BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Question identifying engine ticking

06-19-2022, 11:00 PM   #1
Atam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Question identifying engine ticking

Hey all, I have a ticking noise whenever i rev the vehicle to 2k rpm + I wonder if anyone is able to identify this issue? I have seen the vids of people idle making the noise but this will happen when I'm revving while in park or when I'm just driving and having rpm 2k+

https://youtube.com/shorts/9tPoJyT3ijc?feature=share

I had brought it into carbahn and they said it was a lifter issue. Brought it in to BMWSF and they said its normal. I feel like I'm more inclined to believe Carbahn as they have nothing to gain from telling me there is a sound that seems off , while the dealership may just want to stall time until my factory warranty runs out. If anyone has any idea, please share as I'd like to take it to another dealership and bring up something that it could possibly be.

Last edited by Atam; 06-19-2022 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 01:10 PM   #2
Sharasuke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

Mate, I am in the exact same position as you are. The ticking at idle is probably valve injectors or something I've read here.

when revving mine makes the same sound, but at 2000rpm i get a noise like a pipe thats rattling for just a second too.

If while driving I go to around 4K rpm and release throttle and afterwards I go on the throttle a little bit it's the exact same sound as you but it's even more prominent I think, you can hear it in the whole car.

Went to dealership cause I have 1 year warranty left but they say it's normal.

Also visited a local tuner here which installs turbo's for S55 and the engine guy said he never heard it before. But could be something else then the engine.

I made some vids from inside the car, will upload the good ones soon.

It's driving me crazy and actually thinking about selling the car cause I don't want to take the risk of getting problem after problem after warranty is over. But I don't want to sell this baby, it's a classic already.

I'm due for an oil change next month and I've read on a thread here somewhere that the sound went away with an oil change but came back. Then he did the oil change himself with different oil and it didn't came back. I have no idea if this is real or not, just providing some information.
For info: I have 11K km after the 2K km drive-in period oil change.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 01:44 PM   #3
Sharasuke
Enlisted Member
Rep

some vids (watch till the end). lookout for a high pitched noise, bassy noise is normal (it's in efficient mode so no ASD)

(they are not really representative, i'll try recording with my gopro next time)

https://youtube.com/shorts/2kbSn5yPqQw?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/yOFfOWuNVPI?feature=share

Last edited by Sharasuke; 06-20-2022 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 01:00 AM   #4
Atam
Private First Class
Rep

Just brought it into dealership. Will keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #5
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like you stole it

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1662826

Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
Atam47.00
      06-23-2022, 05:39 PM   #6
Atam
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsaneM View Post
I saw that video but it looks like the difference is my idle sounds normal and the noise comes on when I rev. I did bring up the issues that people had suggested to the tech so hopefully he'll check.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 10:40 AM   #7
Sharasuke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atam View Post
I saw that video but it looks like the difference is my idle sounds normal and the noise comes on when I rev. I did bring up the issues that people had suggested to the tech so hopefully he'll check.
I have the same sound as that guy idle, and the noise changes when I rev. So I think I have both.
The sound at idle is definitely from valvetronic according to him and it was normal.

I talked with a former engine mechanic at BMW and he checked a lot with my car.
In his opinion it's not in the bottom end/crank noises. Those need to be a lot louder. He also checked the oil fast for any metal stuff, there was none.

I took him for a drive and we disabled ASD so you could hear it better.

He actually thought it was some kind of resonation of the pipes or a heatshield resonating somewhere. Maybe could be some part in the intake resonating as well.
It was not as severe as an issue for him.

He's going to talk about it with the head mechanic of a dealership to see what he has to say (he knows the guy really wel so i expect no bullshit lol).
I'll keep this updated when I heard back.

Maybe yours is something resonating as well?

I read in some posts about an oil change, mine is due next month so if the sounds change i will keep you updated.
Appreciate 1
Atam47.00
      06-27-2022, 08:28 PM   #8
Atam
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharasuke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atam View Post
I have the same sound as that guy idle, and the noise changes when I rev. So I think I have both.
The sound at idle is definitely from valvetronic according to him and it was normal.

I talked with a former engine mechanic at BMW and he checked a lot with my car.
In his opinion it's not in the bottom end/crank noises. Those need to be a lot louder. He also checked the oil fast for any metal stuff, there was none.

I took him for a drive and we disabled ASD so you could hear it better.

He actually thought it was some kind of resonation of the pipes or a heatshield resonating somewhere. Maybe could be some part in the intake resonating as well.
It was not as severe as an issue for him.

He's going to talk about it with the head mechanic of a dealership to see what he has to say (he knows the guy really wel so i expect no bullshit lol).
I'll keep this updated when I heard back.

Maybe yours is something resonating as well?

I read in some posts about an oil change, mine is due next month so if the sounds change i will keep you updated.
Got shoo'd away after a few days. Seems like either nothings wrong or both the bmw service depts refuse to acknowledge an issue.

Could be normal engine noise but I'm so skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 08:51 PM   #9
Atam
Private First Class
Rep

Sharasuke Any updates on your end?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:00 PM   #10
Novac99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Seen this on a couple other forums...experiencing the same thing

Any updates from anyone in the above posts?
Appreciate 0