BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > M2 threshold braking - ABS interference

03-08-2021, 03:01 AM   #23
daap1193
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C sunset orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracer12 View Post
I think this is probably what is interfering when braking at the limit. Does anyone know how to disable "Brake Fade Compensation" with coding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Might be worthing asking a coding expert to check if there's any OEM coding for 400/380 MPBBK retrofit (red calipers) or 2NH option (grey calipers) - this may help with calibrating ABS etc ??
This is one of the parameters that can be disabled but it alone will not solve the brake issue, coding this feature out helps to maintain constant brake pedal feel only, but many other braking assist features need to be turned off, coincidentally I have test 2HN M sport coding on blue calipers but it doesn't work, what 2HN does is increase rear caliper pressure to compensate for bigger calipers in the front, so when paired with blue calipers what I felt was that in heavy braking the car pulls to the right every time I apply the brakes.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1766.50
      03-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #24
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracer12 View Post
I think this is probably what is interfering when braking at the limit. Does anyone know how to disable "Brake Fade Compensation" with coding?

This seems usafe. But maybe I misunderstand. Ostensibly the car makes up for brake fade by applying more brake than you did with your foot. In other words hiding the brake fade from you?!?! Doesn't this ultimately just give the driver less warning that the brakes are overworked and thus less opportunity to remedy with a cool down lap before the brakes fade beyond the point compensation can be effective and you go full code brown. How did anyone ever think this "feature" was a good idea
Appreciate 1
DRLane3982.50
      03-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #25
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by daap1193 View Post
I have developed and test a coding solution for your problem, to summarize I can disable all the brake electronic parameters that think you're going to crash and apply maximum braking force sending your car into abs zone, also I can reduce brake pressure-assist so you will be able to control the maximum brake pressure and therefore improve you braking in track, this will traduce into race car pedal feel and brake control, the problem is not abs maximum threshold as you suggest, PM me and will remote code your car if interested, I have tested this set up with different cars (M2-M3 M235 and M240i) and all of them owned by race drivers with amazing success and feedback.

I think I'm the first person to develop a solution for this problem, having a racing background and plenty of race driver friends we discuss how different race car brakes feel in comparison to our bimmers, so after many hours of testing and coding
Development I finally ended with a solution which they have called "Gt4 coding for brakes.
Can you share that information here or in PM regarding the changed parameters?

Secondly, if anyone has access to a CS Racing (long shot 🤷🏻*♂️), they could pull the CAFD files.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 04:55 AM   #26
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
I have developed and test a coding solution for your problem, to summarize I can disable all the brake electronic parameters that think you're going to crash and apply maximum braking force sending your car into abs zone, also I can reduce brake pressure-assist so you will be able to control the maximum brake pressure and therefore improve you braking in track, this will traduce into race car pedal feel and brake control, the problem is not abs maximum threshold as you suggest, PM me and will remote code your car if interested, I have tested this set up with different cars (M2-M3 M235 and M240i) and all of them owned by race drivers with amazing success and feedback.

I think I'm the first person to develop a solution for this problem, having a racing background and plenty of race driver friends we discuss how different race car brakes feel in comparison to our bimmers, so after many hours of testing and coding
Development I finally ended with a solution which they have called "Gt4 coding for brakes.
Could you please PM me the details? I am very interested in what makes the GT4 setup!
      03-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #27
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

In the linked German forum post, there are two settings that the user recommends removing:

Quote:
C_Ffunktion_Bremsbereitschaft_aktiv_I = Means that the brake is already pre-tensioned with pressure when you suddenly take your foot off the accelerator.
Quasi intended for emergency braking, so that the brake gives a lot of pressure before the brake pedal is even pressed.
If you take your foot off the accelerator quickly and suddenly, the car thinks that emergency braking is imminent.
The scenario happens quite often on the racetrack where you go from accelerator to brake very quickly, then there is a lot of pressure.
But if the whole thing sometimes takes longer, the brake is not pre-tensioned and you then have significantly less pressure.
So you simply have different brake pressures that are not constant and predictable.
That annoyed me in particular because I also liked to brake with my left hand from time to time. It is absolutely inaccessible because the "full brake mode" is then practically permanently active: 3_grin:

C_Ffunktion_Fadingkompensation_aktiv_I = Compensates for the fading of the brake by simply applying more and more pressure via the brake booster or the electronics.
The brakes are getting hotter and hotter, the brake fluid is boiling and you still have the feeling in the car that everything is fine because the pedal pressure is okay.
For the normal driver, of course, great, because the grandma drives down the hill in the BMW 1 Series, is constantly on the brakes and still has the feeling that the car is still braking fully because the pressure remains the same.
It just goes on indefinitely until you get to the point where the brakes are completely at the end, but the pressure still feels good and the car just doesn't brake anymore.
When the function is off, you can tell from the brake pedal what state the brake is really in. So if the pressure drops at some point, the brakes are also pretty hot.
What is much worse, however, is that the fading is not only compensated when braking several times, but almost during one braking process: If you brake hard and for a long time (e.g. from 200 to 50), the brake booster compensates and increases the pressure.
Is a great function to make completely shitty and undersized brake systems appear sovereign: 4_joy:
The latter, C_Ffunktion_Fadingkompensation_aktiv_I, is not active for M vehicles (at least on my Competition it is not) and even says so [in Deutsch] within the E-sys notes.

The former, C_Ffunktion_Bremsbereitschaft_aktiv_I, is the one that I coded out prior to last weekend at COTA—all other things being exactly the same as when I was there in December. I can confirm that this will get rid of the odd variance in pedal pressure that happens on occasion and provided me with consistent pedal feel whether braking while overlapping throttler lighting braking or quickly lifting throttle for hard braking.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #28
daap1193
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C sunset orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
Can you share that information here or in PM regarding the changed parameters?

Secondly, if anyone has access to a CS Racing (long shot ����*♂️), they could pull the CAFD files.
Would be nice to have CAFD from racing cars like the m4 gt4, but most of them use different abs modules, so there no much to learn. Fading compensation as you can tell is not active on M cars in comparison with Mperformance or non m cars, this is due to them been equipped with better brakes, or at least bigger rotors like the M2-3 and 4, but there are other parameters that you can modify to improve your cars braking feedback, I also have an M2C and my brakes are now much better after the coding, the brake pedal feels firmer, I have to apply a little more of force to achieve desire braking, now I´m able to brake hard without locking-up the tires and abs kicking in. I haven't share as much information in posts but you can PM, will be nice to have more feedback from other forum members.

Last edited by daap1193; 03-30-2021 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
Bee Pee1766.50
      09-18-2021, 10:23 AM   #29
Niago
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Would be nice to have CAFD from racing cars like the m4 gt4, but most of them use different abs modules, so there no much to learn. Fading compensation as you can tell is not active on M cars in comparison with Mperformance or non m cars, this is due to them been equipped with better brakes, or at least bigger rotors like the M2-3 and 4, but there are other parameters that you can modify to improve your cars braking feedback, I also have an M2C and my brakes are now much better after the coding, the brake pedal feels firmer, I have to apply a little more of force to achieve desire braking, now I´m able to brake hard without locking-up the tires and abs kicking in. I haven't share as much information in posts but you can PM, will be nice to have more feedback from other forum members.
Hi daap,

Could you please PM me? I would be interested in some help please.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 09:53 PM   #30
iWayne
///M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

C_Ffunktion_Bremsbereitschaft_aktiv_I

Could this fix the pad knock back issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #31
Niago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWayne View Post

Not sure to understand your question but if you are reffering to the "knock" it makes when you brake driving forward after braking backward (and vice versa), this "issue" is mechanical. It comes from the play the pads have (you can reproduce this effect by hand by moving the pads).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #32
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Nope you need anti-knock back springs in the callipers for that.

That parameter is for "brake preparedness" which I think is the feature that wipes discs when wet.

The GT4 coding + front APs is great. Brakes are easy to modulate at the limit.
      09-20-2021, 01:20 AM   #33
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post

That parameter is for "brake preparedness" which I think is the feature that wipes discs when wet.

So you got the coding from daap1193?
Is it customized to your brake balance setup?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 02:13 AM   #34
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
Quote:

So you got the coding from daap1193?
Is it customized to your brake balance setup?
The coding does not mess with the balance or ABS, it only touches things that alter pedal feel.

Like the brake preparedness or emergency brake boost or brake fade compensation.

The result is a pedal that feels consistent. I no longer get that weird extra bit of braking sometimes or have the brakes grab differently at the same pedal pressure.

Daap1193 did my coding, I think he wanted to offer it as a service so I won't disclose how to do it. If he agrees or has disappeared I can prepare something.

I don't think the brake balance needs to be altered. Maybe if you are a semi pro or better driver you can get a bit more out of the car but for track days the balance is good enough.

There is a 1 make series here running M2C like M240i's that have APs up front and stock 2 pot brakes in the rear. I spoke to the tuner that altered the brake mapping to suit these cars and he said you don't need to do anything until you run full slicks, then the system can be thrown off and some parameters in the ABS comp need to be altered.
      09-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #35
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

If it helps at all, it wouldn't be consistent in all situations.

Quote:

The Brake preparedness C_Ffunktion_Bremsbereitschaft_aktiv_I only pre-pressurizes the brake system when the throttle is suddenly released or chopped. There is a video that explains it, but it's essentially to provide a very tall pedal in the event of an emergency stop.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #36
Niago
Rep

I contacted Daap and he coded the brakes for me.
I can 100% recommand to contact him.
You need a laptop and an OBD-Ethernet cable, he will do the rest remotely for you.
The result of the coding is a more consistent brake pedal (no more unexpected and exaggerated brake assistance) and a better feedback through the pedal. When driving, it translates into more feedback and more confidence in the braking system.
100% recommand!
Appreciate 3
CSBM52715.00
AWC-F87436.50
Bee Pee1766.50
      10-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #37
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I happy to report I had daap1193 code my car with his braking mods and m4gts steering. We are both very hopeful this may resolve the side to side squirming sensation I feel in the car when braking from 150mph to 80 on the limit
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #38
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
I happy to report I had daap1193 code my car with his braking mods and m4gts steering. We are both very hopeful this may resolve the side to side squirming sensation I feel in the car when braking from 150mph to 80 on the limit
Pretty sure I know the answer but what level of DSC are you running when that would happen?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #39
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

I'd also like to add David is a really nice guy and is extremely helpful!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:05 PM   #40
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Quote:
Pretty sure I know the answer but what level of DSC are you running when that would happen?
Sport+
I haven't had the balls to run in DSC off mode on track
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:58 PM   #41
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Sport+
I haven't had the balls to run in DSC off mode on track
Ok so every BMW (including the M2s) I have tracked has been a bit squirrely under hard high speed braking with any form of DSC active. DSC off and it is much more stable under heavy braking. Not saying what you had done won't help - just that if you are still seeing it this might be what is going on.

Definitely not saying need to be running DSC off - certainly you do you - but that is one of the big benefits of it being off.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #42
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Ok so every BMW (including the M2s) I have tracked has been a bit squirrely under hard high speed braking with any form of DSC active. DSC off and it is much more stable under heavy braking. Not saying what you had done won't help - just that if you are still seeing it this might be what is going on.

Definitely not saying need to be running DSC off - certainly you do you - but that is one of the big benefits of it being off.
Hmmm... The M2C is the first car I've really experienced the squirrelly feeling rear under hard braking. Although my track experience has mostly been 5 series (M5, 550i) with the longer wheelbase except for a 335is for a while.

Although, I have gained enough experience in the M2C to go full DSC off and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:25 AM   #43
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Hmmm... The M2C is the first car I've really experienced the squirrelly feeling rear under hard braking. Although my track experience has mostly been 5 series (M5, 550i) with the longer wheelbase except for a 335is for a while.

Although, I have gained enough experience in the M2C to go full DSC off and see how it goes.
Definitely more prevalent from higher speeds - but is noticeable during all hard braking with DSC on. See it on both my OG & comp (as well as the others). Right there on the verge of abs - that bit of unsettling - see if that cleans up for you when you go DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #44
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Definitely more prevalent from higher speeds - but is noticeable during all hard braking with DSC on. See it on both my OG & comp (as well as the others). Right there on the verge of abs - that bit of unsettling - see if that cleans up for you when you go DSC off.
I've also learned to ease into the brakes a bit which helps, say the first 50 feet from 100 mph, and then hard on them. They also made some rear camber/toe adjustments that could help.
Appreciate 0