BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Rear turn indicator failure

View Poll Results: Have your M2C rear indicator units failed?
Yes 135 63.68%
No 77 36.32%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

03-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #23
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Wtf, I just realized, they had a stop sale on my car when I bought it because of this. I bought it off the lot and it had 124 miles, and I guess this had shown up already.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
It's interesting because if you've retrofitted LCI tail lights on a PreLCI this doesn't seem to be an issue
The issue is BMW leaving the "hot" bulb-check on even for LED tail lights..

LED runs on a lower polarity than incandescent, for which the "bulb checks" was originally designed for, so the system is going to assume an error when LEDs are operational, since it's drawing a lower amperage.

I have a sneaking suspicion because BMW left on the hot bulb check (for God knows why : ) for the LED turn signal and the lack of ground is causing the turn signal to assume an error.

Folks that did the LCI taillight swap is going to go by the DIY instructions and code out the hot and cold bulb checks, hence, no rapid flashing turn signal error.

BTW, I to have a pre-LCI with LED taillights and never received a turn signal error but I did double up on two separate ground polarity wires, just for good measure.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...outer/4LACTpNd
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      03-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #25
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

LED runs on a lower polarity than incandescent, for which the "bulb checks" was originally designed for, so the system is going to assume an error when LEDs are operational, since it's drawing a lower amperage.

I have a sneaking suspicion because left on the hot bulb check (for God knows why : ) for the LED turn signal and the lack of ground is causing the turn signal to assume an error.

Folks that did the LCI taillight swap is going to go by the DIY instructions and code out the hot and cold bulb checks, hence, no rapid flashing turn signal error.
Lol so in theory this issue could be solved by just coding out the bulb checks? Seems like a much easier solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #26
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have a sneaking suspicion because left on the hot bulb check (for God knows why : ) for the LED turn signal and the lack of ground is causing the turn signal to assume an error.

Lol so in theory this issue could be solved by just coding out the bulb checks? Seems like a much easier solution.
I really believe so..

I mean, there must be a logical explanation for this fault but I'm merely just a guy making an educated guess based on the facts and it won't cost anything to give it a shot, if you already paid for the Bimmercode APP.

I hope I win a prize if I'm right..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #27
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I really believe so..

I mean, there must be a logical explanation for this fault but I'm merely just a guy making an educated guess based on the facts and it won't cost anything to give it a shot, if you already paid for the Bimmercode APP.

Is the error staying for people? It showed up for me but also disappeared within 20 or so miles and never came back.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #28
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I really believe so..

Is the error staying for people? It showed up for me but also disappeared within 20 or so miles and never came back.
It occurs intermittently and doesn't leave a trace afterwards.. One if those ghost errors..

One of you guys with a Competition and the Bimmercode APP should verify if the hot bulb check is on for the turn signals..

If it is active, I reckon that's the root cause of your issue..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CSBM52695.50
      03-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #29
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I really believe so..

It occurs intermittently and doesn't leave a trace afterwards.. One if those ghost errors..

One of you guys with a Competition and the Bimmercode APP should verify if the hot bulb check is on for the turn signals..

If it is active, I reckon that's the root cause of your issue..
Got you, I'll let you know tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #30
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
The error has been intermittent. My dealer was able to get an error code readout on the error. My problem was in the wiring harness and I haven’t had a problem since they fixed the harness.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:10 PM   #31
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Just got mine back from the dealer and now the left side is 2x as bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:58 PM   #32
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Hey, do you have the Bimmercode APP or Esys?

I would like someone with an LCI or Competition to verify the turn signal bulb check parameters..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:03 AM   #33
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Hey, do you have the Bimmercode APP or Esys?

I would like someone with an LCI to Competition to verify the turn signal bulb check parameters..
Yes I do, I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      04-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #34
lengrenjt
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, Q7

Just inactivated the brake light warm monitoring for my 2019 M2C. Will see how this goes in the next few weeks.
Funny thing is that I noticed light warm monitoring is disabled for all other lights while the brake light is the only one comes with it active...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #35
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lengrenjt View Post
Just inactivated the brake light warm monitoring for my 2019 M2C. Will see how this goes in the next few weeks.
Funny thing is that I noticed light warm monitoring is disabled for all other lights while the brake light is the only one comes with it active...
Did you manage to check the warm check for the turn signals?

I believe It's listed under "blinken"..

I'm like 90% sure that specifically removing the warm check for the turn signals will eliminate any potential errors.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:25 PM   #36
lengrenjt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm like 90% sure that specifically removing the warm check for the turn signals will eliminate any potential errors.
Mine says "not active".
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      04-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #37
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine says "not active".
Great, thanks for checking.

That's odd, that the technical manual states that it's in an "active" state for LEDs, which led to my speculation..

I guess my theory on the error just went out the window...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 06:24 PM   #38
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Have we pinned down which cars are affected?

Mine is a MY2020 with Production Start Date of 3/9/2019

To be clear, I have NOT experienced this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:32 PM   #39
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post

Not all M2s have this problem. It first showed up on the LCI M2 but also was seen on 3 and 4 series LCI cars. There is a service bulletin on this problem but I don’t think any customer has seen it. My M2 had the problem and it was determined to be a wiring harness problem. I haven’t had a problem since they fixed it. Supposedly the bulletin said to look at the wiring harness first.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #40
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post

Not all M2s have this problem. It first showed up on the LCI M2 but also was seen on 3 and 4 series LCI cars. There is a service bulletin on this problem but I don't think any customer has seen it. My M2 had the problem and it was determined to be a wiring harness problem. I haven't had a problem since they fixed it. Supposedly the bulletin said to look at the wiring harness first.
The service bulletin only applies to the Pre-LCI, there is none for the LCI LED taillights.

I had someone check, nothing..

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ess/1VnZ8zZX2B
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #41
lengrenjt
United_States
Rep

Rear turn indicator failure

A quick update, it's been more than 3 months after I inactivated the brake light warm monitoring. Magically the rear turn indicator hasn't failed not even for once.
I'm not sure if this has permanently solved the issue but so far looks like it works out.
Appreciate 3
Poochie9099.00
Mark 1M348.50
x233284.00
      07-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #42
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Anyone had this problem with the 2020 car? I know the 2019 and the 2020 had different taillights, but I wonder if they swapped out more than just the lenses?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #43
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Anyone had this problem with the 2020 car? I know the 2019 and the 2020 had different taillights, but I wonder if they swapped out more than just the lenses?
Only the exterior of the taillights was altered for the 2020 MY, as in a darker light diffuser (ruby red lens)..

The root cause of this rapid flashing issue was not addressed..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      07-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #44
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

And I voted "no" initially, but am now periodically having this issue. Sigh.
Appreciate 0