BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan S55 Flash Tuning (F87 M2C & F8x M3/M4)

11-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: Dinan S55 Flash Tuning (F87 M2C & F8x M3/M4)

Name:  S55_Flash_Banner.jpg
Views: 2430
Size:  366.6 KB

Dinan S55 Flash Tuning (F87 M2C & F8x M3/M4)

Part Number(s): D900-S55-S1-W / -HE, D900-S55-S1
Applications:
  • 2018-2020 BMW F87 M2C
  • 2015-2018 BMW F80 M3
  • 2015-2020 BMW F82 / F83 M4
Product Page(s) / Pricing: Release Date: Available Now! Please note that not all Dinan dealers are participating in the S55 flash release at its initial product launch. Please contact your local authorized dealer or Dinan directly to find out if your dealer is participating.

Description: Dinan has a long and storied past when it comes to engine tuning having introduced our first engine performance chip in the mid 80's — over 3 decades ago. From those early years with chips, followed by engine software and then to our own external control modules we have become experts in nearly every possible way to extract safe, reliable power from the factory powerplant. While we have long preferred the unheard of control and sophistication capable of being achieved from engine software, over the past 6 years that option was not one afforded to us. That changes now with the re-introduction to flash tuning for Dinan with the S55 engine.

The first of the next generation of Dinan flash tunes the S55 calibrations are held to the same principles of the past; performance, reliability and safety. Dinan performance engine software is so much more than just tuning up the turbo boost after all. It is a fully re-tuned engine management program that maximizes power while keeping all the BMW factory safeguards in place. Protecting your BMW while giving the most performance is the definition of "Performance Without Sacrifice". Drivetrain and engine components are analyzed for strength then the calibration is tested on the dyno and in the real world for durability and drivability.

This next generation of Dinan flash tunes does differ from the past however in that there are many different options to choose from depending on your needs or desires. Whether you want a warranted tune for 93 pump gas when under the factory warranty, an E85 performance tune for maximum performance when outside of the factory warranty, or something in between, chances are Dinan has an option for you.

Features and Benefits Common to All S55 Performance Engine Software Variants:
  • Full map rescaling for drivability from idle to wide open throttle and everywhere in between
  • Top speed governor removed
  • Retains all BMW factory engine damage safeguards
  • Torque gains drastically improve acceleration
  • No hesitation between shifts
  • Downloads through the OBD2 Port - See note following the various performance charts about possible compatibility limitations
  • Hassle free operation — Install and enjoy

Features, Benefits, Requirements and Power Charts Specific to "Dinan +" S55 Performance Engine Software:
  • More Power: Max gains of 58 HP / 51 lb-ft of torque over stock on the F87 M2C and 32 HP / 42 lb-ft of torque over stock on the F8x M3/M4. Detailed power data can be found in the below charts or at the link provided.
  • Factory matching warranty coverage (4 year / 50,000 mi), including the possibility of consequential damages.
  • Calibrated to work exclusively with pump gas (91 and 93 octane).
  • No required parts, install on a stock car and receive the full power gains

Name:  F87_M2C_Plus_Wheel_FLASH-Recovered.jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  214.0 KB

Features, Benefits, Requirements and Power Charts Specific to "Dinan +HE" S55 Performance Engine Software:
  • More Power: Max gains of 80 HP / 88 lb-ft of torque over stock on the F87 M2C and 68 HP / 80 lb-ft of torque over stock on the F8x M3/M4. Detailed power data can be found in the below charts or at the link provided.
  • Factory matching warranty coverage (4 year / 50,000 mi), including the possibility of consequential damages.
  • Calibrated to work exclusively with pump gas (91 and 93 octane).
  • Requires the Dinan heat exchanger (D780-0001A) to retain warranty coverage and to realize advertised power gains.

Name:  F87_M2C_PlusHE_Wheel_FLASH-Recovered.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  218.2 KB

Features, Benefits, Requirements and Power Charts Specific to "Dinan Stage 1" S55 Performance Engine Software:
  • More Power: Max gains up to 146 HP / 155 lb-ft of torque over stock on the F87 M2C and 122 HP / 145 lb-ft of torque over stock on the F8x M3/M4 using E85. Detailed power data for 93 and E85 octanes can be found in the charts below. For performance data on other octanes please visit the appropriate product page on the Dinan website.
  • Dinan Stage 1 performance software includes a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and provides free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty and are at the discretion of the place of install.
  • Access to numerous octane calibrations depending on your needs (91, 93, 100, 104, and E85). Switching between mappings would require a reflash at a Dinan authorized dealer.
  • The Dinan Heat Exchanger (D780-0001A) or equivalent is highly recommended when running ANY of the stage 1 maps. Without the heat exchanger installed the vehicle will tend to heat soak / derate under any meaningful load. Advertised gains as a result will not be able to be achieved.

Name:  F87_M2C_93_Wheel_FLASH-Recovered.jpg
Views: 2271
Size:  218.0 KB
Name:  F87_M2C_E85_Wheel_FLASH-Recovered.jpg
Views: 2267
Size:  223.4 KB

COMPATABILITY NOTICE - BOX CODES & JUNE 2019 FACTORY UPDATE

DME box code and bootloader information must be obtained from the vehicle to determine if a vehicle is flashable in its current state. In some cases we will need to create a file for your vehicle. This process could take several days and multiple dealer visits.

Vehicles previously serviced or updated after June of 2019 may have received a DME bootloader update from BMW. This bootloader version will prevent the Dinan software upgrade from completing. DMEs with the updated bootloader must be removed from the vehicle, and sent to Dinan HQ to have the bootloader backdated. DMEs sent to Dinan for the backdating procedure will not be opened or physically modified in any way. Once the DME is returned to the dealer, they must still be flashed with the Dinan performance software through the OBDII port. If a previously backdated and flashed ECU is updated with the new bootloader, the above process will need to be repeated. Dinan will not pay labor under warranty to remove and reinstall ECUs that were previously backdated, and then updated by BMW or a third party.

DINAN S55 ENGINE PERFORMANCE SOFTWARE FAQ:

I already own a DINANTRONICS Elite kit for the S55 engine, can I switch to the flash?
Yes, you can trade in your existing DINANTRONICS kit and qualify for a warrantied tune (balance of the factory matching 4yr/50 k warranty) upgrade for only $149.95. If you are already out of warranty or simply want more power you can opt to switch to the full stage 1 options (no factory matching warranty) without any associated upgrade fee. Pricing listed is dependent on trade-in of registered, first-hand units. Used, second-hand units do not qualify.

When I purchase a Stage 1 S55 flash do I only have access to one of the octane mappings?
When a stage 1 S55 flash is purchased you obtain licenses for ALL the various octane maps. However, only one map can be loaded on the car at any given time so if you wish to use a different octane then what is initially loaded it would require a trip to your authorized Dinan dealer for a reflash. Labor / install charges to perform this service would be at the discretion of the dealer. We recommend loading the octane mapping that is most commonly used for the vehicle (91, 93 or E85 most likely) and only do a map change for special occurrences such as a track day.

I have the Dinan +/ +HE tune but want more. What are my options?
Dinan+ users can upgrade to the Dinan +HE variant at no charge for more power while retaining the Dinan factory matching warranty provided a Heat Exchanger is purchased and installed as well. For those that want even more power you can opt to switch to the full Stage 1 tunes, taking advantage of more aggressive mapping geared for race fuels, at no additional cost. Switching to these mappings however will immediately cease any factory matching warranty obligation. For all of these scenarios, labor and/or install dealer fees still apply.

I do not live near a Dinan Dealer can I still purchase Performance Software?
At this time Dinan S55 Engine Performance Software must be installed through one of our authorized dealers. Our dealer list is constantly expanding however so check out the dealer locator often at https://www.dinancars.com/authorized-dealers/ to make sure a new dealer has not begun servicing your area.

Will Dinan parts be covered under my extended/CPO warranty through BMW?
The Dinan warranty (For Dinan+ / +HE variants) matches the new car 4 year / 50,000 mi warranty but does not cover any extended or CPO warranties.

Can I flash my vehicle back to the stock tune?
Yes, you have the ability to flash the vehicle back to stock but the process would need to be completed by a dealer. There is no cost to do so from Dinan but you would potentially be subject to dealer labor rates to perform the service.

What if I am not happy with my Dinan Engine Performance Software purchase? Is there a return window?
All Dinan engine software include a 30-day money back guarantee with no questions asked. If for any reason the owner is dissatisfied with the Dinan engine software, they may return to the place of purchase for a full refund, provided they are within the 30 day period from the time of the initial purchase. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the guarantee and are at the discretion of the place of install.

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 11-12-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
hz101169.50
      11-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Both of my local Houston BMW dealers are listed as authorized Dinan partners. Will they backdate the DME or does it still have to be sent off?

Great tune! Would love to try it.
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Both of my local Houston BMW dealers are listed as authorized Dinan partners. Will they backdate the DME or does it still have to be sent off?

Great tune! Would love to try it.
Would still have to be sent off if it has been updated to the newest boot loader I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Fantastic, we are an authorized Dinan retailer/flash facility for those in SoCal.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02M3 19X3M40 on order 21 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Would still have to be sent off if it has been updated to the newest boot loader I'm afraid.
so no OBD if is updated?
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS View Post
so no OBD if is updated?
Correct. Not until the bootloader is backdated.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Both of my local Houston BMW dealers are listed as authorized Dinan partners.
I used BMW of West Houston to install my Dinan turbo and believe that they are a Dinan Premier dealer. Great experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

When B MW upodated my software in August it fixed a probl;em that caused it to go into limp mode twice and for Apple Carplay to crash over nad over. IUf it is backdated will these problems return?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
When B MW upodated my software in August it fixed a probl;em that caused it to go into limp mode twice and for Apple Carplay to crash over nad over. IUf it is backdated will these problems return?
Shouldn't. The backdating is localized to the bootloader itself and does not touch any of the programming or coding so the car will have the same updates and patches it had pre-flash.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #10
CountSmurfula
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2C

Has anyone here tried the tune yet? I am also curious how long the process took if you had to send off the computer to backdate the DME. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #11
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountSmurfula View Post
Has anyone here tried the tune yet? I am also curious how long the process took if you had to send off the computer to backdate the DME. Thank you!
I got it from Turner Service. They shipped it to Dinan on Friday and got it back on Wednesday.

Haven't had an opportunity to really test it because it's been snowing.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 12-06-2019 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #12
CountSmurfula
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2C

That is a quick turnaround! Thank you for letting me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #13
steve457
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

DriverDaily, any feedback yet from the tune? I'm anxiously waiting some reviews before making the move myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #14
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve457 View Post
DriverDaily, any feedback yet from the tune? I'm anxiously waiting some reviews before making the move myself.
OK, I have the Dinan Plus (no heat exchanger).

I previously I've had:
  • MKVI GTI with intake and Revo tune
  • LS2 GTO with full bolt ons and gears

My Impression of the Dinan Tune:
  • Before, the stock tune's power dropped off at high RPM. Now, It's more fun to rev all the way to redline.
  • Second spins more easily.
  • I haven't felt any difference in driveability, it's very tame.
  • This is a nice bump, worth the money, but it doesn't transform the car the way my Revo tune did when I had a GTI. It feels about the same as headers + tune on my GTO. Honestly, I was expecting more.

I'm going to try to find a way to get a Dinan intercooler without the Dinan logo. Possibly by media blasting, hot tanking, or with paint thinner. That way I can get the full tune.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 12-09-2019 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #15
TheHighRoad
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2  [0.00]
Can you guys do the backdating with the DME in the car if I bring it up to Auburn? I'd rather drive then remove and ship.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #16
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Dinan--

Rumors are that you are working on an N55 flash, too. Correct? If so, will there be more than one version? For example, for those of us who already have the Stage IV M2 with the piggyback, will there be a flash that takes advantage of the uprated turbo and improves on the Stage IV set-up?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #17
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighRoad View Post
Can you guys do the backdating with the DME in the car if I bring it up to Auburn? I'd rather drive then remove and ship.
Yes. Send an email to support@dinancars.com to schedule something as we would need a bit of a heads up to make sure we have someone around with small enough hands present to do it quickly. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Dinan--

Rumors are that you are working on an N55 flash, too. Correct? If so, will there be more than one version? For example, for those of us who already have the Stage IV M2 with the piggyback, will there be a flash that takes advantage of the uprated turbo and improves on the Stage IV set-up?
Yes. N55 is being worked on and as far as I am aware there will be a variant to support stage 4 although it remains to be seen how much improvement may be had as the biggest limitation on the OG M2 is still fueling.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #18
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
biggest limitation on the OG M2 is still fueling.
Maybe you should look into sourcing or making a new HPFP. Lord knows the market is out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #19
steve457
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post
OK, I have the Dinan Plus (no heat exchanger).

I previously I've had:
  • MKVI GTI with intake and Revo tune
  • LS2 GTO with full bolt ons and gears

My Impression of the Dinan Tune:
  • Before, the stock tune's power dropped off at high RPM. Now, It's more fun to rev all the way to redline.
  • Second spins more easily.
  • I haven't felt any difference in driveability, it's very tame.
  • This is a nice bump, worth the money, but it doesn't transform the car the way my Revo tune did when I had a GTI. It feels about the same as headers + tune on my GTO. Honestly, I was expecting more.

I'm going to try to find a way to get a Dinan intercooler without the Dinan logo. Possibly by media blasting, hot tanking, or with paint thinner. That way I can get the full tune.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that the drivability is not really impacted, as that is the one thing that worries me as I've had other tuned cars where the drivability suffered. I prefer the factory smoothness at all throttle applications.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts once you upgrade to the full +HE tune. I'm sure there will be a noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #20
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

anyone here done the Dinan+HE tune (max with warranty)?

if so, would you PLEASE chime in and give us some impressions! thanks in advance

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:46 PM   #21
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep

Dinan_Engineering
  • Comparing Dinan + and Dinan + HE, I noticed the Dinan + HE underperforms the lower tier Dinan + at 2500rpm.
    It's not a big deal, but I am curious why?
  • Do these tuned dyno runs reflect the Dinan intake or upcoming exhaust?
  • Was the baseline run on 91 or 93 octane?

Last edited by DriverDaily; 01-01-2020 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #22
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post
Dinan_Engineering
  • Comparing Dinan + and Dinan + HE, I noticed the Dinan + HE underperforms the lower tier Dinan + at 2500rpm.
    It's not a big deal, but I am curious why?
  • Do these tuned dyno runs reflect the Dinan intake or upcoming exhaust?
  • Was the baseline run on 91 or 93 octane?
1. I would imagine it was just a matter of how the pull was done and started at a slightly higher range but just a guess on my part. No calibration in the office to confirm but can followup on the 6th when everyone is back. Send an email to info@dinancars.com if you wanted to go down that route as a reminder.
2. No, stock car (or with HE in the case of that tune variant).
3. Baseline was on 91.
Appreciate 0