BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Unpopular opinion: I prefer A/S 3+ to PSS

10-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB f87 M2

Unpopular opinion: I prefer A/S 3+ to PSS

Just had my A/S 3+'s put back on the car. Story in a nutshell: the dealer put a brand-new set of PSS on my car when I bought it, and I asked them to bag the A/S 3+'s and throw them in the car so I could put them back on when the weather got cold. My test drives were on the A/S's, and I remembered a violence to the shifts (DCT) that I haven't noticed since.

Well, since the A/S's went back on (I put about 9,000 miles on the PSS's), it's like I have a new car. Tons more grip in all situations (it's not really cold yet, mid-30's in the morning, but warming back up to the low 80's in the afternoon), and much more confidence inspiring for daily driving. Don't get me wrong, the PSS's are amazing when they're properly warmed up, but when do I ever have the chance to do that before commuting to and from work, or running a quick errand?

Add that to the fact that the A/S's seem to be a tiny bit softer over bumps and quieter with no discernible ill effects on my daily driving experience, and I think I'll be sticking with these tires year round. I know, I'm not getting the last nth percent of performance, etc., but on the street, I think that the pros far outweigh the cons for me. The increased treadwear won't hurt either. Just my $.02.
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

It gets down to the 30s in Tennessee? Or are we talking Centigrade?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

I'm thinking about doing this. Not going to be driving the M2 in blizzards but want to be able to feel comfortable still driving on dry cold days here in Chicagoland.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
It gets down to the 30s in Tennessee? Or are we talking Centigrade?
Yep! We get decently cold winters. Decent amount of ice from freezing rain, but snow is rare, hence being able to get by with all-seasons instead of dedicated winters.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by particulardude View Post
I'm thinking about doing this. Not going to be driving the M2 in blizzards but want to be able to feel comfortable still driving on dry cold days here in Chicagoland.
They're great in the winter as long as there isn't snow on the ground. I ran them the last 2 winters, first on a Fiesta ST, then on an M235. Just have to be gentle with the right foot.. smooth on, smooth off. If there is a light amount of snow (1 inch or less), they'll do fine, just allow extra stopping distance and starting time
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 10:51 PM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

MPSS are summer tires and shouldn't be driven at or near freezing temps.
Appreciate 0