BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Is this normal?

11-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #23
Triple Seven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i, 2020 M2C (sold)

Tiny update. Dealer was kind enough to let me take another M2C for a drive. It had less than 300 miles.

What I found was that I could replicate the "clunk" coming to a slow stop (which happens as it auto shifts from 2 to 1). A bit less pronounced than mine but same effect (sound and feel). What I couldn't replicate was when driving and quickly removing/putting on load in 4 or 5th gear speeds. It was pretty tight feeling compared to my occasional clunks. Maybe with more seat time it would be similar.

One interesting thing to me is my car just felt better, my throttle response was better. Despite a bit more clunk I was happy I had mine and not the other one. Hard to explain.

So... As others have stated I'm chalking it up as normal (to a certain extent). And feeling alot better about it. I had to see for myself. Of course each car wont be exact in it's operation, with a possible variation in tolerances, I assume that's safe to suggest.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #24
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
I'm hearing/feeling similar things, still under 200 miles. I drove in an hour of traffic and felt all kinds of weird things I'll just attribute to a DCT since I've never driven one before and people here saying things are normal.

Weirdest one was the car did that slight jerky/almost dying out judder while doing ~20 mph in traffic. I'm assuming I let off immediately after an upshift.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #25
Triple Seven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i, 2020 M2C (sold)

I've finally given my car a name: Silver the clunky butt
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #26
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I thought that clunk was shit I had rolling around in the trunk.... gonna clean it out and listen in.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #27
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Seven View Post
Dealer said to bring it in for an assessment. Will go for a drive with a technician.
Bumping this thread as I am now experiencing a clunk, appears to be from the diff when I downshift and load up the drive train.

Any new info on your experience? 2021 M2C 6spd manual
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:32 AM   #28
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 430d

Quote:
I completely believe you guys saying it's normal. Not everyone has it though, which is why it's confusing. If that's understandable. It's normal to have it and it's normal not to have it.
I have just picked up a 2017 OG M2 and I noticed in the manual that it does say something along the lines of that due to the performance nature of the drivetrain some clunking/ clicking noises are normal
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:39 AM   #29
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshd63 View Post
Quote:
I completely believe you guys saying it's normal. Not everyone has it though, which is why it's confusing. If that's understandable. It's normal to have it and it's normal not to have it.
I have just picked up a 2017 OG M2 and I noticed in the manual that it does say something along the lines of that due to the performance nature of the drivetrain some clunking/ clicking noises are normal
Do you have it in yours? My manual says clicking, however this is more of a clunk; like the drivetrain has slack in it. I noticed it when I drove around for a while in sport plus. Got my car 2021 6sp. Last week. Never noticed it before today, but I was mostly driving in economy
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #30
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have it in yours? My manual says clicking, however this is more of a clunk; like the drivetrain has slack in it. I noticed it when I drove around for a while in sport plus. Got my car 2021 6sp. Last week. Never noticed it before today, but I was mostly driving in economy
Yeah I've got it and it always does it when I'm in drive or just in gear and the start/stop stops the engine. It clunks then every time. I've just put it down to it being quite a highly strung drivetrain.

If I remember correctly my polo dsg used to do it too so maybe it's a dual clutch thing? Is yours DCT also?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #31
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I've got it and it always does it when I'm in drive or just in gear and the start/stop stops the engine. It clunks then every time. I've just put it down to it being quite a highly strung drivetrain.

If I remember correctly my polo dsg used to do it too so maybe it's a dual clutch thing? Is yours DCT also?
Mine is a 6spd manual
Appreciate 0