BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS workaround? Is it really required?

07-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

TPMS workaround? Is it really required?

I have a set of wheels and tires off 2015 M3 where TPMS was not required. Can I run these on the M2 without the sensors? Is there a way to code out errors? Appreciate any help.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I think you need to buy the sensors. I wouldn’t drive without them since they warn you about a flat or low tire pressure. With these low profile tires it is extremely hard to tell by sight if a tire is low.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I think you need to buy the sensors. I wouldn’t drive without them since they warn you about a flat or low tire pressure. With these low profile tires it is extremely hard to tell by sight if a tire is low.
Thanks Dan. Other than the safety aspects is there other issues other than the car yelling at you? I plan on having the sensors installed after the tires need changing but what a pain to unmount and then remount the tires just to get the sensors in.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Thanks Dan. Other than the safety aspects is there other issues other than the car yelling at you? I plan on having the sensors installed after the tires need changing but what a pain to unmount and then remount the tires just to get the sensors in.
I think it is a small price for the added safety. I would install them if it were my wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I don’t run sensors in my track wheels. Sometimes I leave the track wheels on for a couple days after an event until I get a chance to swap them out.

The error messages are pretty annoying for about 30 seconds each time you start the car, on both the nav screen and the instrument cluster, and you have to dismiss them on both displays, but then you just get a steady warning light.

Personally, I’d at least get them installed next time you change tires, but I’m guessing the warnings will motivate you to do it sooner.

I’m guessing you could code the error messages out, but I’ll agree with Dan that the safety benefit for street driving is worth the cost of adding sensors.

All that said, if these are track wheels, and you have an LCI or Comp, I’d leave the sensors out so you can air down the tires enough when cold to get good hot pressures on track, without limiting your ability to use Sport, Sport+, MDM, or DSC Off. Low pressure locks you out of these modes.

I think I read pre-LCI cars also locked you down if the system didn’t see the sensors, but I could be mistaken.
Appreciate 1
DanG10444.00
      07-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
I don’t run sensors in my track wheels. Sometimes I leave the track wheels on for a couple days after an event until I get a chance to swap them out.

The error messages are pretty annoying for about 30 seconds each time you start the car, on both the nav screen and the instrument cluster, and you have to dismiss them on both displays, but then you just get a steady warning light.

Personally, I’d at least get them installed next time you change tires, but I’m guessing the warnings will motivate you to do it sooner.

I’m guessing you could code the error messages out, but I’ll agree with Dan that the safety benefit for street driving is worth the cost of adding sensors.

All that said, if these are track wheels, and you have an LCI or Comp, I’d leave the sensors out so you can air down the tires enough when cold to get good hot pressures on track, without limiting your ability to use Sport, Sport+, MDM, or DSC Off. Low pressure locks you out of these modes.

I think I read pre-LCI cars also locked you down if the system didn’t see the sensors, but I could be mistaken.
Great point, these are HPDE wheels/tires. Never thought about the TPMS and pressure setting the tires for events. Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
mcgarnigle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C

Can post LCI cars (and M2C's) run without sensors and allow full DSC disabled and sport+?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #8
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarnigle View Post
Can post LCI cars (and M2C's) run without sensors and allow full DSC disabled and sport+?
My experience is that you can. 2018 LCI. Full disclosure; I’ve only confirmed full dsc off on the street. I’m still getting used to the square wheels/tires and haven’t tried on track. I run Sport or MDM without sensors normally. Have tried Sport+ on track without sensors as well, but don’t like the throttle calibration.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #9
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
You could buy the sensors now and spend $10 and 30 minutes to build one of those PVC “pipe bombs” (google it...carefully) as an interim measure until it’s convenient to unmount the tyres and install properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
toy4speed
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

Following this thread, interested in removing tpms sensors for track as well. Have heard, yet to confirm, that with no tpms and DSC disabled, car goes to comfort mode only. Would be fine for me, don't need sport or sport+, but DSC off is essential.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4speed View Post
Following this thread, interested in removing tpms sensors for track as well. Have heard, yet to confirm, that with no tpms and DSC disabled, car goes to comfort mode only. Would be fine for me, don't need sport or sport+, but DSC off is essential.
Agreed. In the same boat, as I currently run a separate set of track wheels and only drive in DSC off. Trying to adjust temps throughout the day to get to the correct hot temps without getting a TPMS limp mode has been a nightmarish hassle. At this point, I'd rather take out the TPMS and live with a constant dash light if I don't get blocked from running full DSC off. 2017 M2.

Can anyone verify on OG M2?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:14 PM   #12
toy4speed
Private
Rep

At least for a 1 minute autocross I can initiate the TPMS reset function just prior to my laps, and this allows me to have DSC off, and complete my run without fear of the TPMS warning mode coming on. Not sure if this reset function would continue to prevent a TPMS warning mode for say, a 15 minute track session.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #13
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Agreed. In the same boat, as I currently run a separate set of track wheels and only drive in DSC off. Trying to adjust temps throughout the day to get to the correct hot temps without getting a TPMS limp mode has been a nightmarish hassle. At this point, I'd rather take out the TPMS and live with a constant dash light if I don't get blocked from running full DSC off. 2017 M2.

Can anyone verify on OG M2?
I removed my sensors after my first track day in my 17 M2.....could not start at correct pressure and had to keep trying to fool the system. I had some coding done so I can drive street or track with square or staggered wheels in ANY mode with no problem. Even with the TPMS disabled the system will still warn you if one tire is significantly lower than the others...thus is the euro flat warning system that was not coded out. This set up has worked flawlessly for almost 3 years and 50+ track days.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      08-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #14
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Just a quick note that with my front AP BBK and front/rear Porsche brake air deflectors with backing plate mods, brake and wheel/tire temps stay low enough that PSI’s no longer increase 10+ during a session.

So, I’m able to start with 27-28psi, reset the TPMS if needed, and watch tire temps/pressures while on track.

Seeing what these values are on idrive before your cool down lap is much more accurate for tire pressure adjustments, vs measuring & making the change by the time you get to the paddock.

By then, temps/pressures are impacted by your last lap and heat soak from the brakes into the tires while you’re taking measurements.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #15
toy4speed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4speed View Post
At least for a 1 minute autocross I can initiate the TPMS reset function just prior to my laps, and this allows me to have DSC off, and complete my run without fear of the TPMS warning mode coming on. Not sure if this reset function would continue to prevent a TPMS warning mode for say, a 15 minute track session.
Just a follow up after running an autocross event with a 70+ second course, the TPMS warning came up every lap, usually about 3/4 of way through the course. Seems the car was down on power, and DSC definitely reverted to on position and I believe Comfort mode. At least the car didn't just totally stop on course! Just had to complete the last couple slaloms and sweeper in a slower, civilized manner. No fun.

For next season, I will try to live with the warning lights and run my dedicated set of autocross wheels/tires without the sensors. I have a '18 LCi so will be interesting to see if the comfort/sport/sport+ modes are available. I understand that at the very least I can have DSC totally off, that is essential.
Appreciate 0