BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's discuss the BMW "M2 CS" rumor: will there be a hardcore M2 variant 2019/2020 ?

10-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #1255
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3, 2018 BMW M3, 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
New details, I think - or at least ones that are "confirmed" by another BMW website (BMW Blog):
  • Car definitely will be called M2 Competition and will be sold alongside M2.
  • Base price at least $10K more than M2 - and possibly $15K.

As always, YRMV (Your Rumor May Vary).
I was planning on putting down a deposit for an LCI with Nov/Dec allocation, but am having a second thought now.

I tried to read through all the posts and threads on this new M2 Competition, but am not entirely sure if I got everything right (I know no one knows 100% sure). Based on your post, do I have the correct understanding that they will continue to have M2 "Base-model" with ~365HP (potentially switching from N55 to B58) starting June 2018 and then M2 "Competition" with 410HP S55 will be released in late 2018 (while M2 "Base" still being offered)? Is this correct?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #1256
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post
I was planning on putting down a deposit for an LCI with Nov/Dec allocation, but am having a second thought now.

I tried to read through all the posts and threads on this new M2 Competition, but am not entirely sure if I got everything right (I know no one knows 100% sure). Based on your post, do I have the correct understanding that they will continue to have M2 "Base-model" with ~365HP (potentially switching from N55 to B58) starting June 2018 and then M2 "Competition" with 410HP S55 will be released in late 2018 (while M2 "Base" still being offered)? Is this correct?

Thank you!
No,if the info ynguldyn has posted is correct,the current M2 will end production in June 2018.The M2 CS which apparently is now called the M2 Competition will start production in July 2018 as a MY19 model year car.The current M2 with the N55 will no longer be produced after June 2018.The only model that will be produced from July 2018 is the M2 Competition with the S55 engine.There may also be an M2 CSL,starting production in 2019 as a MY20 model year car but ynguldyn has not confirmed that car will be produced.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #1257
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3, 2018 BMW M3, 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post

Thank you!
No,if the info ynguldyn has posted is correct,the current M2 will end production in June 2018.The M2 CS which apparently is now called the M2 Competition will start production in July 2018 as a MY19 model year car.The current M2 with the N55 will no longer be produced after June 2018.The only model that will be produced from July 2018 is the M2 Competition with the S55 engine.There may also be an M2 CSL,starting production in 2019 as a MY20 model year car but ynguldyn has not confirmed that car will be produced.
Thank you for the explanation!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #1258
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Anyone care to speculate if the CS will be skipped entirely on the M2? I'm not seeing much room for a CS if the competition has the available options posted. I can see this competition model and then a CSL.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #1259
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Anyone care to speculate if the CS will be skipped entirely on the M2? I'm not seeing much room for a CS if the competition has the available options posted. I can see this competition model and then a CSL.
FWIW: last month BMW M boss Frank Van Meel confirmed a "CSL" reboot and explained the envisioned distinction between future "CS" and "CSL" ///M models:
BMW Is Bringing CSL Back
The name that adorned two of BMW's greatest creations, the 3.0 CSL and the E46 M3 CSL, will be applied to future M cars. We hope that means we'll see an M2 CSL.
By Chris Perkins - Sep 13, 2017
Earlier this year, BMW debuted the M4 CS, a car designed to sit between the Competition Package and the ultra-hardcore M4 GTS. Of course, bringing back the CS designation, which stands for Coupe Sport, got our hopes up for a return of the CSL, the Coupe Sport Light. BMW M boss Frank Van Meel just told us that this is actually happening for future M cars.
Van Meel said that the CSL designation will replace GTS on the four-rung hierarchy of M cars, which starts with the base model then progresses to Competition Pack, CS, then CSL. Like the GTS, CSLs will be BMW M's most hardcore offerings.
"CSL [will be] the top-of-the-line track tool, made on the track for the track, just with a number plate," Van Meel said. With a CSL, you can expect cup tires, coilover suspension, a roll cage, water injection, and a fire extinguisher. Van Meel says that the CS on the other hand is "also a track tool, but with four seats," and more emphasis on comfort.

Now, Van Meel couldn't tell us what future M cars will get the CSL designation—it's typical for automakers to decline comment on future products—but he did say we'll never see an X5 M CSL. Given recent spy photos and rumors, we suspect that an M2 CSL might be a real possibility. Either that, or BMW M is developing Competition Pack and CS versions of its smallest car.
Van Meel is also open to four-door M cars with CSL branding, even if they aren't coupes. So perhaps we could see an M3 or M5 CSL, though the latter would be an odd choice for making an all-out track car.
Enthusiasts will no doubt be happy about the return of the CSL name, but it also adds pressure to BMW M. The only two cars in its history to have that badge, the 3.0 CSL and the E46 M3 CSL, are among BMW's most beloved cars. Any future CSL has a lot of legacy to live up to.

(source: here)
Never say never.
      10-04-2017, 01:55 AM   #1260
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
FWIW: last month BMW M boss Frank Van Meel confirmed a "CSL" reboot and explained the envisioned distinction between future "CS" and "CSL" ///M models:
BMW Is Bringing CSL Back
The name that adorned two of BMW's greatest creations, the 3.0 CSL and the E46 M3 CSL, will be applied to future M cars. We hope that means we'll see an M2 CSL.
By Chris Perkins - Sep 13, 2017
Earlier this year, BMW debuted the M4 CS, a car designed to sit between the Competition Package and the ultra-hardcore M4 GTS. Of course, bringing back the CS designation, which stands for Coupe Sport, got our hopes up for a return of the CSL, the Coupe Sport Light. BMW M boss Frank Van Meel just told us that this is actually happening for future M cars.
Van Meel said that the CSL designation will replace GTS on the four-rung hierarchy of M cars, which starts with the base model then progresses to Competition Pack, CS, then CSL. Like the GTS, CSLs will be BMW M's most hardcore offerings.
"CSL [will be] the top-of-the-line track tool, made on the track for the track, just with a number plate," Van Meel said. With a CSL, you can expect cup tires, coilover suspension, a roll cage, water injection, and a fire extinguisher. Van Meel says that the CS on the other hand is "also a track tool, but with four seats," and more emphasis on comfort.

Now, Van Meel couldn't tell us what future M cars will get the CSL designation—it's typical for automakers to decline comment on future products—but he did say we'll never see an X5 M CSL. Given recent spy photos and rumors, we suspect that an M2 CSL might be a real possibility. Either that, or BMW M is developing Competition Pack and CS versions of its smallest car.
Van Meel is also open to four-door M cars with CSL branding, even if they aren't coupes. So perhaps we could see an M3 or M5 CSL, though the latter would be an odd choice for making an all-out track car.
Enthusiasts will no doubt be happy about the return of the CSL name, but it also adds pressure to BMW M. The only two cars in its history to have that badge, the 3.0 CSL and the E46 M3 CSL, are among BMW's most beloved cars. Any future CSL has a lot of legacy to live up to.

(source: here)
Never say never.
So since the M2 Competition we've learned is the new name for the CS we've been waiting for, and it's replacing the current M2 as the base model, you're suggesting there's a chance there's still a M2 CS coming out as well, plus potentially a CSL version?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 02:19 AM   #1261
M1fortyeye
Private
Rep
Drives: m140

New silver?
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=641
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 06:34 AM   #1262
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1fortyeye View Post
interesting!
      10-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #1263
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
So since the M2 Competition we've learned is the new name for the CS we've been waiting for, and it's replacing the current M2 as the base model, you're suggesting there's a chance there's still a M2 CS coming out as well, plus potentially a CSL version?
Saying again that the only real sign of life of an M2 variant that surfaced on the radar so far: an M2 with a 3.0 S55 engine with 302 kW output, dubbed "M2 Competition" (according to USA-spec VINs).

We'll know later what name BMW gave it in the end.

That's all for the moment.
      10-04-2017, 06:41 AM   #1264
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1fortyeye View Post
Wasn't that merely a glitch in the Swedish configurator ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Yes, I would have said it was a mistake in the configurator as it isn't listed in the price and options PDF but someone made the trouble to make a silver M2 for the configurator so seems a bit weird.
At first glance, not seeing it right now in the Swedish M2 configurator: https://www.bmw.se/sv/ssl/configurat.../config/PAINT/

Maybe it was based off a 2er in 'Glacier Silver Metallic' by mistake ? https://www.bmw.se/sv/ssl/configurat.../config/PAINT/
      10-04-2017, 07:09 AM   #1265
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Saved it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JustChris17545.50
      10-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #1266
swoosh_SE
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 (6MT AW)

Quote:
Wasn't that merely a glitch in the Swedish configurator ?
I think it was. The "Individual colour" box appeared when they changed the configurator for the LCI. It's gone now though and no way to get it to show the car in silver anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #1267
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh_SE View Post
I think it was. The "Individual colour" box appeared when they changed the configurator for the LCI. It's gone now though and no way to get it to show the car in silver anymore.
So the question is where did the image come from?

Was it simply an auto generated M2 in Glacier Silver using the 2er LCI palette or an image uploaded from elsewhere?

Either way, it looks pretty good like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #1268
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
So the question is where did the image come from?

Was it simply an auto generated M2 in Glacier Silver using the 2er LCI palette or an image uploaded from elsewhere?

Either way, it looks pretty good like that.
Correct they are auto generated.
      10-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #1269
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think the poster that mentioned the marketing department getting involved may have hit the nail on the head.

Past rumor long ago: An S55 base model and CS

We've seen two S55 mules with different brakes, but essentially the same body camo.

What separates the base from the CS? Seats, brakes, suspension, and a few interior bits.

Marketing: Why the hell should we limit ourselves to an upmarket CS when we can make so much money on options??? Ureka! Shit....we can't call it a CS now. Let's call it a Competition.

Fully optioned Competition = CS
Stripper Competition = Base

Two birds, one stone, highest profit margin. Some of the "stripper" folks will likely add an option that they otherwise would have forgone if only the Base and CS were available.

I suspect there might be an interior package that is bundled with the Sport Seats to make the more highly optioned cars feel more special. a la CS I don't believe there will be an M2 CS. I now believe there will be the Competition, and then the CSL.

Now what will really chap my hide is when i purchase a fully optioned Competion, and then the CSL looks like the concept car.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #1270
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Now what will really chap my hide is when i purchase a fully optioned Competion, and then the CSL looks like the concept car.
CSL: more power, two-seater, cup tires, coilover suspension, roll cage, water injection and a fire extinguisher. Rather not suitable as daily driver or family car. But yeah, it may look the dogs dangly bits.
      10-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #1271
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

MY CA tells me that they have nothing official but the new Competition model will be limited to 300 units and sell for over MSRP. BS due to having no clue or confused with CSL or BS due to wanting me to keep my current order?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #1272
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CSL: more power, two-seater, cup tires, coilover suspension, roll cage, water injection and a fire extinguisher. Rather not suitable as daily driver or family car. But yeah, it may look the dogs dangly bits.
If I knew it looked the part, I'd buy it regardless of practically. Unfortunately I think we'll be in the dark. The reality is that a track focused car really needs adjustable aero front and rear. Likely meeting it won't look like the concepts I adore.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #1273
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
MY CA tells me that they have nothing official but the new Competition model will be limited to 300 units and sell for over MSRP. BS due to having no clue or confused with CSL or BS due to wanting me to keep my current order?
I've been told various things too. One said 1000 units and only around 1 allocation per dealer, over MSRP. Another says it will simply replace the base and no more limited than a regular M2 (depending on where you buy from could be at or above MSRP).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #1274
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I believe we will see the run of 1000 HS units. Likely pre optioned to some degree with limited addons. Maybe a CS style interior.

The base could be optioned up to the same thing, but won't get the HS color option, and possibly a slightly different interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #1275
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

This was posted on the German Bimmer Today website October 2: http://www.bimmertoday.de/2017/10/02...cht-cs-heisen/. Some of you will like what it says, some of you will hate it - but that’s what makes this all fun, right? What appears here was translated from the original German by Google Translate with no content modifications; formatting was adjusted slightly here to make it more readable. YRMV.

BMW M2 Competition 2018: All current information on the M2 update
BMW M2 | 2.10.2017 by Benny10

More than a year ago we reported for the first time from the M2 CS, now it is clear: The update will be launched in 2018 as a BMW M2 Competition ...

More than a year ago, we reported for the first time from the M2 CS, now it becomes clear: The update will go to the start in 2018 as a BMW M2 Competition and will not carry the already officially secured name. The BMW M4 CS will be only the beginning for appropriately named vehicles, since the plans for a new nomenclature of the M models are by no means changed - the M2 is only slightly differently sorted within the model range.

Because the new logic for different performance and performance levels is divided as follows: The entry marks the model directly available to the market start without name addition, thus, for example, a BMW M2. The variant with the competition package is ranked above, which in the future will be marketed for example under the name BMW M2 Competition. At the next level, the CS model follows, before finally the top model CSL the series crowns. The abbreviation GTS used last for corresponding models is at least retired for the moment.

But back to the BMW M2 Competition: Contrary to the existing supply logic, the new M2 variant will not be offered in addition to the standard M2 but will replace it. The background is relatively simple: although the demand for compact sports cars has developed satisfactorily well, the market is not big enough for so many models in the same segment - after all, there is also the M240i, which also has a 340 HP M240i similar target group.

The new BMW M2 Competition will replace the current M2 in the second half of 2018 and justifies its name with some performance-relevant modifications. Perhaps the most important measure is the new engine, because the previously used N55 with 370 hp is replaced by a throttled variant of the S55 engine from M3 and M4. The twin-cylinder twin-turbo cylinder offers a further improved response and greater power reserves, out of respect for the larger models, the M2 will "only" send around 400 hp to the rear wheels.

Together with the new drive, we can also expect a more refined chassis, which means that the compact rear-mounted sports car with its balanced weight distribution will provide even more driving dynamics. With a dramatic price increase, according to our information is not to be expected: The price for the BMW M2 Competition 2018 is to remain under 65,000 euros in any case.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      10-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #1276
Chako
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
This was posted on the German Bimmer Today website October 2: http://www.bimmertoday.de/2017/10/02...cht-cs-heisen/.
Thank you, as some astute forum members have speculated: S55 M2 replacing the base M2 (Not limited but also not easy to get at least at first), reasonable price increase, likely an array of options as the VINs so far have shown, 2018 release.

This will be quite the pocket rocket!
Appreciate 0