BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > F87C vs F87CS Akrapovic Slip On

07-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

F87C vs F87CS Akrapovic Slip On

Looks like they recently added the CS to their website with part number S-BM/T/26H, while the Comp uses S-BM/T/3H.

Does anyone know what the difference is? Has anyone fitted the Comp slip on to the CS?

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...94&yearId=6410
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Couldn't tell you since I have a CS. Everything installed with no issues. Even sound kit using Comp instructions was straightforward.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Couldn't tell you since I have a CS. Everything installed with no issues. Even sound kit using Comp instructions was straightforward.
You have a M2 CS with the M2 Comp S-BM/T/3H fitted to it?

I bought a used S-BM/T/3H and link pipe for my CS and just noticed they added the CS recently.

If you Google BMW M2 CS Akrapovic the old links still populate the with comp and the CS as one until you click and it shows comp only. The CS part number isn't even available, I think I saw a post about a pre order.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87drifterential View Post
You have a M2 CS with the M2 Comp S-BM/T/3H fitted to it?

I bought a used S-BM/T/3H and link pipe for my CS and just noticed they added the CS recently.

If you Google BMW M2 CS Akrapovic the old links still populate the with comp and the CS as one until you click and it shows comp only. The CS part number isn't even available, I think I saw a post about a pre order.
Yep, bought it new. It's been on for a bit now. I'm curious what is so different with the CS version compared to the Comp version. No point in trying to get the CS version when the Comp version works perfectly fine on the CS. Unless the sound is drastically different which I doubt it is...

Appreciate 1
6speed_M23632.50
      07-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #5
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

a member in the facebook group mentioned new ECE regulations and the new CS one may be quieter. As long as it fits, controllers and all, I am happy.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #6
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

I don't think there's a (major) functional difference, only that it had been ECE approved. Kind of like the European equivalent to California CARB sticker. I guess that would only apply to the European OPF cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:46 PM   #7
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Looks like they didn't update the HP gains from the Comp, Shows 407.8 in imperial for the CS, thats quite the loss in HP!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #8
MDuckie
Private
Rep
Drives: M2CS

From Turn14:

"Good afternoon. Thank you for reaching out and inquiring about Akrapovic.

I actually just had another gentleman ask me the same question yesterday. So the only difference is that the CS kit comes with a sound control kit that integrates with the factory controls and the Competition kit does not. "
Appreciate 1
Navy Davy220.00
      07-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDuckie View Post
From Turn14:

I actually just had another gentleman ask me the same question yesterday. So the only difference is that the CS kit comes with a sound control kit that integrates with the factory controls and the Competition kit does not. "
Good to know. The link pipe comes with the sound kit, but I am opting to use the CG VSC-2 controller as it doesn't require dismantling the trunk and it allows use of the homelink buttons to control the valves manually.
Appreciate 1
m2zcp50.00
      07-18-2021, 02:37 AM   #10
(K)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
From Turn14:

Curious how this works? No Bluetooth connection to the controller and fully open valves all the time on sport/sport+?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #11
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Quote:
From Turn14:

Curious how this works? No Bluetooth connection to the controller and fully open valves all the time on sport/sport+?
The link to the CS slip on says it's optional and nothing about it being included unless you buy the link pipe.

"The optional Akrapovič Sound Kit (P-HF1385) is also available. If upgrading the slip-on system with evolution link pipe, the optional Akrapovič Sound Kit P-HF1177 is not needed - specially developed Akrapovič Sound Kit is already included within the evolution link pipe set. With the use of optional Akrapovič Sound Kit, the ECE homologation is not valid anymore."

The sound kit number 1st mentioned is different than the comps, but when referring to the kit a 2nd time the part number is the comps sound kit, not the CS.

The website obviously needs an edit as it looks like a cut and paste of the comp description with a few minor changes. According to it at the moment the sound kit is not included and you lose ~35-37hp.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #12
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Installed a used slip on with link pipe from a company on my CS with no issues. I did not install the sound kit as I am going with a simpler CG VSC-2 controller. Sounds better than I could have hoped for and install was a breeze with a lift.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:15 PM   #13
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Installed a used slip on with link pipe from a company on my CS with no issues. I did not install the sound kit as I am going with a simpler CG VSC-2 controller. Sounds better than I could have hoped for and install was a breeze with a lift.
Did they not include the sound kit with the used FULL link pipe and muffler kit? Strange as the controller should have come with the link pipe.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 11:51 PM   #14
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did they not include the sound kit with the used FULL link pipe and muffler kit? Strange as the controller should have come with the link pipe.
The kit came with the pipe, but after reading a bit about the kits reliability, the lengthy install instructions and its basic functionality I decided that the CG controller was a better fit for my needs.

No lengthy install
No trunk dismantling on a brand new car
No fishing wires through the body grommets
No need to keep the remote out in the open

Just a 20 minute install & control through homelink buttons with great reliability.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 01:50 AM   #15
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The kit came with the pipe, but after reading a bit about the kits reliability, the lengthy install instructions and its basic functionality I decided that the CG controller was a better fit for my needs.

No lengthy install

Just a 20 minute install & control through homelink buttons with great reliability.
I hear ya. I didn't find instructions difficult in installing it though.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 05:51 AM   #16
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No lengthy install

I hear ya. I didn't find instructions difficult in installing it though.
They are excellent instructions and easy to follow. Doesn't look difficult at all. The turn off for me was pulling all the trunk panels and people complaining about issues with the sound kit across other brands of cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #17
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Akrapovic replied to my email inquiry:

"Both exhaust systems are the same. They will fit both cars. The only difference is the electronics. The Comp kit comes with a receiver control unit for the valves. The CS also has valves but it seems to be a more "PnP" which doesn't involve a separate controller that ties into the factory system."

I installed a used comp system on my CS last night without any extra electronics, everything was plug & play. Valves work as they should, very noticeable sound difference from comfort to sport/sport+.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #18
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
can someone answer a stupid question for me?

what's the point of the sound kit? it came with my link pipe and requires a bunch of wiring... I haven't started the install yet, and I'm not sure if I care enough to dick with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #19
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post

what's the point of the sound kit? it came with my link pipe and requires a bunch of wiring... I haven't started the install yet, and I'm not sure if I care enough to dick with it.
That's exactly how I felt! My understanding of its capability is that you can use the Bluetooth app or a wireless key fob to open and close the valves above and beyond the automatic settings for the system from the factory.

I believe that the M3 and M4 in sport/+ mode always have the valves open, where the competition and CS only have it open in sport/+ mode and when you are on the throttle.

The sound kit allows you to have the valves open even at idle for a deeper, throatier sound all the time.

The amount of work that it looks like it takes doesn't seem worth it to me when, for $200, I can buy a kit (CG VSC-2) that installs in 20 minutes and I can open and close the valves with my spare home link buttons on the mirror.

I could be wrong, there might be more to the kit than just opening and closing the valves manually, but if that's all it is it seems like a lot of install for just that one benefit.
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      07-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #20
(K)
Captain
Rep

Quote:

The sound kit just gives you the option to either keep the valves open at all times or operate on factory settings.
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      07-21-2021, 11:43 PM   #21
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

That's exactly how I felt! My understanding of its capability is that you can use the Bluetooth app or a wireless key fob to open and close the valves above and beyond the automatic settings for the system from the factory.

I believe that the M3 and M4 in sport/+ mode always have the valves open, where the competition and CS only have it open in sport/+ mode and when you are on the throttle.

The sound kit allows you to have the valves open even at idle for a deeper, throatier sound all the time.

The amount of work that it looks like it takes doesn't seem worth it to me when, for $200, I can buy a kit (CG VSC-2) that installs in 20 minutes and I can open and close the valves with my spare home link buttons on the mirror.

I could be wrong, there might be more to the kit than just opening and closing the valves manually, but if that's all it is it seems like a lot of install for just that one benefit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Quote:

The sound kit just gives you the option to either keep the valves open at all times or operate on factory settings.

sounds like fuck that. unless I get really bored.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:50 PM   #22
(K)
Captain
Rep

I haven't tested it but you can probably skip the sound kit and just use BimmerLink to open/close the valves. Personally I like the auto factory settings anyway, I don't know if I can live with full open all the time.
Appreciate 0