BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Anybody having Carplay issues in their M2C?

09-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
DasMonkey
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Anybody having Carplay issues in their M2C?

I've had my car for a couple weeks now and the Carplay has been buggy as hell. It 'stutters' meaning like a small skip in audio. Sometimes it also just drops off line (as in the Carplay just goes away on the iDrive screen, and then comes back after 30 seconds or so).

-I have an iPhone X and the behavior is the same with either USB or Bluetooth connection.

-All functions work fine in standard BMW mode (disable Carplay) with USB and Bluetooth

-My same iPhone works flawlessly in Carpaly in the wife's Audi Q7

-I have tried rebooting iPhone, deleting Carplay set up and starting over etc. to no avail.

-I went to the bmw.com/update to download any new software by my VIN. Then when attempting to install that update via USB drive, the car says the update is not valid for my vehicle.

Anybody else have any issues or know if there is any service updates?
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      09-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMonkey View Post
I've had my car for a couple weeks now and the Carplay has been buggy as hell. It 'stutters' meaning like a small skip in audio. Sometimes it also just drops off line (as in the Carplay just goes away on the iDrive screen, and then comes back after 30 seconds or so).

-I have an iPhone X and the behavior is the same with either USB or Bluetooth connection.

-All functions work fine in standard BMW mode (disable Carplay) with USB and Bluetooth

-I have tried rebooting iPhone, deleting Carplay set up and starting over etc. to no avail.

-I went to the bmw.com/update to download any new software by my VIN. Then when attempting to install that update via USB drive, the car says the update is not valid for my vehicle.

Have you been able to try it with another phone just to rule that out? Even though your phone works ok with Audi play, doesn't mean that it might not have an issue with the BMW Car play.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
SoCal_M2
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

You might want to restart your phone. And then forget the connection and the-sync. That worked for me on my LCI M2
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMonkey View Post

My iPhone X worked fine in my M2 with CarPlay.
      09-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

OP, sorry to hear you're having issues. No issues at all for my connection. Couldn't live without Apple CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
plastus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 Competition

I drove my car from the dealership today back home (~155 miles). The only thing I noticed with the Carplay was that my iPhone X was almost burning hot after taking it off the wireless charger and iOS was stuttering/laggy until I turned off the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #7
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastus View Post
I drove my car from the dealership today back home (~155 miles). The only thing I noticed with the Carplay was that my iPhone X was almost burning hot after taking it off the wireless charger and iOS was stuttering/laggy until I turned off the car.
Were you in a poor coverage area? It amps up the radio to get a better signal and gets rather hot, especially with maps but it depends what other comm services you had running. From my experience I’d imagine that’s pretty common in the US.

Otherwise it’s likely an errant installation service in iOS that didn’t close gracefully. Just power down the iPhone and power it back up to fix that.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 01:28 AM   #8
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
It's the inductive charging. It's clear bmw's plate is inefficient and is discharging most of the energy in the form of heat rather than charge. You'll probably see that the charge rate is extremely slow as well. Slower than the inductive charger you may have in your home.
      09-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
plastus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Were you in a poor coverage area? It amps up the radio to get a better signal and gets rather hot, especially with maps but it depends what other comm services you had running. From my experience I’d imagine that’s pretty common in the US.

Otherwise it’s likely an errant installation service in iOS that didn’t close gracefully. Just power down the iPhone and power it back up to fix that.
Good point, I was driving on I-87 South coming from Albany, NY so reception with T-Mobile was pretty spotty. My phone gets lukewarm when on my home inductive charger but after the nearly 3 hour trip in the M2C my iPhone felt like a hot potato.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Astounds me there is no android auto in a car of this price range..
chris7197273.00
      09-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #11
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
That would be sort like having vinyl seats and shag pile carpet. Maybe it will come as a package.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #12
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
That would be sort like having vinyl seats and shag pile carpet. Maybe it will come as a package.
Oooohhhhhh... buuurrrrnnnnn!

I feel the same, but didn't have the guts to say so.

Let's definitely start an Apple versus Android internet flame war.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #13
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Oooohhhhhh... buuurrrrnnnnn!

I feel the same, but didn't have the guts to say so.

Let's definitely start an Apple versus Android internet flame war.
LOL

My parents are constant phone users now that they switched to iphones. They're both 70. Just goes to show how easy and intuitive they are to use.

Last edited by warrenw; 09-09-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

I have a work phone as an iPhone and a personal phone as an android. Both have their purposes. iPhone is inferior in technology/versatility but excels in simplicity/bad battery. lol
      04-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #15
JMR1385
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Looks like I'm about to bring this thread back from the dead.

I've had my car a little over a week now, and once I FINALLY got my iPhone to connect to CarPlay it worked well for about 2 days. Now, it won't auto connect. I have to go in, delete the car from my phone and delete my phone from the car and start all over. It will connect and work well until I turn off the car, then I have to start all over. And now it won't connect period. It just says connection can't be established and to try again later.

The Bluetooth function works like a charm so it's not the end of the world or anything, just annoying that it doesn't work.

If anyone has had similar experiences or knows what's wrong or what I'm doing wrong I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #16
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR1385 View Post
Looks like I'm about to bring this thread back from the dead.

I've had my car a little over a week now, and once I FINALLY got my iPhone to connect to CarPlay it worked well for about 2 days. Now, it won't auto connect. I have to go in, delete the car from my phone and delete my phone from the car and start all over. It will connect and work well until I turn off the car, then I have to start all over. And now it won't connect period. It just says connection can't be established and to try again later.

The Bluetooth function works like a charm so it's not the end of the world or anything, just annoying that it doesn't work.

If anyone has had similar experiences or knows what's wrong or what I'm doing wrong I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Thanks!
Try removing the pairings from phone and car, and try again.
      04-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #17
lengrenjt
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, Q7

Both iphoneX and iphone11 pro work well with my M2C. You might want to forget the car in CarPlay setting and start over the setup again.
Appreciate 1
JMR138555.00
      04-07-2020, 05:40 PM   #18
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Remember your phone uses both the wifi as well as bluetooth to use carplay. Check how many devices are saved on your iphone for bluetooth. Try to clear some out that you may not use anymore. If you really need to, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This clears all network settings and saved Cache so you can connect back to wifi networks and bluetooth devices as if your phone was straight out of the box.
Appreciate 1
JMR138555.00
      04-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #19
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

lol, I have a Note 10+ so I'm SOL.

But eh, I basically just have Spotify up on the infotainment screen and am happy with that.

Too busy shifting gears to fiddle with Android Auto anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #20
nexusonemeover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY20 F87 LBB 6mt

Frequently, on selecting CarPlay from the iDrive screen, nothing happens. I have to restart the phone for it to connect. Blame Apple?

**iPhone 11 Pro Max
      04-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #21
brandontrek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, S54 E36/8 M Coupe, X5d

We have 4 M2C's in our group of friends and we have come to a few conclusions about carplay and the wireless chargers:

Carplay works best on iPhone X and above. Iphone 8 is insanely buggy

Wireless charging is only useful as a phone heater. Useless at charging the phone.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #22
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

dealer replaced my module since they scanned and saw errors. replaced under warranty. head tech at the dealer told me that it is quicker to replace the module than to scan the unit for codes.
Appreciate 0