BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dinan S55 (F87 M2C) Flash Pre-Release / Haus Party

10-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #67
CountSmurfula
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2C

Me too! The tune with heat exchanger and exhaust combo is my current fantasy combination.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #68
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
All of our testing has shown that without the heat exchanger the motor derates itself when pushed beyond around 40-50 WHP/TRQ so while you may get a glory run on cold start (or if you are in a cold environment) any consistent load will make advertised numbers unattainable without the upgraded cooler.
Have you tested in places besides Alabama?

I feel an intercooler is a decision best left to the consumer. If I notice heat soak, then I can upgrade the intercooler. I am from Texas, currently live in New England. I am skeptical that I will benefit, especially since I don't track my car. "One glory run" pretty much describes my driving.

Dinan has sold tunes with a warranty and without an intercooler in the past. I can understand not providing a warranty with new e85 and 100 Octane offerings. I can't understand why I can't have a 93 tune without an intercooler and with a warranty.

As a consumer these changes in policy make me feel like the products of old offered more value than your current products. That's not good for your brand.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 10-22-2019 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:22 PM   #69
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post

I feel an intercooler is a decision best left to the consumer. If I notice heat soak, then I can upgrade the intercooler. I am from Texas, currently live in New England. I am skeptical that I will benefit, especially since I don't track my car. "One glory run" pretty much describes my driving.

Dinan has sold tunes with a warranty and without an intercooler in the past. I can understand not providing a warranty with new e85 and 100 Octane offerings. I can't understand why I can't have a 93 tune without an intercooler and with a warranty.

As a consumer these changes in policy make me feel like the products of old offered more value than your current products. That's not good for your brand.
Yes, there are test cars around the country in various environmental conditions. A multi-gear pull in all environments has the same derating issue when the car is pushed beyond a certain power threshold.

That said, there is still an option for a warrantied tune without the heat exchanger (Dinan +). It simply does not push the car past that limit of derating however. For those that want to get more, without the clear limiting factor of charge cooling, can have it with a slightly higher state of tune that is warranted with the heat exchanger (Dinan +HE). There are 2 warranted options. If you elect the one that does not require any hard parts and at a later date you want to upgrade to the HE variant for more power you can do so and there would be no charge from Dinan either.

Keep in mind the warranted tune that does not require hard parts is practically identical in power gains to the stage 1 DINANTRONICS for the S55 so the "value" of its predecessor is the same. One could argue quite effectively the value of the flash is superior since it controls more variables for a more robust tune, eliminates the governor, and has the possibility of adjusting to multiple octanes should one choose to do so as well (albeit sacrificing the factory matching warranty coverage in the process).

We also still have the DINANTRONICS variant of tuning in the fold if one wishes to go that route as well. If anything, Dinan is providing a much more robust catalog of choices then it has in the past since the brand has never offered a non-warranted option or offered multiple octane choices, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #70
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post

Yes, there are test cars around the country in various environmental conditions. A multi-gear pull in all environments has the same derating issue when the car is pushed beyond a certain power threshold.

That said, there is still an option for a warrantied tune without the heat exchanger (Dinan +). It simply does not push the car past that limit of derating however. For those that want to get more, without the clear limiting factor of charge cooling, can have it with a slightly higher state of tune that is warranted with the heat exchanger (Dinan +HE). There are 2 warranted options. If you elect the one that does not require any hard parts and at a later date you want to upgrade to the HE variant for more power you can do so and there would be no charge from Dinan either.

Keep in mind the warranted tune that does not require hard parts is practically identical in power gains to the stage 1 DINANTRONICS for the S55 so the "value" of its predecessor is the same. One could argue quite effectively the value of the flash is superior since it controls more variables for a more robust tune, eliminates the governor, and has the possibility of adjusting to multiple octanes should one choose to do so as well (albeit sacrificing the factory matching warranty coverage in the process).

We also still have the DINANTRONICS variant of tuning in the fold if one wishes to go that route as well. If anything, Dinan is providing a much more robust catalog of choices then it has in the past since the brand has never offered a non-warranted option or offered multiple octane choices, etc.
When is the official release?
      10-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #71
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Does the Dinan Stage 1 tune eliminate the overrun pops and burbles created by the factory tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:10 PM   #72
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
Does the Dinan Stage 1 tune eliminate the overrun pops and burbles created by the factory tune?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
When is the official release?
November 12th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
No.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      10-31-2019, 08:20 PM   #73
MyM2See
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Was pretty pumped about this until I realized the +HE tune is $1800 lol

rip
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #74
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM2See View Post
Was pretty pumped about this until I realized the +HE tune is $1800 lol

rip
For the factory matching warranty version that is correct. The "non-warranty" version is significantly less however.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      10-31-2019, 09:25 PM   #75
SinisterC6
Sorry, I'm new
Rep
Drives: 07 C6 TT, 21 C8, 21 Dmax 3500

Intrested.

How does this tune feel on the top end, I feel like power cuts off on the OEM tune above 5500rpm

How will the warranty work, say if a crank pulley slips
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #76
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterC6 View Post
Intrested.

How does this tune feel on the top end, I feel like power cuts off on the OEM tune above 5500rpm

How will the warranty work, say if a crank pulley slips
The power graphs in the first post will give you an idea of what to expect as far as where power comes in and where it drops. It basically mirrors the stock curve so at 5500 RPM you will start to see some drop. The difference however is you have significantly more power accumulated at that point with the tune and the degradation is about the same ratio as stock so it will feel much meatier.

Warranty is the same as it has always been. We match the factory new car warranty 4yr/50k so if BMW denies a claim due to a Dinan part we would step in and cover the claim assuming the appropriate tune is in place (warranted variant) and being run under appropriate conditions (+HE is run with a HE actually installed). Just like BMW we would not cover what would be considered negligence, such as a money shift that may cause a crank hub failure, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #77
mobile23
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
The power graphs in the first post will give you an idea of what to expect as far as where power comes in and where it drops. It basically mirrors the stock curve so at 5500 RPM you will start to see some drop. The difference however is you have significantly more power accumulated at that point with the tune and the degradation is about the same ratio as stock so it will feel much meatier.

Warranty is the same as it has always been. We match the factory new car warranty 4yr/50k so if BMW denies a claim due to a Dinan part we would step in and cover the claim assuming the appropriate tune is in place (warranted variant) and being run under appropriate conditions (+HE is run with a HE actually installed). Just like BMW we would not cover what would be considered negligence, such as a money shift that may cause a crank hub failure, etc.
What if one has factory warranty extended? For ex, if the car is 2 years old when installing the Dinan tune, and the car got an extra 3 years warranty from BMW (7 years total), does one get 2 or 4 years with Dinan warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #78
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile23 View Post
Quote:

What if one has factory warranty extended? For ex, if the car is 2 years old when installing the Dinan tune, and the car got an extra 3 years warranty from BMW (7 years total), does one get 2 or 4 years with Dinan warranty?
https://www.dinancars.com/warranty/
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #79
mobile23
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Thanks!! After reading all those with my bad English, I feel less interest in their products
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #80
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Dinan does not match CPO or extended warranties. Just the factory new car warranty. Extended and CPO warranties are treated completely different in the legal system and don't have the protections (for both the end consumer and us) the new car warranty does.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #81
mobile23
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dinan does not match CPO or extended warranties. Just the factory new car warranty. Extended and CPO warranties are treated completely different in the legal system and don't have the protections (for both the end consumer and us) the new car warranty does.
Thanks for confirming. Then there's almost no point for getting the Dinan warranty if the car had been driven more than a year
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #82
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for confirming. Then there's almost no point for getting the Dinan warranty if the car had been driven more than a year
Quote:
If you drive 20k miles a year I can see the value greatly diminished but if you drive the car 6-10k miles a year then I think the value is still retained. There's always the non-warranty version as well if the cost is deemed to high for the peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:47 PM   #83
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

might have missed this question but is removing the DME and sending it to Dinan included in the price if done at an authorized dealer or can we drive to Dinan and have it done there included with the price of the tune?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #84
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRoman View Post
might have missed this question but is removing the DME and sending it to Dinan included in the price if done at an authorized dealer or can we drive to Dinan and have it done there included with the price of the tune?
I'm hoping the authorized dealers can tap into the ECU directly...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #85
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

I hope so. One of their premier authorized dealers is an actual BMW dealer about an hour away from me that I wouldn't mind going to if they would tap into the DME and install the Warrantied tune at the listed price or maybe even drive up to Alabama if Dinan would unlock the DME and install the tune for the listed price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #86
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRoman View Post
I hope so. One of their premier authorized dealers is an actual BMW dealer about an hour away from me that I wouldn't mind going to if they would tap into the DME and install the Warrantied tune at the listed price or maybe even drive up to Alabama if Dinan would unlock the DME and install the tune for the listed price
If the DME needs to be unlocked/backdated the ECU would need to be sent in to Dinan to have that process done. There is currently no tools in the field for that to be accomplished at each individual dealer. Being worked on, but I don't see that being available in the near term.

As far as shipping charges go -- if you are upgrading from a DINANTRONICS unit then shipping would be covered by Dinan. On a new install however, the shipping charges would be the responsibility of the dealer/customer.

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 11-04-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #87
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

The gains per the Flash Guide show max gains of 80whp and 80wtq with the Dinan+He. The dyno graphs do not represent this...am I missing something?

I am very interested in the Dinan+HE which I will run with 93 octane fuel and want to confirm what type of gains I will see.
      11-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #88
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
The gains per the Flash Guide show max gains of 80whp and 80wtq with the Dinan+He. The dyno graphs do not represent this...am I missing something?

I am very interested in the Dinan+HE which I will run with 93 octane fuel and want to confirm what type of gains I will see.
The chart in the original post for the Dinan +HE tune shows max gains of 80 HP @ 5500 RPM and 88 lb-ft of torque @ 4500 RPM for the S55 M2C. What are you seeing?
Appreciate 0