BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Feels Slower After Intake Install

04-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #1
JMR1385
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Feels Slower After Intake Install

Hey everyone, I posted this in a preexisting Intake thread also, but wanted to run it up the ladder a little bit.

*Disclaimer: I wasn't expecting the car to feel faster with an intake, I just wanted turbo noise .

Intake system came today. Install was pretty simple, except when you drop a socket head down to the floor pan, finally get it out, and 10 minutes later drop a bolt down there, and have to fish it out too.

Took it on a spin around the block real quick and the turbos sound great, can really hear them spool. As an added bonus it even adds a little BOV woosh also.

So here's the issue. I don't feel like it's boosting as strong as it was. Maybe I'm just getting used to it or maybe...maybe it's something I did. I had a difficult time tightening down the O clamps around the silicon hose on the turbo inlet. I've already checked to make sure the hose didn't come off, and she's still on there. My question is, if those O clamps aren't significantly tightened could I be losing boost around the silicone hose? Would it throw a code if there was a "boost leak" of sorts? Don't get me wrong it's still pulling pretty dang good, but it just feels a tad bit off. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Anyone who has done this on any car will always remove it. There is usually a brief period of placebo. Followed by realisation. Then removal. I may have been guilty of this in a past life
Appreciate 3
ChrisK4449.00
Tag17910.00
tom @ eas8056.00
      04-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR1385 View Post
Hey everyone, I posted this in a preexisting Intake thread also, but wanted to run it up the ladder a little bit.

*Disclaimer: I wasn't expecting the car to feel faster with an intake, I just wanted turbo noise .

Intake system came today. Install was pretty simple, except when you drop a socket head down to the floor pan, finally get it out, and 10 minutes later drop a bolt down there, and have to fish it out too.

Took it on a spin around the block real quick and the turbos sound great, can really hear them spool. As an added bonus it even adds a little BOV woosh also.

So here's the issue. I don't feel like it's boosting as strong as it was. Maybe I'm just getting used to it or maybe...maybe it's something I did. I had a difficult time tightening down the O clamps around the silicon hose on the turbo inlet. I've already checked to make sure the hose didn't come off, and she's still on there. My question is, if those O clamps aren't significantly tightened could I be losing boost around the silicone hose? Would it throw a code if there was a "boost leak" of sorts? Don't get me wrong it's still pulling pretty dang good, but it just feels a tad bit off. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone!
The intake is ahead of the turbos so its impossible to have a boost leak, since the boost is only built up after the turbine and into the chargepipe.

You could have a small air leak which means that unmetered air is entering the turbo post the air flow meter. The engine would then be running lean and lose power as it thinks it getting X air but really its X +% and the fuel is only for X air.

You could have fed up the air flow meter as some oiled filters are known to do, although this seems to be less common nowadays.

As Davil said hot air intakes are not worth the cash. The stock system flows well enough for 800WHP according to a reputable S55 tuner near me.

If you want more noise and have a stock US spec car, then remove the charcoal filters.

EDIT: you can check if you have an air leak by idling the car and spraying carb cleaner/WD40/break cleaner near the turbo connections. If the revs pick up then you have a leak.
      04-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
JMR1385
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

The intake is ahead of the turbos so its impossible to have a boost leak, since the boost is only built up after the turbine and into the chargepipe.

You could have a small air leak which means that unmetered air is entering the turbo post the air flow meter. The engine would then be running lean and lose power as it thinks it getting X air but really its X +% and the fuel is only for X air.

You could have fed up the air flow meter as some oiled filters are known to do, although this seems to be less common nowadays.

As Davil said hot air intakes are not worth the cash. The stock system flows well enough for 800WHP according to a reputable S55 tuner near me.

If you want more noise and have a stock US spec car, then remove the charcoal filters.
Thank you.

I'll try to get those tightened down a bit more, just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
JMR1385
Private
Rep

What about disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, and letting the ECU reset? Yay, nay, maybe?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Which intake did you install? I've got the Eventuri intake and car doesn't feel slower. Sure sounds like something is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #7
JMR1385
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Which intake did you install? I've got the Eventuri intake and car doesn't feel slower. Sure sounds like something is leaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post

CTS Turbo. Much cheaper option, but I'm not knocking the quality. It's just not a full carbon system like yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Now that we are all quarantined you have time to take it off and drive it around. If the car feels faster, albeit quieter, then you know it's the Intake.
      04-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
JMR1385
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Now that we are all quarantined you have time to take it off and drive it around. If the car feels faster, albeit quieter, then you know it's the Intake.
Definitely my next option if tightening down those O clamps more doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Full disclosure, there are no bypass or blow off valves on the S55. It's all dumped through the wastegate/exhaust

As other recommended maybe just to make sure everything is tight and seated correctly. Hopefully that'll solve it.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      04-07-2020, 01:16 PM   #11
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Could also be adaptations not quiet settled in with the new intake. Give it a day or two of driving.
Appreciate 1
JMR138555.00
      04-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
JMR1385
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Full disclosure, there are no bypass or blow off valves on the S55. It's all dumped through the wastegate/exhaust

As other recommended maybe just to make sure everything is tight and seated correctly. Hopefully that'll solve it.
Didn't know that. But it still sounds like it.
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      04-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #13
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
My old Celica All trac didn't have a BOV either, but one time a hose clamp wasn't tightened down properly and it made HUGE BOV esque sounds when i tried to drive it. It would also dump way too much fuel into the engine and slow everything down when it hit boost.

However, that was a hose clamp that was right before the intercooler on the high pressure side, not on the pre-turbo, low pressure side.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #14
JMR1385
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:
My old Celica All trac didn't have a BOV either, but one time a hose clamp wasn't tightened down properly and it made HUGE BOV esque sounds when i tried to drive it. It would also dump way too much fuel into the engine and slow everything down when it hit boost.

However, that was a hose clamp that was right before the intercooler on the high pressure side, not on the pre-turbo, low pressure side.
Yea this noise is for sure coming from the intake...sounds awesome (to me). Same noise when I put an intake on my Focus ST I had back in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #15
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
What about disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, and letting the ECU reset? Yay, nay, maybe?
No - try throttle body adaption reset
      04-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #16
JMR1385
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Quote:
Do you happen to have the latest edition of "Throttle Body Adaption Reset for Dummies" that I could borrow?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #17
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Quote:
Do you happen to have the latest edition of "Throttle Body Adaption Reset for Dummies" that I could borrow?
Google it mate
Megator517.50
      04-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #18
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1669584
Appreciate 1
JMR138555.00
      04-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #19
JMR1385
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Quote:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1669584
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:05 AM   #20
JMR1385
Private
Rep

Update: I took off the turbo inlet pipe and discovered one of the T clamps around the silicone hose was busted. I replaced both T clamps and feel pretty confident with how tight I was able to get them. I also did that throttle response reset thing and took it for a spin the next day.

Here's the part where I'll just fall on my sword. It was pulling good but still felt a bit off from what I had initially felt w the car. Turns out I had programmed my M buttons incorrectly and what I thought was Sport + was just Sport. Once I put it in Sport + she was back on track.

Sorry for the stupidity, but I'm glad to know it was user error!
Appreciate 8
Madmat50.00
pz6193274.00
cptobvious2531.50
Moflow2484.50
natmad667.00
Poffman493.00
      05-24-2022, 12:27 AM   #21
Teknolg
Rep
Drives: WTB - M2 Competition

Sorry to revive old thread but wondering if you kept the CTS intake and if so has there been any issues long term?