BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Vrsf 5" intercooler upgrade

11-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
akahn221
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Vrsf 5" intercooler upgrade

Hey guys, this is my first post due to the fact that I finally cannot find an answer to one of my questions. Accidentally posted in S55 section as well.

About a month ago I installed VRSF 5" stepped intercooler and their catless downpipe on my MY17 LBB M2.

Had a big boost leak at first but fixed it by getting the clamps on correctly. These days my check engine light is coming on and reading code P120D and I have a feeling it has something to do with a boost leak because I do not have an aftermarket air intake just the K&N air filter.

Now my question is, when you folks were Installing a VRSF intercooler did you use any couplers or O rings? I still feel like I'm leaking in the higher rpms. I just can't figure out what exactly it could be. Wanted to ask around first before I spend money on a smoke test that probably won't do me much.

Let me know what you folks have done if you have been in this situation!

I am MHD stage 2+

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Will be installing my intercooler when it arrives. If I recall from some of the videos on how to do this, there is a rubber O ring on the intercooler end, and one going to Air Mass on the Charge Pipe. Did you install an aftermarket Charge Pipe? The OEM is cheap plastic, and prone to leaks and cracking.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
akahn221
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Will be installing my intercooler when it arrives. If I recall from some of the videos on how to do this, there is a rubber O ring on the intercooler end, and one going to Air Mass on the Charge Pipe. Did you install an aftermarket Charge Pipe? The OEM is cheap plastic, and prone to leaks and cracking.
I am going to be checking those O rings today. I have not replaced the charge pipe, did not have any issues yet but I guess from hearing what people are saying I should get new ones soon. I'm originally from Swampscott! Bet the M2 is a blast up there. Good luck on your instal! Are you doing charge pipes as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akahn221 View Post
I am going to be checking those O rings today. I have not replaced the charge pipe, did not have any issues yet but I guess from hearing what people are saying I should get new ones soon. I'm originally from Swampscott! Bet the M2 is a blast up there. Good luck on your instal! Are you doing charge pipes as well?
Yes. Am waiting for the Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe along with my AA Intercooler. The Charge Pipe is a weak point and should be changed if you track or not. Any aftermarket Charge pipe would be better than stock. As far as being up here in Boston, its cold and has already snowed. Makes for a shorter track season.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Just be sure you put some sort of lubricant on the O-rings so they don't roll and be sure the clip fully seats in the groove.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
akahn221
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Just be sure you put some sort of lubricant on the O-rings so they don't roll and be sure the clip fully seats in the groove.
So yesterday when I went under I looked at the right side of the charge pipe and the O ring was in. On the left side though the O ring was just hanging outside of everything. Not sure how it didn't fly off. This was just an error on my part when I was installing. Also Good point with those clips, you really have to have the intercooler piping go all inside as far in as possible or the clips will not seat as tight as possible. I put the O ring in with some lube and made sure those clips were fully in there and the charge pipe was on all the way. We are now boost leak free and where I was noticing the power loss up high it now just pulls and pulls and pulls. Very happy. Thank you for your input.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      11-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #7
akahn221
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Yes. Am waiting for the Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe along with my AA Intercooler. The Charge Pipe is a weak point and should be changed if you track or not. Any aftermarket Charge pipe would be better than stock. As far as being up here in Boston, its cold and has already snowed. Makes for a shorter track season.
I got it. It is very prone to cracking I hear. I will have to place an order on one. I heard you folks already got a little snow!! Crazy! It has fallen down into the 20s here in Austin already, reminded me of back home. Got used to the year round warmth living in California for a little bit. Good luck on your install! Will be very nice. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
logan528i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528I

can you put on a FMIC straight to the stock charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan528i View Post
can you put on a FMIC straight to the stock charge pipe?
Yes. Inlets and outlets are the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #10
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

When you guys say "lube the o-rings" what do you use for lube?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #11
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
When you guys say "lube the o-rings" what do you use for lube?
I used silicone paste but I'm sure motor oil would work just fine. Just needs a light film. WD-40 would probably work just as well also.
Appreciate 1