BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M Performance race steering wheel

09-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
Racekaby
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

M Performance race steering wheel

Just had one of these installed by the local dealer. Very trick piece of kit and really only for show when on the road. But.....even in the UK if the car is left in the sunshine and the heat builds up then it stops working. Googled this and it is “a thing” on loads of forums. Basically let it cool down and then when you restart it works fine!
Surely this should be considered by BMW as a warranty issue? Then again if it is fundamental design issue with the steering wheel then what can they do?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #2
.Slug
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance

I want this steering wheel so bad. Mostly because it provides an actual shift indicator and some other cool little perks. Other than the heat issue and it being "very trick", any other thoughts on it? Worth the change given the price point? I see I can currently pick it up for about $1400.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
Racekaby
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Slug View Post
I want this steering wheel so bad. Mostly because it provides an actual shift indicator and some other cool little perks. Other than the heat issue and it being "very trick", any other thoughts on it? Worth the change given the price point? I see I can currently pick it up for about $1400.
Seems a bit expensive...got mine in the Uk for £900. But looking at approx £150 to be fitted. Nice extra (if you track the car) is a sensor that can be plugged in and used as a lap timer on track.
The alcantara feels so much better than the standard leather but, as said, just really fun watching the lights sequence telling you when to change etc
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
.Slug
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racekaby View Post
Seems a bit expensive...got mine in the Uk for £900. But looking at approx £150 to be fitted.
That translates to about $1,244.94 US at today's exchangne rate. A bit cheaper, but yah with the installation it comes out to about the same. I'd probably install it myself. I love a nice little DIY project.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #5
M2COD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Love mine. I'm glad it is smart enough to protect itself when it gets hot. Run the AC for a bit and it pops back on even without restarting the car.

I love that it displays oil temp alongside coolant so you know when the car is truly warmed up. The shift lights are amazing when getting on down a windy road and not needing to glance at gauges. Also a big fan of the thickness of it.
Appreciate 1
.Slug446.00
      09-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Indispensable for me on track
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COD View Post
Love mine. I'm glad it is smart enough to protect itself when it gets hot. Run the AC for a bit and it pops back on even without restarting the car.

I love that it displays oil temp alongside coolant so you know when the car is truly warmed up. The shift lights are amazing when getting on down a windy road and not needing to glance at gauges. Also a big fan of the thickness of it.
Can you give the part number for this wheel, please. TIA
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

I got it shipped to California from a South Korea bmw dealership for 1100$ and got installed by Dinan. It's very complicated install setup and usage. I need to program the shift lights not to come on so early and I did not expect I would not like the suede it's more slippery than the leather
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #9
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racekaby View Post
... if the car is left in the sunshine and the heat builds up then it stops working. Googled this and it is “a thing” on loads of forums. Basically let it cool down and then when you restart it works fine!
Surely this should be considered by BMW as a warranty issue? Then again if it is fundamental design issue with the steering wheel then what can they do?
It's by design. I had the first generation steering wheel on my 135i, and in the manual it's clearly stated:

"In order to safeguard a long service life for the electronic components, the BMW Performance steering wheel can only be operated in a temperature range between -10 °C and +60 °C (+14 °F and +140 °F).

Outside this temperature range, all the functions and displays of the BMW Performance steering wheel are disabled."

I would expect the same verbiage for the new wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
I got it shipped to California from a South Korea bmw dealership for 1100$ and got installed by Dinan. It's very complicated install setup and usage. I need to program the shift lights not to come on so early and I did not expect I would not like the suede it's more slippery than the leather
Slightly off topic... I know most love alcantara, I frankly hated it. I swapped out my oem cs wheel for a comp. I love it!

Moflow2484.50
NWest549.50
krm347.00
Poochie9099.00
pdx2er63.00
      09-17-2021, 10:16 PM   #11
.Slug
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Slightly off topic... I know most love alcantara, I frankly hated it. I swapped out my oem cs wheel for a comp. I love it!

What made you hate the alcantara?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #12
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

The feel of it was akin to nails on a chalk board for me. Perhaps that is an exaggeration, however it is certainly a personal subjective feel thing.

I also agree with most reviewers who think it was just too thick. It also made my hands sweat and I have dry hands.

Since the leather comp wheel swap, I'm even more sure of my distaste for it.

The bright side is the OEM wheel has only a few hours of my semi dry hands on it. It will remain as new forever in a box...
      09-18-2021, 11:35 AM   #13
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
The feel of it was akin to nails on a chalk board for me. Perhaps that is an exaggeration, however it is certainly a personal subjective feel thing.

I also agree with most reviewers who think it was just too thick. It also made my hands sweat and I have dry hands.

The bright side is the OEM wheel has only a few hours of my semi dry hands on it. It will remain as new forever in a box...
Yeah, I can’t imagine using an alcantara wheel and having it not feel gross and crusty after a few months, my hands definitely get sweaty and I just don’t see myself putting on gloves every time I went for a drive. One of my favorite things about the m2 comp is how most of the alcantara is in places you won’t touch with your palms. Especially around the doors where it rubs the back (clean) part of your hands.
Appreciate 1
M3R12147.00
      09-19-2021, 05:56 AM   #14
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Yup. I now use leather driving gloves cause that's the only way I can grip the steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #15
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:

Agree with this, I would have to swap it for leather also, and I know it's very subjective with preference for leather vs Alcantara.

When I drove a friend's CS, I had a negative reaction to the fatter Alcantara wheel, felt like I was steering with a big sponge wrapped around the wheel - I don't have small hands and it felt noticeably thicker than my leather Comp wheel. It's one of the few things I didn't like about the CS.
Appreciate 2
krm347.00
M3R12147.00
      09-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #16
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest View Post
Agree with this, I would have to swap it for leather also, and I know it's very subjective with preference for leather vs Alcantara.

When I drove a friend's CS, I had a negative reaction to the fatter Alcantara wheel, felt like I was steering with a big sponge wrapped around the wheel - I don't have small hands and it felt noticeably thicker than my leather Comp wheel. It's one of the few things I didn't like about the CS.
The steering wheel and the cow udder are the only things that "need" to be changed. otherwise IMO this is the perfect street toy...
      03-09-2022, 02:11 PM   #17
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I actually like the alcantara and also had it on my e46 ZHP. I'd like to replace the CS steering wheel with this one for a manual car. Has anybody installed it on a manual car, some of the descriptions online refer to paddle shifters…..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 02:19 PM   #18
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Sonax and a brush. Takes 5 mins and the alcantara is fluffy and clean like new.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 05:34 PM   #19
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
Sonax and a brush. Takes 5 mins and the alcantara is fluffy and clean like new.
this.

Alcantara feels amazing to me but you do have to clean it once in a while. I do however understand why some don't like how it feels.

I like this LED wheel mostly because of the info you can have display (since this damn car does not have a dedicated oil temp gauge). That said I do wish the shape was like the m performance v2, I like the flat bottom. I ended up going v2 over this because of that and because I did not want to pay to get it installed, its a bit above my pay grade while the v2 I just did it myself, was pretty easy.
Appreciate 0