BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 2020 Corvette C8 an M2 Killer?

07-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #177
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Keep learning more new things about the C8 every day. Can't wait for the first drive reviews.

The Corvette C8 has electronically adjustable brakes. Here's how they work
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #178
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

2020 Corvette Stingray Playbook
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #179
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
We're talking about people that are buying a C8 Vette, so yes those people can afford a new BMW.

You've clearly never been inside a chevy dealership and seen the average clientele. I'd rather hang out in a BMW/Lexus dealer waiting room personally if I was getting my $60K+ dollar car serviced.
Sure cause thats why we buy cars: the waiting room.

Listen I hear you. I agree that BMW srv centers are far more customer friendly, but the C8 for anybody really into cars is going to be hard to ignore.
      07-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #180
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Heres one stereotype we can dismiss immediately. Would anybody think Chevys are more reliable than BMWs? I sure wouldnt. I wish GM would establish Corvette's own dealer/service network; it would be a lot easier for me to buy into that. Still, cant knock this reliability rating though.
Attached Images

07-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #181
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompetentAccountant View Post
Lots of bias/unconscious bias there. Marketing works!

The level of service at modern dealers is fine. The build quality will also be fine. The rest is between you and your psychologist
I expect a little more than “fine” on my 6 figure car and Porsche hasn’t let me down.

A car is a status symbol whether people want to admit it or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #182
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
I expect a little more than “fine” on my 6 figure car and Porsche hasn’t let me down.

Only if youre real insecure, and buy into groupthink. Its a total illusion. Do you think its high status to be driving a car you cant afford and are about to be repossessed? Is it chic to be upside down on every material possession you put out there for the world to see? Do you think every Toyota driver is 2 steps from the poor house? You cant tell diddly about the status of somebody by the baubles they put out there to represent.

Cant buy into these images; its all marketing and slight of hand.

Last edited by boostm3; 07-25-2019 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
B58togo808.50
      07-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #183
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Only if youre real insecure, and buy into groupthink. Its a total illusion. Do you think its high status to be driving a car you cant afford and are about to be repossessed? Is it chic to be upside down on every material possession you put out there for the world to see? Do you think every Toyota driver is 2 steps from the poor house? You cant tell diddly about the status of somebody by the baubles they put out there to represent.

seriously.. some of the richest people I know look and live very poorly, and I know a lot of people with nice big houses and cars that couldn't handle a failed hot water heater event.
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 2
boostm3683.00
B58togo808.50
      07-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #184
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

GM takes a lot of pride in their LS/LT series motors. The engines are hand made in their kentucky plant. Reliablity engine wise, it should be fine. I think the c8 stepped it up in the interior compared to the c7. I think the c8 will appeal to a lot of car enthusists but not everyone that buys a porsche or m3 are car enthusists.

i think the c8 would be a great second car, but not a only car. Thats where the m2/m3/m4 cars shine as a all around car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #185
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Sure cause thats why we buy cars: the waiting room.

Listen I hear you. I agree that BMW srv centers are far more customer friendly, but the C8 for anybody really into cars is going to be hard to ignore.
Of course not but it's part of the ownership equation. Buying the most expensive car in a cheap car brand is generally not a good thing for overall ownership experience. Corvette for Chevy, GT-R for Nissan, Viper for Dodge etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #186
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
I am giving this C8 some serious thought. My last Corvette was a 2014 C7 Z51 then I transitioned from the C7 to a 2015 M3 then onto a 2018 M5 F90 in August of 2018. The wife and I were thinking about getting her a M2, Cayman S/GTS and now the C8. We took the Cayman S/GTS out of the equation because of the exhaust sound. My wife stated it sounded like a 70's VW Bug and she did not care how the car handled or drove. I know how she feels since the exhaust sound was the driving factor for me getting rid of the F80 M3 for the F90 M5. Truth be told I picked the F90 over a new 911 S / GTS. I thought I would transition from the M3 into a 911 but the M5 won me over.

I had a chance to see and sit in the new C8 this past Monday at Bob Stall Chevrolet in SoCal. The dealership is selling the C8 at MSRP and taking deposits. After seeing the car in person we are seriously thinking about buying the C8.

I respect other peoples views but to say the Corvette is a boy racer vehicle in my opinion is way off base. I am 53 and one of the youngest people at the dealership looking at the C8 this past Monday, look at the people in the background.

I have owned a good many Corvettes with the first being a 1991 C4 Corvette that I purchased when I was 25 (1991). I was running the 1/4 mile at Maryland International Raceway and was running consistent 13.7's for the 1/4 mile and took the trophy for the evening. My favorite was the 2012 C6 Z06/Z07 parked in my driveway, I should have kept that vehicle.

If my wife does not want the new C8, I will more then likely sell the M5 (F90) and transition back to the Corvette family.

I have to agree that the service department at some Chevrolet dealerships is not always great.

A lot of talk about the Vette demographic, but I think the C8 will accomplish GM's goal.. This is a much younger car. (not that the C7 was old) But I think this is such a huge paradigm shift that it will crack the stereotype wide open.. Just read this thread a bit to see how millenials, etc, are taking to it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-up-a-c8.html
      07-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #187
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Of course not but it's part of the ownership equation. Buying the most expensive car in a cheap car brand is generally not a good thing for overall ownership experience. Corvette for Chevy, GT-R for Nissan, Viper for Dodge etc.
Wish they would split off Corvette into its own dealer/srvc network. I think it would do wonders for sales and appeal.
      07-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #188
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
I think the c8 is going to bring in a new demographic of buyers past the traditional image of the corvette. i think its a home run for GM. The aftermarket will fix the tail lights. i think the supra will need to offer a manual at least to compete against the c8.
I agree with you here on all counts but reliability will be key.

The engine will be bullet proof based on its history I suspect.

Cooling on the NA as well.

The bespoke DCT will be an entirely different matter...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #189
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
IMO it's a Supra killer. They're going to debut the Supra at essentially the same price. For a 2 seater it makes no sense to not get the Corvette.
Size and reliability are important for me.

If it feels too big or falls apart after a few rapid shifts on the track then Cayman & Supra may make sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #190
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Wish they would split off Corvette into its own dealer/srvc network. I think it would do wonders for sales and appeal.
Just ask Hyundai how that's working out with the Genesis. It is a very expensive proposition to start a new service network which would eventually be reflected in the price of the car. I take my M2C in once a year for an oil change. I'd think that you could suffer at the Chevy dealership for that. Who knows you might even meet someone nice in the lobby among all the common people. I can afford any car that I want and I have no problem taking my mom's Pontiac in for service.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 07-26-2019 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 3
      07-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #191
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:

Some people care about image and what that projects to society. You don’t have to be insecure to care about your image, though you’re right that some do compensate that way. Marketing, sure. But it’s also how we unconsciously judge people and you can’t pretend that doesn’t exist.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #192
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
I'm not the one that blew up my car and then whine about it in every post. I've had 30K+ flawless miles on my S55's.

People vote with their wallets, if you hate the car sell it and get something you like so we don't have to hear you cry about making payments on a broken car anymore.

I'm no fanboy, I've owned BMW, Mini, Mazda, Lotus, Nissan, Porsche, Honda, VW, Subaru, Toyota.
Ah, now I see why you're so mad at life.
      07-25-2019, 10:21 PM   #193
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Just ask Hyundai how that's working out with the Genesis. It is a very expensive proposition to start a new service network which would eventually be reflected in the price of the car. I take my M2C in once a year for an oil change. I think I you could suffer at the Chevy dealership for that. Who knows you might even meet someone nice in the lobby among all the common people. I can afford any car that I want and I have no problem taking my mom's Pontiac in for service.
Its not about that.. If they want to capture BMW and P car buyers, and millenials, they'll have to have a great product that would entice them, which I think they've got here.. Second, theyve got to get them over the stigma of Chevy. For whatever reason, BMW and Porshe buyers have a thing, whether real or imagined, against Chevrolet. After all, its not a premium brand.. But Corvette could be. If Corvette were able to establsh its own identity separate and apart from Chevy, I think it makes it a lot easier to attract those buyers.
1mm2433.50
      07-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #194
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

On the list for a new GT4. Disappointed with the new 4.0 specs and no change with the ridiculous long gearing. My spec was about $115K.
Just put a deposit on the C8 Z51.
I'm not the only one jumping ship from the GT4 - the C8 is one of rennlists most popular topics.
I will say my 1M is a keeper.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      07-25-2019, 11:09 PM   #195
CompetentAccountant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Quote:

Porsche fits into the same "fine" category. People make a huge deal of it, when in reality MOST cars these days are built to very high tolerances and have great reliability. The differences are typically in design (trade-offs in every car).

Yes, a car is absolutely a status symbol to some people and the C8 makes quite a statement, wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
seriously.. some of the richest people I know look and live very poorly, and I know a lot of people with nice big houses and cars that couldn't handle a failed hot water heater event.
True. People have different priorities and interests.

Quote:
Some people care about image and what that projects to society. You don’t have to be insecure to care about your image, though you’re right that some do compensate that way. Marketing, sure. But it’s also how we unconsciously judge people and you can’t pretend that doesn’t exist.
Actually, if you care how you're perceived by others based on what you drive, then in fact you probably are insecure.

Yes, people judge; always have an always will. But who cares? That's their problem, not yours. Unless you make it yours. Drive what makes you happy.
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      07-26-2019, 06:06 AM   #196
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompetentAccountant View Post
Actually, if you care how you're perceived by others based on what you drive, then in fact you probably are insecure.

Yes, people judge; always have an always will. But who cares? That's their problem, not yours. Unless you make it yours. Drive what makes you happy.
This.

If the car gives you what you want WGAS what others think.

Unless of course you're a teenager in which case I understand...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #197
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+ | Colorado Z71

Garage List
If I would've known this car was coming, I would've never ordered an M2...
      07-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #198
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Were those the GT2 or comp seats you sat in? How were they?
I believe they were the GT2 seats. I am 5'10" at 200 lbs and the seats to me were comfortable. Battery power to the vehicle had been disconnected so the seats could not be adjusted.
Appreciate 0