01-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #23
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Really ?

have you ever heard the sound of an M3 CSL? a 458 Speciale or an F12 TDF?
I doubt !
None of those cars are turbos. Weak argument. And also he didn't say it's the best sounding car ever. He just said it sounds good.

Last edited by ptgltw; 01-06-2021 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #24
///M2CS
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Really ?

I doubt ![/QUOTE]

None of those cars are turbos. Weak argument.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M2CS View Post
I think the car sounds fabulous. so

Really ?

I doubt !
None of those cars are turbos. Weak argument.[/QUOTE]

My Pista sounds great vs M2 CS 😎
      01-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #25
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My Pista sounds great vs M2 CS ��
Sorry man you're being a bit of a wanker. He said it sounded fab, not one of the best sounding cars in the world.

Now your whiping it out and telling us how good your Pista sounds. Go back to the Ferrari Forums and tell everybody how good your Pista sounds.
      01-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #26
///M2CS
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry man you're being a bit of a wanker. He said it sounded fine. Now your whiping it out and telling us how good your Pista sounds.
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry man you're being a bit of a wanker. He said it sounded fine. Now your whiping it out and telling us how good your Pista sounds.
I will not add anything to your inappropriate and vulgar words sorry
      01-06-2021, 04:53 PM   #27
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I will not add anything to your inappropriate and vulgar words sorry
I didn't think you would. Probably off to rev your Pista
jb00199.50
      01-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
M3 CSL - No.

458 Speciale - Yes... and quite a few others. Driven a Stradale as well.

Flat out honest - I like the way the CS sounds better than the 981 GT4. I like the growl and lower tone. That's my ear. It's not a "beautiful" tone, it's not like the Aston DBS, or Huracan's I've driven, but it's unique and I like it for that.

the main thing is that you are happy ....

I have a Speciale and a Pista and the only flaw for me of the M2 CS is the sound
that's why I installed an Akrapovic line the sound is finally up to par of my expectations[/QUOTE]

Investigate an AA equal midpipe with the innotech f1 exhaust. I haven't yet found the combo in the wild, but I think this is going to be the jam.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #29
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post

I have a Speciale and a Pista and the only flaw for me of the M2 CS is the sound
that's why I installed an Akrapovic line the sound is finally up to par of my expectations

Investigate an AA equal midpipe with the innotech f1 exhaust. I haven't yet found the combo in the wild, but I think this is going to be the jam.
Are there differences between AA midpipes? I just ordered one but not sure if it's equal length or not. I'll google Innotech F1 exhaust now, actually i think I did the other day. Sounds great.

My son told me after all the exhaust mods are complete, I need to tune out the crackle
      01-06-2021, 05:03 PM   #30
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yes, to my ear the AA EL midpipe removed the weed whacker/lawnmower sound from the S55. Makes it sound like an inline 6 should sound. The innotech F1 adds the "exotic" howl that I find appealing. My last car had the crackles and pops, and I like how the CS is more tame. The SVR exhaust was absurdly awesome.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13119.00
SCS55291.00
      01-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #31
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Someone needs to convince Innotech to make the gold exhaust for the C/CS and in titanium. Imo, most companies are trying the get a low grumble from the i6 that mimics a v8. I don't like it and think it's misguided.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #32
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, to my ear the AA EL midpipe removed the weed whacker/lawnmower sound from the S55. Makes it sound like an inline 6 should sound. The innotech F1 adds the "exotic" howl that I find appealing. My last car had the crackles and pops, and I like how the CS is more tame. The SVR exhaust was absurdly awesome.
Oh man I just ordered the wrong one! I'm calling now I hope it's not too late to switch my order. In listening to them both, I don't even know why they make the single exhaust midpipe. It does cost less but sounds very raspy. Thanks for the info share. Happy Happy

Last edited by ptgltw; 01-06-2021 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #33
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh man I just ordered the wrong one! I'm calling now I hope it's not too late to switch my order.
Check some audio clips on youtube. Everyones ear is different. I haven't heard it on person either. If I were ordering I'd go EL. I think there is some discussion in the exhaust section. I'm trying to convince myself to not replace the exhaust. I spent it all on PPF
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #34
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:

that's why I installed an Akrapovic line the sound is finally up to par of my expectations
Yep, sound is an emotional thing with cars. What is awesome to one is annoying as hell to someone else. I like that it is very different from other BMW's and cars I've had. There's no question it's this particular engine and car. Not a sexy tone, but distinctive. Right balance of unique and loud for my world.

Would not turn my head on the street or put goosebumps on my arms though, that'd I'd agree. But fabulous to me in the car
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #35
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Check some audio clips on youtube. Everyones ear is different. I haven't heard it on person either. If I were ordering I'd go EL. I think there is some discussion in the exhaust section. I'm trying to convince myself to not replace the exhaust. I spent it all on PPF
Haha. I'm sure you can find some leftover cash for the exhaust

I did research them both. I was told to get AA mid pipe and I did. I just didn't know they made 2 of them! Equal length mid pipe ordered and wow does it sound amazing.
      01-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #36
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Haha. I'm sure you can find some leftover cash for the exhaust

I did research them both. I was told to get AA mid pipe and I did. I just didn't know they made 2 of them! Equal length mid pipe ordered and wow does it sound amazing.
The equal length midpipes is one thing I made consider down the road. Need to look at it more, but if I can do it without cutting, and it takes off a bit of the rasp while leaving the rest of the character there I'd be all over it.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #37
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
The equal length midpipes is one thing I made consider down the road. Need to look at it more, but if I can do it without cutting, and it takes off a bit of the rasp while leaving the rest of the character there I'd be all over it.
I'm in this same boat. I don't see a way around cutting the factory system. Options could be

A: Cut the factory exhaust at the weld on the superior end of the y-pipes. Weld on flange at the y-pipe and make a custom connector pipes to the AA midpipe. This way you could reweld on the factory exhaust to the y pipes down the road at the factory weld location. Probably only noticeable to those that would really care. Is this dishonest if not mentioned upon sale?

B: Replace the entire system to preserve the factory exhaust in unmolested form.

I think this will be a down the road bridge for me. The first bridge will be the auto Solutions ssk. I have to decide after more seat time of the shifter leaves me wanting, or if I'm blissfully ignorant and am happy as is.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:14 PM   #38
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm in this same boat. I don't see a way around cutting the factory system. Options could be

A: Cut the factory exhaust at the weld on the superior end of the y-pipes. Weld on flange at the y-pipe and make a custom connector pipes to the AA midpipe. This way you could reweld on the factory exhaust to the y pipes down the road at the factory weld location. Probably only noticeable to those that would really care. Is this dishonest if not mentioned upon sale?

B: Replace the entire system to preserve the factory exhaust in unmolested form.

I think this will be a down the road bridge for me. The first bridge will be the auto Solutions ssk. I have to decide after more seat time of the shifter leaves me wanting, or if I'm blissfully ignorant and am happy as is.
I've thought about the EL mid pipe for awhile now. While I have not spent any time in my car yet to judge for myself I'm just going off of that S55 dueling 3 cylinder sound that I just don't enjoy.

Not to derail, but I have an HMS full exhaust (mid pipe and rear) on my 1M and it sounds in-freaking-credible!! Absolutely love it. If I do replace the rear on the CS it'll have to be stainless, I'm not a fan of the tinny sound that titanium gives.

01-06-2021, 09:51 PM   #39
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I've thought about the EL mid pipe for awhile now. While I have not spent any time in my car yet to judge for myself I'm just going off of that S55 dueling 3 cylinder sound that I just don't enjoy.

Not to derail, but I have an HMS full exhaust (mid pipe and rear) on my 1M and it sounds in-freaking-credible!! Absolutely love it. If I do replace the rear on the CS it'll have to be stainless, I'm not a fan of the tinny sound that titanium gives.

Sounds sweet!!

I am happy with my MadDad / Lightweight Ti combo.

I hope to be happy with the "dualing 3" sound, but we will see.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #40
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I don't like the free revving sound, but under load this sounds great to me.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 12:20 AM   #41
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Did we get confirmation that the part number off the muffler is the same between CS and Comp? It would be good to know, cause there was talk that the exhaust was changed to improve horsepower.

I think the exhaust sound is truly awful and I want to swap it out for an Akrapovic, but only if I'm not removing something that is unique to the car's power figures.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:56 AM   #42
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

They are not the same part number. The CS part numbers also come up "not in system" on realoem at the moment, so they appear to be unique.

The M2C rear muffler part number is 18 30 8 071 806 while the pics from sdhotwn show the CS muffler as 10 30 8 747 994. The caveat to this of course is if there was a running part update in the M2C production cycle since currently realoem only shows data through 12/2019 production date. Someone with a oct-dec 2020 build M2C could help by taking a look at the part, but I'm guessing it's a unique part to the CS.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      01-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #43
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
I thought these cross braces and the steel plate over the exhaust were impressive pieces of rigidity. The plate even as it goes over the exhaust is rather beefy piece of stainless.

Great suite of photos BTW.

FYI underbelly bracings from middle towards rear subframe look same as OGM2 and M2C - all made of alloy (as opposed stainless steel).
325/52822.50
      01-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #44
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
They are not the same part number. The CS part numbers also come up "not in system" on realoem at the moment, so they appear to be unique.

The M2C rear muffler part number is 18 30 8 071 806 while the pics from sdhotwn show the CS muffler as 10 30 8 747 994. The caveat to this of course is if there was a running part update in the M2C production cycle since currently realoem only shows data through 12/2019 production date. Someone with a oct-dec 2020 build M2C could help by taking a look at the part, but I'm guessing it's a unique part to the CS.
With the different tips for the CS being welded on from the factory that alone could be a source of a different part number even without internal changes. I'm curious if the resonator and other part numbers match up too.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 2
CSBM52695.50