BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Vrsf 5" intercooler upgrade

11-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
akahn221
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Vrsf 5" intercooler upgrade

Hey guys, this is my first post due to the fact that I finally cannot find an answer to one of my questions.

About a month ago I installed VRSF 5" stepped intercooler and their catless downpipe on my MY17 LBB M2.

Had a big boost leak at first but fixed it by getting the clamps on correctly. These days my check engine light is coming on and reading code P120D and I have a feeling it has something to do with a boost leak because I do not have an aftermarket air intake just the K&N air filter.

Now my question is, when you folks were Installing a VRSF intercooler did you use any couplers or O rings? I still feel like I'm leaking in the higher rpms. I just can't figure out what exactly it could be. Wanted to ask around first before I spend money on a smoke test that probably won't do me much.

Let me know what you folks have done if you have been in this situation!

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #2
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akahn221 View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post due to the fact that I finally cannot find an answer to one of my questions.

About a month ago I installed VRSF 5" stepped intercooler and their catless downpipe on my MY17 LBB M2.

Had a big boost leak at first but fixed it by getting the clamps on correctly. These days my check engine light is coming on and reading code P120D and I have a feeling it has something to do with a boost leak because I do not have an aftermarket air intake just the K&N air filter.

Now my question is, when you folks were Installing a VRSF intercooler did you use any couplers or O rings? I still feel like I'm leaking in the higher rpms. I just can't figure out what exactly it could be. Wanted to ask around first before I spend money on a smoke test that probably won't do me much.

Thank you!
I think ur supposed to reuse the stock ones. I'm not too sure if that applies to the chargepioe or IC because I was told u can resuse it. There are some YouTube videos u can look up for installing M2 intercooler.

I actually have the same intercooler and planning to install the bm3 stage 1 tune soon to fix the low end tourqe lag. Did u notice that too?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:

Thank you!
Hi,
first off this is in the wrong section, the m2's with an air to air intercooler such as the vrsf 5" model has the N55 engine and you should post in the N55 section instead.

Next off the P120D code could be due to the leak as it could be letting air out post maf, but it could be the MAF readings being messed up by the MAF. Do you have ISTA + to see if the car has any other warnings a generic reader cant see?

In regards to the coupler, you use the one supplied with your aftermarket chargepipe if you have one.

in regards to the O rings you must use either new OEM o-rings or reuse the old ones if they are not too badly damaged. You need an Oring that goes from the chargepipe to the intercooler, and another O-ring that goes from the chargepipe to the throttle body, this is for the cold side. The hot side will also require O rings from the turbo to the chargepipe, and the chargepipe to the intercooler as well. Also check to make sure they are seated properly in the chargepipe, and are not pinched.

Here is the real oem didagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_1500

You need these O-rings on the cold side: 9, 12
Hotside: 9,10.

Quick summary:

They should still be in the stock chargepipes and you can remove them with a pick and transfer them to the aftermarket chargepipes if you are using them, and if the Orings are still in good shape. Otherwise if you are using a stock chargepipe make sure they are still seated well.

Otherwise I recommened changing them anyways as it is a huge PITA to change them out later on.
Saintjah121.50
      11-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
akahn221
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
I think ur supposed to reuse the stock ones. I'm not too sure if that applies to the chargepioe or IC because I was told u can resuse it. There are some YouTube videos u can look up for installing M2 intercooler.

I actually have the same intercooler and planning to install the bm3 stage 1 tune soon to fix the low end tourqe lag. Did u notice that too?
I gotcha, I actually did not notice that as I am stage 2+ through MHD. It's very torquey in the low end. I was going to try out BM3 but I used MHD for my 135n55 and absolutely loved it. They are very similar features wise.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      11-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
akahn221
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Hi,
first off this is in the wrong section, the m2's with an air to air intercooler such as the vrsf 5" model has the N55 engine and you should post in the N55 section instead.

Next off the P120D code could be due to the leak as it could be letting air out post maf, but it could be the MAF readings being messed up by the MAF. Do you have ISTA + to see if the car has any other warnings a generic reader cant see?

In regards to the coupler, you use the one supplied with your aftermarket chargepipe if you have one.

in regards to the O rings you must use either new OEM o-rings or reuse the old ones if they are not too badly damaged. You need an Oring that goes from the chargepipe to the intercooler, and another O-ring that goes from the chargepipe to the throttle body, this is for the cold side. The hot side will also require O rings from the turbo to the chargepipe, and the chargepipe to the intercooler as well. Also check to make sure they are seated properly in the chargepipe, and are not pinched.

Here is the real oem didagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_1500

You need these O-rings on the cold side: 9, 12
Hotside: 9,10.

Quick summary:

They should still be in the stock chargepipes and you can remove them with a pick and transfer them to the aftermarket chargepipes if you are using them, and if the Orings are still in good shape. Otherwise if you are using a stock chargepipe make sure they are still seated well.

Otherwise I recommened changing them anyways as it is a huge PITA to change them out later on.
Hi, my apologies I did not notice that I posted in the S55 section. N55 rules!! Haha jk. But I got it. So what I need to do it take off the Intercooler and check on those O rings because I did not know about them when installing. I don't plan on changing out the charge pipes as of now. Maybe a little bit down the line. But ive heard it's not fun haha. I unfortunately do not have ISTA+. But I am sure that this leak has something to do with the connection between the chargepipe and the Intercooler as that is all I have swapped. I have done downpipes before so I know that is on there pretty well. I will have to play with it on Sunday I guess. Should be fun. Thank you for that diagram!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Hi, my apologies I did not notice that I posted in the S55 section. N55 rules!! Haha jk. But I got it. So what I need to do it take off the Intercooler and check on those O rings because I did not know about them when installing. I don't plan on changing out the charge pipes as of now. Maybe a little bit down the line. But ive heard it's not fun haha. I unfortunately do not have ISTA+. But I am sure that this leak has something to do with the connection between the chargepipe and the Intercooler as that is all I have swapped. I have done downpipes before so I know that is on there pretty well. I will have to play with it on Sunday I guess. Should be fun. Thank you for that diagram!
You're welcome, yeah check the connections again and make sure the O-rings are seated well. It would be better if you had ista+ and some kind of data logging device to see if the boost is hitting it's targets which would make checking for leaks alot easier.

That's code could also be MAF related due to a oily filter, also check if the MAF is connected and if everything intake related is not loose.
      11-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
akahn221
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
You're welcome, yeah check the connections again and make sure the O-rings are seated well. It would be better if you had ista+ and some kind of data logging device to see if the boost is hitting it's targets which would make checking for leaks alot easier.

That's code could also be MAF related due to a oily filter, also check if the MAF is connected and if everything intake related is not loose.
So if figured it out. Error on my human part haha. The O ring for the left side of the pipe was completely out and just hanging. Must have not noticed it when I was installing. But now I have out it back in with some lubricant and tightened the connection very well. I am boost leak free. Where I was noticing the power loss up high, it now pulls and pulls and pulls. Extremely happy and very thankful for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:09 AM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So if figured it out. Error on my human part haha. The O ring for the left side of the pipe was completely out and just hanging. Must have not noticed it when I was installing. But now I have out it back in with some lubricant and tightened the connection very well. I am boost leak free. Where I was noticing the power loss up high, it now pulls and pulls and pulls. Extremely happy and very thankful for the feedback.
Good stuff 👍
      11-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0