BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clicking sound elevation change

05-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Clicking sound elevation change

I have eibach springs and spacers on my car for almost 2 years now. I've been having this minor clicking sound during elevation changes and more noticble in parking lots where you have to go up/down while turning. Also I notice a click everyday when I pull out of my garage and down a slight slope. It's been going on for almost a year but the car drives fine.

The dealership wasn't able to help me as they said I would need to bring my car back to stock suspension in order for them to look deep into it. I'm thinking of bring my car to a shop but not sure exactly what this clicking sound is.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Have a good look at the endlinks first, then the bearing in the strut mount. What we have seen on a lowered vehicle the endlinks can reach their articulation limit at full lock with the suspension at full compression or droop.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      10-10-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Have a good look at the endlinks first, then the bearing in the strut mount. What we have seen on a lowered vehicle the endlinks can reach their articulation limit at full lock with the suspension at full compression or droop.
Finally decided to have someone take a look since I'm due for an alignment. Endlinks were inspected and seemed fine. He also took a look at everything else and everything seemed fine from the outside. He hasn't got the chance to take apart the strut but said most likely there is nothing wrong and at the end he concludes most likely could be a bearing issue. He wanted me to have another tech look at it who has more experience to try and figure out the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

So I took it to another shop and was also told it could be a bearing issue again and suggested to take to BMW and tell them a shop has verified the suspension parts are fine. At first BMW told me to take my suspension back to stock before they can investigate any further. This time I'm gonna hope they can really help me out without going back to stock.

Also while the car was being diagnosed the mechanic heard some clunk noise sounding from the diff...another problem I need to worry about. Will have BMW take a look. I hate car problems...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

There’s a tech service bulletin for clicking noise from front hub. Involves cleaning the brake rotor hub mounting face and the hub. Mine is making noise on inclines and when turning at low speed and will have to get it done.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      10-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Steveng01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 120i

I have the same clicking noise when going down slope but my suspension system is stock. Besides noise, nothing feels wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 04:55 AM   #7
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Just want to clarify it's usually a single click noise or double. Not a constant clicking sound as that is another issue not related to my case.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Got my car back from BMW and they weren't able to help me due modified suspension but the shop forman recommended me to take off the spacers to see if there is still sound. If so then possibly switch out the aftermarket lugnuts back to stock and try adding friction disk.
Appreciate 0