BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2C vs 718 Boxster T vs mx5 nd

08-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
IronCore864
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2C

M2C vs 718 Boxster T vs mx5 nd

First things first, I fail to see why so many reviews say M2 and 718 are competitors. They simply are not. Price not even in the same range.

Did a test drive of 718 Boxster T PDK last weekend. TLDR: I'd rather have my mx5 nd back than having this boxster.

After I sat in, first thing I noticed is, my legs are too long, or my arms are too short. Anyway I can't find a drift/race sitting position where my knees don't bang on the dash. Have similar issue in mx5 too, but in M2 have no complain. According to some articles, 2018 or 2019 model mx5 nd has telescopic steering column. Not able to extend the wheels out a little bit was my only complain when I had nd. In a boxster apparently you can adjust, but it didn't help much to find my ideal position.

Then it's all the buttons. As a test drive car it basically has all the options so a lot of buttons, but no matter what you press, you don't really feel any big difference. Maybe I'm not a very sensitive person but I do feel there are huge differences in my M2 when I set the steering/engine response and the sound from comfort to sport then sport plus.

As a sportscar, the steering feedback is simply too light. It doesn't feel right. Yes the mx5 also feels light but mx5 is cheap so not much to complain. And the M2 just feels right, even in comfort mode it's not too light.

Then it's the ride, which is totally ruined by the huge wheels. I guess it can be useful on a race track but I don't go to race track everyday.

Compared to the wheels, the disk rotors are ridiculously small, leaving a lot of empty spaces in between. It looks funny.

I don't want to get into interior because it's supposed to be sporty rather than comfy/luxurious, but my god the buttons feel so cheap that I start to wonder they come from alibaba. The indicator lever's feedback is the worst I've every tried.

I think 718 boxster (this is T version with strap door handle) is waaay too overrated. M2 is a better car in every aspect. Heck, even mx5 is a better car, at least the indicator lever doesn't feel cheap.

Haven't driven a 911 yet; booked test drive of 992 c2s. Will report later. Based on my disappointing (not even underwhelming) experience with the boxster, I can only guess that the 911 is also overrated.

Last edited by IronCore864; 08-27-2019 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Please report back on your test drive of 992 911.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:44 AM   #3
iiNNeX
rwd = fun
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4CP

Garage List
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
I've test driven a Cayman S (6 inline 3.4 version not the new turbo 4 pot) and I can see exactly why it is an M2 competitor. Not sure about M2C though.

Gone: '18 M2 LCI Manual, '02 E46 M3 SMG, '05 E46 M3 Manual
Appreciate 0