BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Trading up to a M2 Competition

01-28-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Trading up to a M2 Competition

Hello M2 types! thought you might appreciate my farewell to the M3/M4 crowd.....
Sorry guys, I'm out of here (for a while anyway) in my new M2. Why you say? Well, I'm tired of hearing most, if not all, of the automotive journalists fall over themselves about the M2, I just can't take it anymore! Superlative after bloody superlative about a cheaper and frankly not as good looking version of the M4, plus they stole our engine and put it in the M2 along with a bunch of suspension parts and braces, it's just not fair!! Not only that, the same automotive gurus have spouted nothing, or close to nothing, good about the M4, even in CS form it barely received any praise except "this is the way the M4 should have been" oh, wait, that was the competition M4 they said that about, the CS was "better" but tirades about the stupid cloth pull handles, lack of arm support and the astronomical price stole the glow....Oh, well, best of luck to you guys, maybe see you again when the new M4 (if it doesn't look like the drawings) comes out... In the meantime I have a slightly used set of M Performance Adjustable Suspension springs etc for sale, buzz me if your interested. Vancouver Canada.

Last edited by Ilikemike; 01-28-2020 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

My M4C sucked compared to my M2C. Don't care what others say, my M2C is faster cause it isn't a fat bloated pig.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Lol
Appreciate 1
Kamaan0.00
      01-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
My M4C sucked compared to my M2C. Don't care what others say, my M2C is faster cause it isn't a fat bloated pig.
I'm pretty sure my M2c is heavier than my M3 with carbon roof and Lithium battery.

Also the 788 wheels are heavier.

But for driving pleasure the M2c takes the cake.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
I'm pretty sure my M2c is heavier than my M3 with carbon roof and Lithium battery.

Also the 788 wheels are heavier.

But for driving pleasure the M2c takes the cake.
Maybe I should have said my M4C was bloated and TOO LONG. I don't know which one is actually heavier but my M2C feels faster. That is all that matters.
Appreciate 1
FreeDarko217.00
      01-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

The M4 is a great car. I'm really not sure how much you are going to gain by going to M2C.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      01-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #7
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
Hello M2 types! thought you might appreciate my farewell to the M3/M4 crowd.....
Sorry guys, I'm out of here (for a while anyway) in my new M2. Why you say? Well, I'm tired of hearing most, if not all, of the automotive journalists fall over themselves about the M2, I just can't take it anymore! Superlative after bloody superlative about a cheaper and frankly not as good looking version of the M4, plus they stole our engine and put it in the M2 along with a bunch of suspension parts and braces, it's just not fair!! Not only that, the same automotive gurus have spouted nothing, or close to nothing, good about the M4, even in CS form it barely received any praise except "this is the way the M4 should have been" oh, wait, that was the competition M4 they said that about, the CS was "better" but tirades about the stupid cloth pull handles, lack of arm support and the astronomical price stole the glow....Oh, well, best of luck to you guys, maybe see you again when the new M4 (if it doesn't look like the drawings) comes out... In the meantime I have a slightly used set of M Performance Adjustable Suspension springs etc for sale, buzz me if your interested. Vancouver Canada.
You should trade up to the OG M2. They sound better and weigh less than the Comp.
Appreciate 2
Fedorov162.00
lax01792.50
      01-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
The M4 is a great car. I'm really not sure how much you are going to gain by going to M2C.
My Lease is over.....All the above is tongue in cheek.. :-)
Waiting for the New 718 GTS (6 cyl), C8 Z06 or the G82 (if it's not too ugly)
Having said that, all of the above is true in terms of reviewers opinions and engineering changes, and in fact, for me, the M2 is a blast to drive!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Of course the M4 is a great car!!!
Just depends on what an individual values: Interior quality, tech, HUD, weight, power, CF roof...etc.

Earlier I said the M4 was a pig and too heavy. I actually consider it a pig because it is TOO LONG and drives that way.

A shorter / smaller car is the sweet spot for me. Only purchased my M4 because I was #23 on the M2 wait list. Finally got into a M2C and couldn't be happier.

Decide what you value and buy that
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:27 PM   #10
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

the m4 is just too big but it has power. now if you put that power into a smaller wheelbase its just going to be better right. the m2 is for the cheaper car buyer. the one who doesn't care about the m4 luxuries but want to have to same performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:45 PM   #11
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
the m2 is for the cheaper car buyer. the one who doesn't care about the m4 luxuries but want to have to same performance.
Could you define "M4 luxuries"?

When we were looking at cars (and price wasn't an issue-- I could easily afford either), my wife really didn't care for the M4 and I agreed with her. BIG car (I'm not sure it would fit in my garage), expensive, and neither of us were particularly enthused with the look. Both of us gravitated to the M2C pretty much independently.

Admittedly, my M2C just entered production yesterday so I haven't lived with it, but I'm curious as to what you consider it lacking in luxuries.

(Well, I'll admit that the sun visors are pretty plain.)

Not flaming at all-- I'm just curious-- I can't really think of anything that the M2C is lacking that I'd want.

(Except maybe the CS's Adaptive Suspension.)

R.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #12
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I ordered a 2015 M3 6-spd and by a year into my lease I was pretty bored. The tuning of the S55 was poor, full boost down low which upset the chassis and was boring to rev out. Additionally the adaptive suspension and steering just didn't impress me, should had waited for a M3C.

Nonetheless, after 18 months I had someone else assume my 3 year lease. I can tell you the M2C is WAY more fun than my M3 was. In LA I found the M3 a bit too large on some canyon roads and the huge bulge in the hood made it harder to see the road in front of me.

I never was really motivated to go out for canyon drives in the M3 but I'm always excited to drive the M2C...the big difference being size not so much weight. It just reacts so much quicker and is simply more fun. The tuning of the S55 in the M2C is far better also, you need to rev it out and the boost is better "throttled" for lack of better words. Lastly, I find the suspension and steering much better sorted and capable. I've owned quite a few M cars (E36 M3, Z3 M Coupe, E46 M3, F80 M3 among lots of non-M BMW's) and the M2C is definitely one of my favorites along with the Z3 M Coupe.

Last edited by windnsea00; 01-31-2020 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
Ilikemike250.50
Tiss'er78.50
      01-31-2020, 02:07 PM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Quote:
the m2 is for the cheaper car buyer. the one who doesn't care about the m4 luxuries but want to have to same performance.

When we were looking at cars (and price wasn't an issue-- I could easily afford either), my wife really didn't care for the M4 and I agreed with her. BIG car (I'm not sure it would fit in my garage), expensive, and neither of us were particularly enthused with the look. Both of us gravitated to the M2C pretty much independently.

Admittedly, my M2C just entered production yesterday so I haven't lived with it, but I'm curious as to what you consider it lacking in luxuries.

Not flaming at all-- I'm just curious-- I can't really think of anything that the M2C is lacking that I'd want.

R.
I mean the leather quality isn't nice, and it doesn't have a HUD. I wish climate control could be sync'd. Other than that it's not missing much.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
M4 has nicer leather, wet CF trim, better door panels, better dash (I think), adaptive suspension option, etc. Those are just a few that come to mind. The speakers are probably better, as the default speaker setup in the M2C is horrible.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #15
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I mean the leather quality isn't nice, and it doesn't have a HUD. I wish climate control could be sync'd. Other than that it's not missing much.
Fair enough-- although that's a pretty big price jump for those few things.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 02:57 AM   #16
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Quote:

R.
Quote:
Quote:

R.
The m4 felt like a grand tourer. The m2 is a small sports car. The m4 can be spec'ed much nicer. More exterior and interior color choices. Cf roof standard. More options. Generally felt like a more luxurious car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Fair enough-- although that's a pretty big price jump for those few things.
There's more stuff, just not anything I care about really.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #18
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Every time I see a M4, I'm like "DAMN that's a big car"
Appreciate 0