BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > damage pre delivery

11-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
xswesx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m1

damage pre delivery

Just wanted to ask the forum what they think about this.

So my M2C will be at VPC for 2 weeks soon, this caused some concern and I asked my dealer to do some digging. They obliged and contacted VPC and the news was there was a paint imperfection in a rear quarter panel. I'm assuming VPC will be refinishing the entire quarter panel.

I understand VPC is considered an extension of the factory and all repairs will be done to factory standards. It's just a bit disappointing to hear my brand new car had a paint defect from the factory.

What would you do in this situation? Thoughts on potentially damaging my resale value? I will be bringing my paint meter on delivery.

Last edited by xswesx; 11-07-2019 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I went on a tour at the VDC. They had a new M car that had been dented on the rear quarter panel. The manager explained that they had to repaint the whole side of the car in order to match the paint perfectly. I would look it over very carefully. Look for differences in paint texture as well as color.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1211.00
      11-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Check the paint with a Coating Thickness Gauge, if you find a discrepancy you can prove it with the measurements you make, very easy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Fully trust VDC to take care of your car. Damage happens during transport sometimes. Definitely a bummer to hear but have no worry, bmw vpc is an extension of the factory. If they could not repair to 100% then they would not do it and find a different solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #5
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Fully trust VDC to take care of your car. Damage happens during transport sometimes. Definitely a bummer to hear but have no worry, bmw vpc is an extension of the factory. If they could not repair to 100% then they would not do it and find a different solution.
This!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would be a bit annoyed since it happened to my brand new car that I haven't even seen yet.

Is the dealership obligated to let the customer know about damage during transportation? I never asked about previous damage when I bought mine and I bought mine off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #7
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I presented that question to the VDC manager during the tour. I was told that the dealer will have paperwork of a repair done at VDC but they don't have to tell you unless you ask.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
This!
Hope you guys are right! Just reached out to the ED Department regarding status of my car, after finding it was being processed at VDC earlier this week... came back to me today saying they found a damaged piece of trim upon full inspection of the vehicle and are waiting on the part(s). Unsure if interior or exterior trim, but would assume exterior...

I'm sure it'll be fine, but certainly still a little bit discouraging. Looking forward to the re-delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
xswesx
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'd have no issue if it was a piece of trim getting replace and what not. But repainting a panel is a big deal imo and would impact resale value as people would assume its been in an accident.

If my paint meter shows evidence of a panel being repainted i'll be refusing delivery of the car and ordering a new one... i'm sure that will be a fun day at the dealer next week if I have to go down that route.. sigh
Appreciate 2
AlpsRider2865.00
Tornado1M1211.00
      11-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #10
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I think you guys are over reacting. Respray has no impact on trade in value as long as the color and texture matches the rest of the car. There will also be no carfax entry.
      11-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #11
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I think you guys are over reacting. Respray has no impact on trade in value as long as the color and texture matches the rest of the car. There will also be no carfax entry.
Especially not in today's dealership conglomerate world. They look up VIN, auction prices, do a quick walk around to make sure nothing is falling off, and that it starts, and it's done.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
DanG10644.50
doug_9992541.50
      11-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #12
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Damage at VPCs are actually more common then people think. The value of your car will be back to factory spec and there will be no hit on resale whatsoever. With the sheer amount of cars at the VPC, dings, dents, and even worse damage is bound to happen. I believe dealers are obliged to tell the customer only if there is extensive damage.

As you mentioned, the VPC is an extension of the factory. In your case, it doesn't seen like anything too worrisome, so I would just receive the car and enjoy! After driving this fun car for a few days, this minor incident will be in your rear view.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:25 AM   #13
airborne777
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
A data points :

I owned a brand new FJ Cruiser that i picked up with about 10 miles on the odometer from a local Toyota dealership. A year or so later when i sold it, Carmax used a paint gauge meter and showed me that the front hood had been repainted. They also showed me "orange peel". They were apologetic to me and told me that it was probably done before delivery to me because i insisted that the car was barely used and i had been the only driver (7K miles when i sold it).

I was buying a new car off the lot. Everything added up. It escaped me to check the paint at this minute level.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #14
xswesx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne777 View Post
A data points :

I owned a brand new FJ Cruiser that i picked up with about 10 miles on the odometer from a local Toyota dealership. A year or so later when i sold it, Carmax used a paint gauge meter and showed me that the front hood had been repainted. They also showed me "orange peel". They were apologetic to me and told me that it was probably done before delivery to me because i insisted that the car was barely used and i had been the only driver (7K miles when i sold it).

I was buying a new car off the lot. Everything added up. It escaped me to check the paint at this minute level.
Exactly. I've worked at a high end auto auction and almost all cars get paint metered. Diminished value is definitely a thing if the car has been repainted.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #15
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

First off, sorry to hear about the damage/painting but
It's just a car, paint happens, drive it, get another

note: my car was damaged @ delivery too, don't grind your teeth, it's not worth the aggravation, just enjoy the car MOVE ON

Off topic:
this is why I like leasing, if shit for brains side swipes you in the south end trying to parallel park it's ok, you get a nice loaner and a your car back looking good, when lease matures drop off to Bmw store showing them it was done in a authorized paint shop, no headaches no diminished value your guaranteed 60%'ish residual, get another car after

My state like (most others) only charges tax on the lease not the whole cars price, example only 40% is taxed

Not like Chicago IL for example, it's 100% taxed buy or lease

Lease number sucked so bad on the m2 last year I bought it instead
Appreciate 0