BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C better buy if M2 CS limited or too expensive?

11-06-2019, 11:57 PM   #45
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The real loss in the CS is the omitted Comfort Access feature. I would miss that. It was asinine decision to remove that, under the guise of 'weight savings'
ARGH. Is this confirmed? What weight is that even going to save? 5 grams?
What a crazy idea. I love the comfort access.

Unfortunately, your worst fear has been confirmed, no Comfort Access in the CS

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they would omit such as awesome feature and I'm not buying the weight reduction claim, that's just incomprehensible..

However, some folks were successfully able to retrofit it. Something I would never attempt, simple because I'm anal about ripping apart my brand new vehicle, especially a limited production vehicle as the CS, which should be on its way to achieve collectors status within a few years.

Appreciate 1
Davil6467.50
      11-07-2019, 12:12 AM   #46
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
This looks like sex though.
Yum
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:24 AM   #47
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

The M2C is a great M car!

The M2CS is a more focused version of the M2C!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:36 AM   #48
M2Competition
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, P. Sport Turismo, MGA

It is probably just me but I like having the storage at the center console and I kinda like the M2C seats with no holes so that my six year old can’t poke me from the back seat. Most other CF upgrades are easy to add to the M2 as others mentioned.

Question: Is the hp increase only from programming or is there any difference in turbo hardware?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:43 AM   #49
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Competition View Post
It is probably just me but I like having the storage at the center console and I kinda like the M2C seats with no holes so that my six year old can't poke me from the back seat. Most other CF upgrades are easy to add to the M2 as others mentioned.

Question: Is the hp increase only from programming or is there any difference in turbo hardware?
The engine drivetrain are all the same, it's all in the hierarchy of the tune, which allocate the power output.

And the lack of armrest has been discussed, ad nauseam, in the M4 section. Feel free to commiserate.

CS Owners - Is the lack of center armrest annoying? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1577449
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #50
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Paying retail plus premium. Roll it and smoke it!
      11-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #51
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Let's be honest there, a very very small percentage of people with performance oriented cars couldn't care less about lap times. The CS is supposed to be a more refined and faster version of the Comp, but all most people care about is the exclusivity. It's about looking cool at your nearest mall or local Cars and Coffee. It's a shame that the majority of CS's will spend their lives being cooped up in the garage collecting dust rather than being driven, or god forbid see any track time.

Last edited by Conissah; 11-07-2019 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
bplewis24188.50
      11-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #52
atc5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, Bolt, 98 Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
It's a shame that the majority of CS's will spend their lives being cooped up in the garage collecting dust rather than being driven, or god forbid see any track time.

My goal is to buy one and track the daylights out of it. That's what it's made for.
Appreciate 1
bplewis24188.50
      11-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #53
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc5 View Post
My goal is to buy one and track the daylights out of it. That's what it's made for.
Kudos to you my friend, you're a rare breed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #54
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Let's be honest there, a very very small percentage of people with performance oriented cars could care less about lap times. The CS is supposed to be a more refined and faster version of the Comp, but all most people care about is the exclusivity. It's about looking cool at your nearest mall or local Cars and Coffee. It's a shame that the majority of CS's will spend their lives being cooped up in the garage collecting dust rather than being driven, or god forbid see any track time.
If I am lucky to get one, not only my will it be tracked occasionally, it will also be my DD.
      11-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #55
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealOrosie View Post
The whole CS lineup confuses me. Not sure why anyone would pay 30-40k over comp prices for a car that is just not that much different. My dealer has had 4 M4CS coupes just sitting on their lot for over 3 months now. I just don't get it.

My dealer only got one and it sat forever in the showroom.
I looked it over and even being a 30 year Porsche 911 customer found its price point of (more $$ for less) performance advantage over the M4C confusing. I am use to paying up for aluminum door handles, additional leather parts, and colored gauges in Porsche 911 land but BMW marketing the CS doesn’t appeal to me and it should. I am their demographic. Saying the car has extensive weight savings only to find out the amount of weight it saved in a passenger car was negligible. Carbon fiber this and carbon fiber that add on parts does not make a car effectively lighter to gain any tangible performance. It’s a cosmetic makeover to “look” more like a hardcore track car. You want to get serious about saving weight, pull all the seats and sound insulation out and leave one the drivers seat. To take the comfort access out to save weight is laughable. Porsche is just as guilty with the carbon fiber roofs on the new Cayenne coupe being heavier as it requires more bracing.

I can take the valve stems off my M forged wheels and now I can say they are extra light weight wheels.

Last edited by MystroX5; 11-07-2019 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Tornado1M1209.00
      11-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #56
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
I have been waiting for the M2CS to be announced for some time. Thus holding out on the M2C. However, hearing only approx 500 (unconfirmed) will be coming to the US and with pricing above $90K. It really has me rethinking the M2C. Anyone else the same?
I have similar thoughts but from the opposite perspective: I purchased the M2C in early 2019 and after hearing the limited run numbers, I'm glad I didn't wait for the M2CS. Even though it has two of the things I really wanted (lighter wheels and carbon fiber roof), there's no way I would have paid the money it will command. Also, it loses my favorite color in favor of one I do not like.

I'm relieved I made the correct decision.
      11-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #57
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I like the CS, but for what you get seems too expensive. Also, all that carbon fiber appears to only net a 18 lb weight loss.
Is the net 18lb weight loss because the adaptive suspension is heavier? The first thing I thought about when I read the press release is that I've always read adaptive suspensions are heavier, and that would wipe out some of the weight loss.
      11-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #58
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
I don't think there will be a artificial price bubble like on P-Cars for M2s. So in that regard, I would say that the M2C is a better buy. However, if for some reason there is a price bubble, then it makes sense getting the M2CS and driving it minimally and selling it in 15 years.
But if you're planning on actually enjoying your new car, then I would go with the M2C, it has 90% of what the CS has and from what we can tell, should cost substantially less.
That makes no sense.

You'd be happier and probably richer if you bought the m2c and actually drove it over 15 years and put the difference in cost in a fund for 15 years, than buying an m2cs and driving it minimally over 15 years hoping to sell it for more than you paid after inflation.
Appreciate 2
      11-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #59
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I said up to 20%.

The fact is there is big discounts to be had, depending on your sales pitch. The most I was able to negotiate was 11% off, hence my $55,000 quote.

Cars sell and are discounted by the market demand; if the cars are in regular production and demand, the dealer would be more willing to discount to move them.

As far as the M2 CS, it's artificially limited to increase the value, so the prices will remain inflated, until they're discontinued.

The more a car is produced, the more you can bet it depreciates.

I saw this just a few years ago when BMW first introduced the i8, they essentially had the plan to keep it to limited numbers and make it a halo car. This would at least hold the value of the car, even if the performance was lacking. However BMW changed their minds for whatever reason and now decided to make a lot more. So people who spent $150k for one can look at a resale value of around $80k.
You can't just drop "up to" and then add whatever number you like at the end of it. You might as well say up to 100% off and with your logic you'd still be right. There are no M2C's going for anywhere near 20% off new MSRP.
That's true. I've seen them go for up to 100 percent off in a raffle.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #60
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
Is the net 18lb weight loss because the adaptive suspension is heavier? The first thing I thought about when I read the press release is that I've always read adaptive suspensions are heavier, and that would wipe out some of the weight loss.
Unfortunately, couldn't really tell you. So the roof and hood probably save the most weight, but to your point, might be offset by the suspension. Also worth noting that even though there is a lot of carbon fiber, some of it doesn't save any weight. The rear diffuser and stock diffuser weighed pretty much the same when i swapped them out. The carbon fiber spoiler actually weighed slightly MORE than the stock M2C spoiler. The front splitter is an addition, so more weight there.

I'm not entirely surprised it weights the same(ish) as the M2C. Still though, if it's within reach for people, it's still going to be a great car.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #61
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Unfortunately, couldn't really tell you. So the roof and hood probably save the most weight, but to your point, might be offset by the suspension. Also worth noting that even though there is a lot of carbon fiber, some of it doesn't save any weight. The rear diffuser and stock diffuser weighed pretty much the same when i swapped them out. The carbon fiber spoiler actually weighed slightly MORE than the stock M2C spoiler. The front splitter is an addition, so more weight there.

I'm not entirely surprised it weights the same(ish) as the M2C. Still though, if it's within reach for people, it's still going to be a great car.
I would venture to say the CF hood doesn't save any weight. The stock aluminum hood is very light (as all AL hoods are), so depending on type of resin (and the amount of resin), plus the vent, it is going to be extremely marginal. The CCB, carbon roof, and wheels are definitely the biggest weight savings.

Apparently the aluminum adaptive struts are lighter than the standard ones, but then you have to add in the electricals (and whatever else) that makes them function, so that savings is going to be offset again. The M Perf exhaust is also going to be saving a couple pounds over stock. Honestly, if they would've thrown a smaller battery in, the weight savings would look way more impressive.

Now that I think about it, how the hell does the M2 weigh anywhere near 3500 pounds...? Where is all of that weight coming from?
Appreciate 1
pz6193277.00
      11-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #62
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I don't think the hood on the M2C is aluminum, I could be wrong. The 763M wheels save quite a bit of weight compared to the 788M US issue wheels. So $3,300 minus what you can could sell the 788s for ($1500?) would get you close to the same weight right there. Add the CF hood for fun and a tune and you're off to the races.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 11-07-2019 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #63
mothertongue
Rep
Drives: m2 competition

There's really few things about the CS that make it a compelling purchase when you could save that $$ on a M2C tune and raiding some carbon parts to get it 95% there (and I prefer IND mods anyway to the m performance). At that price point I'd be more in the market for a Cayman 718 GT4 tbh
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #64
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I don't think the hood on the M2C is aluminum, I could be wrong. The 763M wheels save quite a bit of weight compared to the 788M US issue wheels. So $3,300 minus what you can could sell the 788s for ($1500?) would get you close to the same weight right there. Add the CF hood for fun and a tune and you're off to the races.
It's not aluminum. I have a magnetic decal for track days that sticks on the hood very well. Not the case for the MX-5 Cup car which has the OEM aluminum hood. Bean counters at Mazda are doing a better job.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #65
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I'll take the CF roof and Cup 2s on my M2c and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #66
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothertongue View Post
There's really few things about the CS that make it a compelling purchase when you could save that $$ on a M2C tune and raiding some carbon parts to get it 95% there (and I prefer IND mods anyway to the m performance). At that price point I'd be more in the market for a Cayman 718 GT4 tbh
I definitely hear where you're coming from. But let's just say it's $85K all in (w/o CCB). That is still quite substantially less than a GT4. A GT4 with all the features of the M2CS comes in between $110-$115K (keep in mind I added the sport bucket seats).

So basically it's a $20-25K delta between the M2 to M2CS and then same for M2CS to GT4.