BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Anyone running AA Single to Dinan Muffler?

07-27-2023, 09:16 AM   #1
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Anyone running AA Single to Dinan Muffler?

I have the Dinan X pipe and muffler on now, otherwise stock. I've seen a few people with AA EL and Dinan, but not the single. Is anyone running this? Have any videos? Bonus points for resonated. Also, how did you make up the diameter difference between AA and Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 09:38 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sub'd

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 08:16 AM   #3
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Did you see this?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1844301

I got both from the only and only Mikemike@x-ph.com …very happy with the outcome
      07-28-2023, 09:28 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Did you see this?

I got both from the only and only Mikemike@x-ph.com …very happy with the outcome

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 10:05 AM   #5
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
I have the Dinan X pipe and muffler on now, otherwise stock. I've seen a few people with AA EL and Dinan, but not the single. Is anyone running this? Have any videos? Bonus points for resonated. Also, how did you make up the diameter difference between AA and Dinan?
Use the thread I linked above, pictures and everything …EL or not, at the end it is just pipes, so in your case, you only need a single reducer welded for the AA- Dinan transition.

Bam.
      07-28-2023, 10:12 AM   #6
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you see this?

I read that post a while ago an forgot about the details you had in there. Thanks for reminding me. Stupid me, I was just in Dallas for a week and didn't hit you up for a sound sampling. Maybe next time.

If I understand your write up, in the attached picture, the portions in blue you took from the stock exhaust, the portions in red your shop fabbed to make up the 65mm to 70mm difference? In theory, if I wanted to leave the stock exhaust alone, I could scavenge these sections from the Dinan Xpipe and move the 65/70 make up section upstream?

Also, whatever happened to your resonated vids?

Here's my predicament, I came from an M235i with a Fabspeed sportcat and MPE. I was very happy with the sound. We all know about the stock s55 sound. With the Dinan muffler and Xpipe, I think it sounds really good from the outside. Sounds better than stock inside, but not nearly as good as outside. I've heard a few EL/Dinan setups and like them. I haven't heard Single mid/Dinan. So I'm trying to decide between EL/Single with the Dinan and also trying to decide if either AA mid will make that much of a difference over the Dinan muffler/Xpipe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 03:43 PM   #7
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Double bonus question, are the mid pipe sections the same between the M2 and M3/4? Is the length difference only made up in the connecting pipes?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 10:50 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Double bonus question, are the mid pipe sections the same between the M2 and M3/4? Is the length difference only made up in the connecting pipes?
the midpipe length is different

Appreciate 1
stlb5220.00
      07-29-2023, 07:46 PM   #9
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I read that post a while ago an forgot about the details you had in there. Thanks for reminding me. Stupid me, I was just in Dallas for a week and didn't hit you up for a sound sampling. Maybe next time.

If I understand your write up, in the attached picture, the portions in blue you took from the stock exhaust, the portions in red your shop fabbed to make up the 65mm to 70mm difference? In theory, if I wanted to leave the stock exhaust alone, I could scavenge these sections from the Dinan Xpipe and move the 65/70 make up section upstream?

Also, whatever happened to your resonated vids?

Here's my predicament, I came from an M235i with a Fabspeed sportcat and MPE. I was very happy with the sound. We all know about the stock s55 sound. With the Dinan muffler and Xpipe, I think it sounds really good from the outside. Sounds better than stock inside, but not nearly as good as outside. I've heard a few EL/Dinan setups and like them. I haven't heard Single mid/Dinan. So I'm trying to decide between EL/Single with the Dinan and also trying to decide if either AA mid will make that much of a difference over the Dinan muffler/Xpipe.
No_curebimmer any insight?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 09:35 AM   #10
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No_curebimmer any insight?
No.

Red- reducer provided by muffler shop

Blue - came w/ AA EL, but I guess you could use pieces from stock exhaust

You’re overthinking it, any decent performance muffler shop will sort this out in 1-2 hrs tops, so don’t bother with clamps and the likes, you’ll need welding if you want solid connections w/o leaks.

Also, I would not cut Dinan x-pipe to fabricate the reducers, the muffler shop should have plenty. I sold my X-pipe
      07-30-2023, 09:40 AM   #11
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes you have that correct - any decent performance muffler shop will sort this out in 1-2 hrs tops, so don’t bother with clamps and the likes, you’ll need welding if you want solid connections w/o leaks.

Also, I would not cut Dinan x-pipe to fabricate the reducers, the muffler shop should have plenty. I sold my X-pipe
I meant use the x-pipe to take advantage of the hanger points and leave the stock exhaust while so I can put it back on should I ever sell the car.

I’m leaning back toward the EL after rewatching your vids. Do you still have any clips from when you had the resonators on?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 10:18 AM   #12
m2c_drew
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Just chiming in.. I’ve also been interested in running this setup. Thicwhip ran a very similar setup on his m4gts but used catless dps. I was very fond of the sound and am hoping for something similar for me in the future. Are you planning on following through with it?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 01:03 PM   #13
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2c_drew View Post
Just chiming in.. I’ve also been interested in running this setup. Thicwhip ran a very similar setup on his m4gts but used catless dps. I was very fond of the sound and am hoping for something similar for me in the future. Are you planning on following through with it?
I saw his vids. A bit hard to get a real taste since he's a burble guy. I'm definitely leaning toward a resonated EL mid to pair to my Dinan. I'd really like to hear a resonated single mid.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 01:26 PM   #14
m2c_drew
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Definitely something I’m considering as well. Just sucks you can’t buy the free flow axle back without the x pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 08:22 PM   #15
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2c_drew View Post
Definitely something I’m considering as well. Just sucks you can’t buy the free flow axle back without the x pipe.
I still think you’ll want part of it for the hanger points. Pretty sure No_curebimmer ‘s shop used his stock exhaust section for the hangers. Makes more sense to me to use the xpipe section so you can put the stock exhaust back on if you needed to.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 10:40 PM   #16
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I still think you’ll want part of it for the hanger points. Pretty sure No_curebimmer ‘s shop used his stock exhaust section for the hangers. Makes more sense to me to use the xpipe section so you can put the stock exhaust back on if you needed to.
Did you thoroughly read the thread I made/linked where I journeyed my full Dinan install or just looked at the pictures? I mentioned it there and above, but will repeat to minimize confusion…I did not use Dinan x-pipe (I sold it separately on its own) nor any piece from the OE exhaust. The Xpipe is too long and will encroach/extend into the EL (or single) portion since the Dinan setup retains BOTH sets of cats.

I initially had the AA EL mated to the OE muffler. Even from the picture you pasted, you can see the difference between the colour and dimensions of the 2 pipes. OE muffler (oldest), AA EL (newer) and Dinan (newest and largest diameter) will all look different due to age. But you can only see 2 as I ditched the OE muffler…must have been twice as heavy as the Dinan axle back. The section you highlighted in blue came from the AA EL.

You could either order that connecting piece from AA or you could cut your OE exhaust

Sorry not trying to be snarky, but if you read all the posts I made in that thread, I’m certain your install questions should be answered.
      08-02-2023, 11:14 PM   #17
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
a resonated EL mid to pair to my Dinan. I'd really like to hear a resonated single mid.
Note that AA resonators are very good at their task, extremely efficient in removing the rasp. I temporarily had them installed , but removed them after ~ 1 month. With the resonators, the exhaust was SUPER CLEAN, zero rasp, very grown up. My only concern was that they also diminished the dB levels quite a bit, and thus the car became noticeably less raucous.

My M2C is a toy and not my daily, so I need excitement whenever I get to drive it.
      08-03-2023, 06:12 AM   #18
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Sorry not trying to be snarky, but if you read all the posts I made in that thread, I’m certain your install questions should be answered.
I’m not trying to be snarky either, just trying to understand. I understand everything you’re saying, except the part in blue with the hanger. Every picture I’ve seen, everything on AA’s website, and every video show that AA does not supply the hanger part. Stefan’s video shows this well too. https://youtu.be/zqFseLQ1ao4

For the M3/M4, there does appear to be a hanger on the connecting pipe, but not on the M2 version.

I understand you didn’t use any part of the Xpipe, I’m saying I think it would make sense to cut the xpipe for this missing hanger section so I could have a dedicated AA/Dinan exhaust (no OEM hanger section) and this way my OEM exhaust would remain intact and easier to swap back in if needed.

Now, if I’m completely wrong and AA does have a hanger section, cool! I just haven’t seen it but that would be ideal and I’d happily add it to my order.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 06:17 AM   #19
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Note that AA resonators are very good at their task, extremely efficient in removing the rasp. I temporarily had them installed , but removed them after ~ 1 month. With the resonators, the exhaust was SUPER CLEAN, zero rasp, very grown up. My only concern was that they also diminished the dB levels quite a bit, and thus the car became noticeably less raucous.

My M2C is a toy and not my daily, so I need excitement whenever I get to drive it.
Makes sense. Mine is a daily. Yours is the best sounding S55 out there. Your sound clips are what made me want the Dinan/AA setup. I guess the question would be, for the non-res setup, is it grown up enough in efficient mode to get the best of both worlds?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 09:57 AM   #20
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’m saying I think it would make sense to cut the xpipe for this missing hanger section so I could have a dedicated AA/Dinan exhaust (no OEM hanger section) and this way my OEM exhaust would remain intact and easier to swap back in if needed.
Ahh, gotcha, that makes sense if you want to retain integrity of the OE exhaust. I don’t have enough storage space to keep exhaust parts, so I had to resort to selling (xpipe) or ditching (oe). The OE exhaust barely sells for scrap metal…

I would reach out to Mikemike@x-ph.com re: AA connecting pieces. He is a treasure to this community, a wealth of knowledge…always helpful in providing advice to anyone needing it (as well as super competitive prices).
      08-03-2023, 10:02 AM   #21
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I guess the question would be, for the non-res setup, is it grown up enough in efficient mode to get the best of both worlds?
Certainly in the efficient mode…the S or S+ is where the burbles and rasping come into play.

IMO, the best way to make an S55 sound ‘grown up’ is to remove the burbles…via BimmerLink or a tune (if your Bosch DME is old enough to not be locked).

I use MHD and ‘zeroed out’ burbles. Couldn’t be happier
      08-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #22
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Certainly in the efficient mode…the S or S+ is where the burbles and rasping come into play.

IMO, the best way to make an S55 sound ‘grown up’ is to remove the burbles…via BimmerLink or a tune (if your Bosch DME is old enough to not be locked).

I use MHD and ‘zeroed out’ burbles. Couldn’t be happier

Totally agree. I've had burbles off since day 1. You lose all of the great "wind down" sound when you come off the throttle. I'm running Enabled's tune and used his "unlock kit". Kept burbles off in all modes.

So, I'm still torn on res vs non-res. I think I'm leaning toward res since I don't want a peep of rasp. But, I don't hear any rasp in your vids and it sounds fantastic.
Appreciate 0