BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Odd Transmission Behavior

02-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
BigJRocksIt
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Odd Transmission Behavior

Howdy!

First BMW and first post to the forum. I'm still learning a bit, so apologies if I my question amateurish...

It's a 2020 M2C with DCT. I just had the 1200 mi service done and I'm starting to lean on the car a bit more. I've noticed that when I crank up the Drivelogic to it's fullest setting, sometimes (not all) the car will switch to sequential shift on it's own. This drives me crazy as I'm always having to be careful with it when I get on it. Is this normal? What am I missing here?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Turning up drive logic does not put it in manual mode. You have to bounce the lever to the right to shift it manually
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
BigJRocksIt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Turning up drive logic does not put it in manual mode. You have to bounce the lever to the right to shift it manually
Thanks, but that's the problem. The car is auto mode, and something throws it into manual shift sometimes when you turn up the drivelogic. Sometimes it stays in auto mode and others it doesn't.

It's a mystery to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

If you pull a paddle manual will take over.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
BigJRocksIt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
Sure, I get that part. This happens with just hands on the wheel. I'm taking it in tomorrow for some carbon install work. I'll ask while I'm there and see if the dealer knows.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJRocksIt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
Sure, I get that part. This happens with just hands on the wheel. I'm taking it in tomorrow for some carbon install work. I'll ask while I'm there and see if the dealer knows.
I have the older m2 so I don't have all the features on your m2c but is it possible you set your steering wheel M buttons to activate manual mode among other things?

Otherwise I would just tell BMW to reflash all the software under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #7
jenks.chris106
Jenkies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I, 2020 M2 Compet

Quote:
Howdy!

First BMW and first post to the forum. I'm still learning a bit, so apologies if I my question amateurish...

It's a 2020 M2C with DCT. I just had the 1200 mi service done and I'm starting to lean on the car a bit more. I've noticed that when I crank up the Drivelogic to it's fullest setting, sometimes (not all) the car will switch to sequential shift on it's own. This drives me crazy as I'm always having to be careful with it when I get on it. Is this normal? What am I missing here?
Mine does it too sometimes, wigs me out bc I notice when it over revs and doesn't auto shift.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
BigJRocksIt
Rep

Thanks for confirming.. I thought I was going crazy.

The dealer was going to sit me down with one of their techs to talk about the behavior, but the meeting didn't happen. I'm going to go back and reset all the M settings and make sure there's nothing funky there. I still feel that I have a very vanilla setup and there may be some unexpected behavior here.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
jenks.chris106
Jenkies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I, 2020 M2 Compet

Quote:
Thanks for confirming.. I thought I was going crazy.

The dealer was going to sit me down with one of their techs to talk about the behavior, but the meeting didn't happen. I'm going to go back and reset all the M settings and make sure there's nothing funky there. I still feel that I have a very vanilla setup and there may be some unexpected behavior here.
I've done zero mods or software stuff so I'm with you, I thought the same thing though "wtf is going on!"
Even had a friend drive it who drives an m4 and thought it was odd. The manual mentions it taking over when overreving but it often stays in manual at like 7k rpm and then I notice it's not in auto, very odd.
On that note, in full shift selection and sport plus, off the line is super jumpy in first, after first it pulls.... any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
BigJRocksIt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks.chris106 View Post
I've done zero mods or software stuff so I'm with you, I thought the same thing though "wtf is going on!"
Even had a friend drive it who drives an m4 and thought it was odd. The manual mentions it taking over when overreving but it often stays in manual at like 7k rpm and then I notice it's not in auto, very odd.
On that note, in full shift selection and sport plus, off the line is super jumpy in first, after first it pulls.... any ideas?
I get the same jumpy behavior as well. So weird. I see it pop up when I do the following: Throw it into Sport+ only, but drive easy on it, get to a stop light, give it a little gas and the car wants to jump. I've also seen it where I go into Sport+ with Drivelogic cranked up, get on it about 60% from a stop, and it jumps pretty hard there too.

I get that you're fully engaging the clutch(s), but the couple of times this has happened the car lurches pretty hard, almost unsafely.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:24 PM   #11
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Very odd ghost in the machine with the DCT switching into sequential from auto- hope u get that sorted.

As far as car being jumpy/twitching u might consider reset the the throttle adaptations? Just a thought:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=Reset
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
BigJRocksIt
Rep

Finally got some time with a Genius from the dealership and we walked through several potential causes of the transmission behavior.

The most probable is that I'm being told when you crank up the Drivelogic, have Sport+ engaged, AND have traction control turned off, the car will switch itself into sequential shift mode. He also mentioned some "extra level" of Drivelogic that gets engaged with the settings enabled, but I've never seen that. I know that the exhaust changes a bit as you stack different settings, but I'm not aware of a 4th level of Drivelogic.

I have never turned off TCS (I'm no hero), so I have a hard time buying this explanation of the behavior. I'm going to go and test and try to reproduce the issue based on what they say causes it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Finally got some time with a Genius from the dealership and we walked through several potential causes of the transmission behavior.

The most probable is that I'm being told when you crank up the Drivelogic, have Sport+ engaged, AND have traction control turned off, the car will switch itself into sequential shift mode. He also mentioned some "extra level" of Drivelogic that gets engaged with the settings enabled, but I've never seen that. I know that the exhaust changes a bit as you stack different settings, but I'm not aware of a 4th level of Drivelogic.

I have never turned off TCS (I'm no hero), so I have a hard time buying this explanation of the behavior. I'm going to go and test and try to reproduce the issue based on what they say causes it.

OP, the "genius" is almost certainly feeding you a line of bulls***. There is no extra level of Drivelogic. The transmission should NEVER change between automatic and manual shift modes. This would be a safety violation and a massive liability for BMW if this were somehow a "feature." Thus, the only other possibility would be that it is not a feature, but a bug. After nearly 2 years on this forum, I have not seen any other members cite this issue, nor any threads on this issue. This does not seem to be a widespread problem - in all my time on this forum, reading nearly every M2 and M2C post, yours is the only one I've come across citing this issue. That would seem to indicate that there's something wrong with your transmission, and the dealer should fix it under warranty.

Reminds me of a recent NPR Radiolab episode about cosmic rays randomly causing "bit flips" in electronic systems. It's a real phenomenon. But, the episode went on to then make the tenuous assertion that the whole Toyota "sudden acceleration" issue back in the early 2010's timeframe might also have been caused by cosmic rays... When I got to that part of the episode, I had to turn the radio off otherwise I would have had an aneurysm from apoplectic rage. No, the "Toyota sudden acceleration" issue is otherwise known as "I stepped on the gas pedal when I meant to step on the brake." EVERY SINGLE BLACK BOX recovered from every single Toyota with "sudden acceleration" issues, showed that the driver was stepping on the accelerator when they meant to step on the brake. But, in terms of catchy bulls***, you can't imagine a more compelling media story!

By the same token, when a BMW "genius" tells you that there's some "extra level" of Drivelogic, like it's some secret Easter egg in a video game that you can unlock if you hit the right combination of buttons... it sure does sound like catchy bulls*** to me!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

Tell them to demo the feature for you going to sequential. I call bullshit.

1st gear being jumpy is normal especially when the transmission is cold or you're going to an incline. It's possible yours is worse than normal but both my e90 m3 and m2 (n55) do the same thing to some degree. I just learn to drive around it by using creep mode (light tap gas) when car is cold pulling out of a space, and being more deliberate with throttle once I've pulled out into the street meaning applying enough throttle so the car doesn't slip the clutch and knows my intentions but not enough to be aggressive. Also I then shift to 2nd as soon as I'm able (like 2300 rpm I don't know). 2nd gear basically doesn't have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
BigJRocksIt
Rep

So, finally got some dry weather here and was able to test this a bit. And before I begin, I agree with everyone that this is likely BS from the dealer rep. I just came from a heavily modded supercharged Miata ND so I'm familiar with "quirks", but again, this is my first BMW and I'm still learning what's what.

Now, I am starting to agree that there is something not right with my M2. This morning I tested everything they said would activate the behavior I see, but they were wrong. What I did notice is this: this seems to happen more when coming out of reverse, but I was only able to reproduce it once. Noticing that behavior I did learn something new. That moving the shifter to the right twice will throw the car into Sequential mode. I wonder if there is something wonky with that sensor that every now and then it registers two clicks instead of one and throws it into Sequential. Also, after learning today (I'm slow, forgive me) that moving the shifter multiple times to the right switches between Auto and Sequential mode, I wonder if I'm doing this unknowingly. Coming from a manual Miata I would always jiggle the shifter to make sure I'm in neutral at stops. I don't think I'm doing that, but I've been driving a manual for a long time.

I'm going to take it in and have them test the shifter again to make sure it's solid. Thanks to everyone for helping and being open to listening. I came from a great Miata community and I'm happy to se this group is just as good.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 04:43 AM   #16
Pat Carroll
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R, now sold. BuyingM2C

Mode changing for no reason

I have the same problem where it changes to sequential mode from D, only noticed as the revs rise. It happened infrequently at first but is now more persistent. Car is Sept ‘18 but only 20k miles. How did you fare out in the end?
Appreciate 0