BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MP coilover installation pics -before/after

10-25-2019, 01:25 AM   #45
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
I mean you have two recommended setups one for track and one for street. I'm wondering how easy would it be to adjust rebound ...etc between the two setups. I enjoyed the car on track so much last time I was thinking of putting the Coil overs on my wishlist. In addition thinking of getting brake pads, fluid and lines. So was wondering how long it would take and how easy is it to swap pads and adjust coil overs for track then back to street
I timed myself how long it took to configure the car before my last track day. This was in my garage at home with a jack and tools within easy reach so no additional prep time. I use the same wheels on street and track but if you need to swap, it doesn't add any time since the wheels are coming off and back on anyway for the brake pad change.

From start to finish was 55 minutes. I did the following:

1. Swap front pads.
2. Reset bump and rebound on front shocks.
3. Reset front camber plates to -3.0.
4. Swap rear pads.
5. Reset bump and camber on rear shocks.
6. Checked torque on all wheel lugs.
7. Checked and reset all tyre pressures.
8. Checked brake fluid level after the pad change.

After that I drove to the servo and filled her up. A couple of moderate stops on the way home just to make sure the brakes were bedded and the pedal felt right and by the time I got home the engine was warm enough for an oil level check. The last paragraph added another 20 minutes but that could also be done on the way to the track in the morning if you prefer.

In summary - about an hour is the answer to your question. Maybe 45 minutes if you are quick and 30 if you have a helper. It's not much.
Appreciate 1
m7ammed210.00
      10-26-2019, 06:31 AM   #46
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
I mean you have two recommended setups one for track and one for street. I'm wondering how easy would it be to adjust rebound ...etc between the two setups. I enjoyed the car on track so much last time I was thinking of putting the Coil overs on my wishlist. In addition thinking of getting brake pads, fluid and lines. So was wondering how long it would take and how easy is it to swap pads and adjust coil overs for track then back to street
I timed myself how long it took to configure the car before my last track day. This was in my garage at home with a jack and tools within easy reach so no additional prep time. I use the same wheels on street and track but if you need to swap, it doesn't add any time since the wheels are coming off and back on anyway for the brake pad change.

1. Swap front pads.
4. Swap rear pads.

After that I drove to the servo and filled her up. A couple of moderate stops on the way home just to make sure the brakes were bedded and the pedal felt right and by the time I got home the engine was warm enough for an oil level check. The last paragraph added another 20 minutes but that could also be done on the way to the track in the morning if you prefer.

In summary - about an hour is the answer to your question. Maybe 45 minutes if you are quick and 30 if you have a helper. It's not much.
When adjusting the camber plates (step #3), is the toe unaffected?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:58 AM   #47
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
When adjusting the camber plates (step #3), is the toe unaffected?
That is an excellent question. The answer is most likely yes, it is affected since the car naturally has some castor angle built into the MacPherson struts.

If you can imagine the struts were vertical (no castor) then adding camber would have zero affect on toe. However, with castor present, moving the upper shock mounts inboard (via camber plates) will have some minor effect to increase toe out.

I can either work this out via doing the trigonometry/math or perhaps easier, taking a before and after toe measurement since I have the equipment to do this. Project for tomorrow...

Since I normally run 1mm toe in on the street, if this changes to zero, it will be a happy coincidence that will suit track handling. If it changes much more than that, I may need to incorporate a quick front toe adjustment into my set-up routine.

Experience tells me it isn't behaving like a car with excessive toe out when I increase the camber from -2.0 (1mm toe in) to -3.0 (?? toe in/out).

Also, I'm sure that 99% of weekend track enthusiasts are simply pushing the strut tops inboard to a pre-determined position and are none-the-wiser about toe changes between the two settings.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2019, 11:44 PM   #48
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post

1. Swap front pads.
4. Swap rear pads.

Thanks this explains a lot!