BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MSS Adjustable Lowering Springs Review by Evolve Automotive

06-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #111
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

My day at Millbrook has been cancelled by me due to pandemic looking to move it to August.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #112
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Didn't think a HAS system could corner balance. How 'out of whack is the stock far corner to corner and how much of a difference does it make?

Would the adjustments be a few mm i.e. the car isn't going to look lopsided is it?!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #113
SIE_M2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Didn't think a HAS system could corner balance. How 'out of whack is the stock far corner to corner and how much of a difference does it make?

Would the adjustments be a few mm i.e. the car isn't going to look lopsided is it?!
Can corner balance with any height adjustable spring kit, i.e. not just coilovers. The car won’t look lopsided as the difference is generally a few mm.

Would also agree with driver tuition; did a car limits day and also a day with Don Palmer at Bruntingthorpe. Would highly recommend either.

Are you doing Millbrook with CAT?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #114
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Ivan at total car control.
I may do CAT at a later time though, a road course if they do one I think they do.

What's a corner balanced car like is it OMG like when a car is out of alignment and you get it done properly?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 01:52 AM   #115
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Ivan at total car control.
I may do CAT at a later time though, a road course if they do one I think they do.

What's a corner balanced car like is it OMG like when a car is out of alignment and you get it done properly?
I've done CAT at Millbrook ✅

I had my coilover car setup by Center Gravity and it was night & day. They do all their pre and post assessment with DSC in default to use the system as a go by. Start of the day - DSC light was flashing and by the end no DSC lights 😉

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 04:32 AM   #116
Irish_M2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hey guys sorry for such a late update but I only got round to fitting the springs last Saturday. I did it myself with no previous experience and my mate would tell me what to do every now and again as he had his own work to do. Only took me a cool 8 hours to do the front and about an hour for the rear haha. But I'm slow and anal because I didn't want to damage anything. Anyway I bought these springs because on b roads anything above 70 and the car would try and jump off the road and it just made it extremely hard and dangerous to push on. Where as on track this was the exact opposite and iv loved the car.
Not done any hard b roads blasts yet but i have done about 600 miles across the country and in general the car feels the slightest bit more pliant and smoother on the crap roads. Also when I pushed on a bit I so far haven't had any moments yet where its tried to get air, Which it liked to do before. Will go for a spin tonight and let you guys know where I'm at. But so fair they seem to be doing what I want them to do. Back on track the end of August so will comment on that when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #117
ae03440
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18' M2 & 20' X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_M2 View Post
Hey guys sorry for such a late update but I only got round to fitting the springs last Saturday. I did it myself with no previous experience and my mate would tell me what to do every now and again as he had his own work to do. Only took me a cool 8 hours to do the front and about an hour for the rear haha. But I'm slow and anal because I didn't want to damage anything. Anyway I bought these springs because on b roads anything above 70 and the car would try and jump off the road and it just made it extremely hard and dangerous to push on. Where as on track this was the exact opposite and iv loved the car.
Not done any hard b roads blasts yet but i have done about 600 miles across the country and in general the car feels the slightest bit more pliant and smoother on the crap roads. Also when I pushed on a bit I so far haven't had any moments yet where its tried to get air, Which it liked to do before. Will go for a spin tonight and let you guys know where I'm at. But so fair they seem to be doing what I want them to do. Back on track the end of August so will comment on that when the time comes.
Thank you for this! I'm picking up my set next week and am excited to have them installed. Not too many reviews out there so I appreciate your perspective.
Appreciate 1
Montaver2182.00
      06-17-2020, 04:59 AM   #118
Irish_M2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

So went out for a good blast last night and I'm alot happier with the car. Hit some good speeds and she didn't get skittish on me at all. Well worth the 700 quid for me personally. Also went down a stretch of really terrible road at low speeds and the car just rides them better. Hopefully now the car is still just as good on track.
If anyone has any questions feel free to message me.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #119
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_M2 View Post
So went out for a good blast last night and I'm alot happier with the car. Hit some good speeds and she didn't get skittish on me at all. Well worth the 700 quid for me personally. Also went down a stretch of really terrible road at low speeds and the car just rides them better. Hopefully now the car is still just as good on track.
If anyone has any questions feel free to message me.
Cheers
Irish what happens when you plant it with the MSS, can the back end still playfully squirmy?

Joe Achilles in his video floors it in second and gets no wheel spin or traction light whereas normally he would. I like squirming around so if that were taken away I'd be gutted.

How is the kit at town speeds, any rougher than stock?

Is your car lowered or at stock height?

Any weird damping issues after bumps?

Cheers
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      06-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #120
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Ordered these, Unfortunately I don't think the replacement bolts I ordered will arrive until next week, so I will install them next weekend. I live in Southern California, so I will get a good variety of roads to test and report back on.

I will also take photos of the installation just in case they can help others.
Appreciate 3
nioh_lbbm21716.50
StephGOD218.50
      06-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #121
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Ordered these, Unfortunately I don't think the replacement bolts I ordered will arrive until next week, so I will install them next weekend. I live in Southern California, so I will get a good variety of roads to test and report back on.

I will also take photos of the installation just in case they can help others.
NOICE
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:20 AM   #122
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Guys any updates on MSS - eg. photos of the car settled on the kit. How's it handling aggressive cornering & canyon roads?

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on this set up. Leaning towards MSS vs KW HAS.

Any additional comments & feedback appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #123
325smg
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 325i

What happen to the B8 MSS?
      07-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #124
OzWoz
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325smg View Post
What happen to the B8 MSS?
Bump for this question. I own the MSS springs from Evolve and would like to know where the B8 development is at.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 02:54 AM   #125
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Hope Imran doesn't mind my regurgitation of his post from the cutters forum's but Bilstein aren't developing in current situation and struggling with normal operation as it is, hence delays.
Appreciate 1
OzWoz75.00
      07-22-2020, 03:20 AM   #126
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Hope Imran doesn't mind my regurgitation of his post from the cutters forum's but Bilstein aren't developing in current situation and struggling with normal operation as it is, hence delays.
I'd be inclined to go with F87 Billy B6 c/w MSS if you want mild drop or Billy B8 struts/damper, if wanting to set ride height at the lower end of MSS range.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:11 AM   #127
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

I don't really see the M2 as a too high car not interested in dropping really at all. I don't know how much you can drop before speed bumps are your enemy, not interested in finding out either!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 01:37 AM   #128
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Thought I would share some images with the newly installed MSS suspension.

Very impressed with handling, comfort and height.
Installed at Elite Euro Performance, Melbourne
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #129
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Lowered just the fronts about 1/2" to have even wheel gap F&R.
Install was a breeze thanks to the adjuster design of the MSS (using stock spring perch).

I put a few thousand miles on them so far, and I'm fairly happy with the ride.
It's a little firmer than stock, but no crashing into bump stops.
I guess my moderate drop plays a role in this too...
I don't track the car, so can't comment on the difference in handling characteristics, if there's any.
All I can say is it's planted through long sweeping high-speed corners (bumpy surface or not), no unsettling sensation during high-speed runs (100+ mph).
Happy camper here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      09-01-2020, 05:06 AM   #130
tubstar
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I love how my car looks at the moment but has anyone experienced hopping on hard corners, traction light cutting power over slight bumps and going slightly sideways when hard accelerating?

MSS has recommended that I have a rake so the rear should sit 5mm higher than the front however I'm out of threads to raise the car any further and the front is as low as it goes

Alignment specs below

Rear just tucking the tyre

The spindle adjusted pretty high with only half the threads connecting

09-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #131
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

That doesn’t look right... seems way too low in the rear.
Did you remove any components (spring seats, etc.) when installing?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #132
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
That doesn’t look right... seems way too low in the rear.
Did you remove any components (spring seats, etc.) when installing?
It does look quite low in the rear.

I had my MSS springs installed last week, mine looks like they were put on with no rake however, there's slightly less then one finger gap in the rear and about 1.5 finger gap at the front. Mine do feel quite soft in the rear when pushing a bit...

I'm thinking in a few weeks I'll get the fender gap evened out and that should give it a bit of rake towards the front.
Appreciate 0