets'.

Was/is it special ? Sure you bet it was/is.

Already the way it was born is incredible: the basic idea for the 1M was conceived by BMW M staff as a secret skunkworks project to surprise their boss (Dr. Kay Segler) upon his return from holidays. He liked it, set the wheels in motion on management level and the rest is history. So it's actually some sort of secretly fathered love child.

The 1M recipe was essentially 'less is more', hands-on no-frills, offering an 'ants-in-the-pants' driving experience: approx. $50K/€50K MSRP, 340hp & 500Nm (450+50 overboost) in a compact package (short wheelbase), 1495 kg, matchbox-on-steroids bulldog styling for form-follows-function reasons (the cartoonishly wide fenders had to host the wider E92 M3 track set-up and 359M 19" wheels + the front end had to facilitate improved air intake and air guidance + the rear bumper had to cover the wider rear fenders), 3 body colors (black/white/orange), manual only (no M-DCT or automatic), hydraulic steering (no EPS), passive dampers (no adaptive dampers), no rev-match/auto blip, no Active Sound Design (fake engine sound) pumped through the speakers, oldskool analog dials (no black-panel), throttle response standard/sport (no sport+), no use of posh dry/wet carbon fibre add-ons on exterior or interior, some alcantara trim was added in the mostly plastic interior, two-piece seats in base Boston leather with Kyalami Orange contrast-stitching (no one-piece sport seats), discreet brake calipers (black and without ///M logo), SATNAV was optional (you could spec the 1M without = flush dashboard), no armrest delete, etc.

Quite a number of 1M owners kitted it out with an aftermarket exhaust and N55 midpipe to max out the N54 howl (and with exhaust valve open this thing could really bark). Likely it inspired BMW to offer an M Performance exhaust for the OG F87 M2 from the get-go.

So the 1M, a driving fun facilitator low on bling-bling & eye-candy features, was all pretty focused on entertainment for the driver, rather than for the onlooker. The car was essentially bought both to be driven and to be whipped (rather than to spend life low on miles in a garage), sometimes even as an affordable 'guilty pleasure' for the family (wo)man fancying the idea to go play & grin with a real-size matchbox car so now and then.

Two of my former fun cars side-by-side:
Well said!
      12-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #103
jhall1957
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I imagine you never owned a 1M, right?

I've owned most of the M cars that led to the 1M. Still own my 1M and now have a CS.

The CS owes everything it has right down to its basic DNA to the success of the 1M. BMW was heading full steam down the path of Lexus and M-B to softer less performance cars and the 1M proved they still had a market for performance cars.

While you may think the 1M is overhyped, it's was a very important experiment.

BTW, having owned several E30 M3's, I can tell you they are "overhyped" but it doesn't lessen their importance to the over all brand.

Enjoy the drive!
      12-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #104
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
The problem becomes... this is a really weird expectation of what a "CS" model is to be... a better streetcar w more comfort? I think there are some really heavy elephants in the room here.

Personally... I would have done everything to make this a lighter car... pull the upgraded stereo, manual seats only, manual air cond... replace deck cards w cardboard ala csl and put in a nice M perf suspension or some sort of partnership w Ohlins and optimize dampening etc. This all aside from the fact that the 1M was $47k when it came out... this is $88k... not sure where we went wrong there in the last 10 years. BMW is milking us and they know it...
You're right... may be M2CL (Luxury) ipo M2CS would have been a more appropriate name but guess it would have been more difficult to charge a 25k premium
Appreciate 1
ASAP10137.00
      12-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #105
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

While I personally do not like the 1M for various reasons including looks and the fact that it didn't perform well, I absolutely recognize its significance and importance.

People forget a few things - it was the very first time we got a 1 series M car and it was the first time ever we see a turbo motor in an M car. This was what very very many wanted and BMW gave people the surprise of a life time. That coupled w very small production made it an immediate success.

If I had to choose between a CS and a 1M, I'd take the CS in a heartbeat because its a newer better car however I also understand that for all the reasons named above it is in no way as special as a 1M... nor would I ever expect it to have the same historical signficance nor value. We got 3 mass produced versions of the M2... the CS is simply a basic upgrade of the comp. The 1M stood alone...
      12-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #106
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I've owned most of the M cars that led to the 1M. Still own my 1M and now have a CS.

The CS owes everything it has right down to its basic DNA to the success of the 1M. BMW was heading full steam down the path of Lexus and M-B to softer less performance cars and the 1M proved they still had a market for performance cars.

BTW, having owned several E30 M3's, I can tell you they are "overhyped" but it doesn't lessen their importance to the over all brand.

Enjoy the drive!
I understand and i agree for the importance of those cars existence . Its just some people take it to next level when comparing cars !
      12-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #107
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

CS>comp
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #108
jhall1957
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Enjoy the drive!
I understand and i agree for the importance of those cars existence . Its just some people take it to next level when comparing cars !
Totally agree. Just like many take the E30 M3 to a unrealistic level.
      12-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #109
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
You're right... may be M2CL (Luxury) ipo M2CS would have been a more appropriate name but guess it would have been more difficult to charge a 25k premium
See here:
Quote:
F87 EUR-spec: M2C and M2 CS end of production: already happened.

F87 USA-spec: M2 CS end of production: this month. M2C end of production: June 2021.

M2 hiatus: from July 2021 till November 2020. G80 M3 and G82 M4 become BMW M 'entry models'.

G87 M2 start of production: December 2022.

Maybe in a distant future a G87 M2 CSL may see the light. But as weight keeps on increasing, it will be a challenge to deserve the "L" of the "CSL" badge, except if it's changed from "Leichtbau" ("Lightweight") to "Luxus" ("Luxury") or "Limitiert" ("Limited").

An M version of the current 1-series: now that would be something. The E82 1M showed that there is a lot of potential. BMW M should make another pocket rocket. Success guaranteed. Look at the success of the Toyota Yaris GR: small, powerful, big fenders and financially attainable for most petrol heads.
Quote:
Van Meel said that the CSL designation will replace GTS on the four-rung hierarchy of M cars, which starts with the base model then progresses to Competition Pack, CS, then CSL. Like the GTS, CSLs will be BMW M's most hardcore offerings.
«CSL [will be] the top-of-the-line track tool, made on the track for the track, just with a number plate,» Van Meel said. With a CSL, you can expect cup tires, coilover suspension, a roll cage, water injection, and a fire extinguisher. Van Meel says that the CS on the other hand is «also a track tool, but with four seats,» and more emphasis on comfort.

(source: here (Sep 2017))
IMHO the M2 MotoGP Safety Car has provided inspiration for the M2 CSL interior (source: see here):

12-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #110
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
You cannot track(seriously) the 1M , unless you change the half car.. N54 for road use is fine(even a lot of reliability issues-pumps etc) ,not for track. The S55 on the other hand , you know its good even BMW use that engine to race on the M2 CS Racing and M4 GT4 . It means something i guess.
I am definitely biased, but I will disagree on this point:
To truly enjoy the 1M at the track, you need camber plates for a proper alignment and decent brake pads. Period. Done. The same can be said of every BMW M to roll off an assembly line since the e46, whose saving grace was the ability to rotate the front strut mounts and get decent camber. With all else stock, there are no cooling issues, no driveline issues, no braking issues, and the car can be brilliant. Probably a little quiet.

When I added horsepower with a tune, I needed more cooling and more brakes.

I'll agree on the reliability, LOL. The N54 is a love/hate relationship. It is torquey as f*&k, lets me use just about any gear in a corner on track and it will dig itself out, and is an absolute blast around town. Within the past 3 years, between 40k and 62k miles (LOTS of track miles) I have replaced coils and plugs due to misfires, replaced HPFP due to failure, replaced all injectors with current part (leaking, covered by BMW extended warranty), replaced water pump and thermostat (preventive maintenance, know to fail at 60k), replaced oil filter housing gasket (leaking), replaced serpentine belt and tensioner (ruined by OFHG leak), replaced rear main seal (leaking), replaced oil level sensor (not reading actual level), and replaced spark plugs again (preventive).

Oh, and I replaced motormounts . . . excessive engine movement is probably why my aluminum ER chargepipe broke at the throttle body connection. It had been installed preventatively to replace an OEM part that pops from boost pressure spikes. Lets hope the Burger piece survives.

So I do hope the S55 is more stout. So does my wife. I can't maintain 4 turbos surrounded by leaky gaskets and leaky injectors . . . 2 is enough!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.

Last edited by CarJunkie; 12-24-2020 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4031.00