BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > M2C Front Number Plate Mounting

08-20-2018, 05:05 AM   #1
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

M2C Front Number Plate Mounting

Since the M2C front bar has a thinner and angled front edge anyone got any creative ideas for fitting the front plate. I suspect BMW will supply a plastic mounting frame screwed into the front bar however the width will be suited to European plates im guessing.

Last edited by MR RIZK; 08-20-2018 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 03:30 AM   #2
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Since the M2C front bar has a thinner and angled front edge anyone got any creative ideas for fitting the front plate. I suspect BMW will supply a plastic mounting frame screwed into the front bar however the width will be suited to European plates im guessing.
I'm going to be mounting mine with double sided 3M adhesive tape... No drilling for me. Super easy to remove with some fishing line when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 04:25 AM   #3
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Yeah leaning that way also with one of the 3M VHB products
      09-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Thanks god for the small swiss license plates
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Thanks god for the small swiss license plates
They are different sizes in different states down here.
NSW is 84mm height for the front slimline style which is pretty decent. Only 4mm taller than Swiss front plate.
I think other states are a bit bigger from memory.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
They are different sizes in different states down here.
NSW is 84mm height for the front slimline style which is pretty decent. Only 4mm taller than Swiss front plate.
I think other states are a bit bigger from memory.
Unfortunately my VIC slim plates are 372mm x 100mm. Which still isn't that bad TBH.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

This is what I use: https://carbonio.com/collections/lic...se-plate-mount
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 04:16 AM   #8
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Any chance it could have been mounted higher? Seems like it might be blocking the intercooler a bit. I'm just a bit ocd
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #9
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawn View Post
Any chance it could have been mounted higher? Seems like it might be blocking the intercooler a bit. I'm just a bit ocd
On the competition it's an air-to-water intercooler under the hood anyways.

Either way would not affect the cooling. Part of me was actually going to attach the plate to the lower honeycomb area, but I think it will actually fit well on the middle part having had a look at this person's photos.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx View Post
On the competition it's an air-to-water intercooler under the hood anyways.

Either way would not affect the cooling. Part of me was actually going to attach the plate to the lower honeycomb area, but I think it will actually fit well on the middle part having had a look at this person's photos.

View post on imgur.com
Ah thankyou. Good to know. So what is actually behind the honeycomb area??
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawn View Post
Ah thankyou. Good to know. So what is actually behind the honeycomb area??

Really good video but it's about the M4 cooling and components. Ours shares many components though.
Appreciate 2
yawn55.50
      03-30-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
Muncher
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C, Mustang GT, BMW X1 F48

I am going to use a Lakin plate mount that I"ll farm off the Mustang GT I am selling. These are beautifully made black panted aluminum sheet bracket for slimline plates. Plates mount to the plate bracket with small torx grub scews in each corner of number plate. I'll mount the Lakin backing plate to the dimpled mount holes on the car. I am ok with a couple of small holes in the proper place. If Phil Lakin was still in business I'd have just bought a pair custom made for M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 10:09 PM   #13
APH
Australia
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncher View Post
I am going to use a Lakin plate mount that I"ll farm off the Mustang GT I am selling. These are beautifully made black panted aluminum sheet bracket for slimline plates. Plates mount to the plate bracket with small torx grub scews in each corner of number plate. I'll mount the Lakin backing plate to the dimpled mount holes on the car. I am ok with a couple of small holes in the proper place. If Phil Lakin was still in business I'd have just bought a pair custom made for M2.
Hi Muncher - Do you know if the mustang Lakin brackets will fit the dimpled hole mounts on the M2? I'm also coming from a mustang, and have the Lakin brackets. If I can reuse them on the M2 that would be amazing as they look fantastic. If not, I was just going to sell the brackets separately.
      04-01-2019, 04:21 AM   #14
Muncher
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Hi APH
You like me have worked out the Mustang's not a keeper despite having some great things going for it?

Lakin plates - I am not sure that the M2C has any dimples in fr bumper after looking at a couple of videos.

But, chane was, after I wrote the post to check if his site is still up and there is a notice that Phil of Lakin is going to resume business, albiet on a very restricted basis. Contacted him and he said he'd look to see if Launceston BMW have one so he can design a solution. Failing that I'll measure to his instructions. After that I think it may still be a bit of a wait he has warned me.

That's the best advice I can give at the moment.

Originally wrt using the Mustang plate holders, the plan was that if the M2 has no dimples I would simply mount it using the Lakin Mustang holes. Rear plate, the plan was to match to BMW holes and redrill the Lakin.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #15
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

I went with strong double sided tape and has been great so far
      04-02-2019, 02:39 AM   #16
APH
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Indeed Muncher. I've enjoyed the Mustang but time to move it on. Grown up desiring E36 and E46 M3s. The M2C seems like the best modern equivalent so can't wait to have a more driver focused machine.

That great news re Phillip. His work is second to none. I last checked a few months back and he was still closed up so it's fantastic to hear that his health is allowing him to resume operations (even if only in a limited capacity).

I'll drop him a note and also request a set for the M2C. When are you expecting delivery? I'm also happy to provide him measurements once I've taken delivery but I'm not expecting delivery until during May.

Quote:
Hi APH
You like me have worked out the Mustang's not a keeper despite having some great things going for it?

Lakin plates - I am not sure that the M2C has any dimples in fr bumper after looking at a couple of videos.

But, chane was, after I wrote the post to check if his site is still up and there is a notice that Phil of Lakin is going to resume business, albiet on a very restricted basis. Contacted him and he said he'd look to see if Launceston BMW have one so he can design a solution. Failing that I'll measure to his instructions. After that I think it may still be a bit of a wait he has warned me.

Cheers
      04-02-2019, 04:38 AM   #17
Muncher
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Hi APH
I receive my M/T around Easter. I think mine's on the Tiger vessel.
I may need to go into the showroom to do measurements as per Phil's advice. I'll keep you posted.
Congrats on yr. M2C.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 03:35 AM   #18
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
I see me in that pic Enjoyable drive that day.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:16 AM   #19
Muncher
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Lakin Plate for M2C

I said earlier I had a Lakin plate mount set on order - here it is. Usual high quality from Phil at Lakin. The rear plate mount is the same as the M2 so I don't feature that here. The front one, I did some measurements for Phil so he could fabricate a new mount for the different Comp front bumper.
Here is what we have. Note the gentle curve (see plan view) that is put into the plate bracket to fit the cure of the bumper.
You'll see the back of the plate mount features a rubber angle truss that sticks with 3m double sided tape to the bumper underside to give it rigidity.
Easy to fit - just find the middle, measure, measure, measure and drill two small holes for mounting the upper half of the plate mount to the bumper vertical face and WALA.
The little trusses are such that they result in a level alignment on the bumper and positions the plate bracket at about 10mm below the top of the bumper.
You will note in the corners there are the little nuts inserted in the aluminium. To mount the plate he provides the small allen key fastened grub screws. A really neat sleek fitting.
Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
APH45.00
      05-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #20
APH
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the update and pictures Muncher. Looks great! I had an issue with the ordering of my car so I’m now not taking delivery until August... Have spoken to Phil about getting a set made up too though!

Quote:
I said earlier I had a Lakin plate mount set on order - here it is. Usual high quality from Phil at Lakin. The rear plate mount is the same as the M2 so I don't feature that here. The front one, I did some measurements for Phil so he could fabricate a new mount for the different Comp front bumper.
Here is what we have. Note the gentle curve (see plan view) that is put into the plate bracket to fit the cure of the bumper.
You'll see the back of the plate mount features a rubber angle truss that sticks with 3m double sided tape to the bumper underside to give it rigidity.
Easy to fit - just find the middle, measure, measure, measure and drill two small holes for mounting the upper half of the plate mount to the bumper vertical face and WALA.
The little trusses are such that they result in a level alignment on the bumper and positions the plate bracket at about 10mm below the top of the bumper.
You will note in the corners there are the little nuts inserted in the aluminium. To mount the plate he provides the small allen key fastened grub screws. A really neat sleek fitting.
Cheers
      05-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #21
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I’ve ordered my set. I spoke with Phil last night, lovely man.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 05:53 AM   #22
fastcars
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I've had Phil make mounting brackets for both my 1M and my soon to arrive M2C.
Appreciate 0