BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - New England > looking to purchase an M2 (first time M owner)

01-28-2023, 04:38 PM   #1
lukenes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 s2000, soon to add m2

looking to purchase an M2 (first time M owner)

Hey guys, I currently own a 2007 s2000, but have a 2 year old. I am looking to add a car to the stable that I can use with the family but still have a unique experience.

I have narrowed my search down to a 2018 lci m2, with manual trans.

I’m looking for any tips on things to look out for, and potentially anyone near by that would allow a ride along. My main concern is the ride quality for my wife, who can be slightly picky.

Located near Littleton ma, but will happily drive.

Attached a picture of my S, it won’t be going anywhere
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-28-2023, 08:36 PM   #2
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
The N55 engine in an ‘18 M2 LCI is a well-sorted engine platform with many years of revisions for reliability baked in. The engine’s weak points are well-known and well-documented by now. Here’s a good intro to the most common things to watch out for:
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/the-definit...specs-upgrades

The rear diff on these cars is reportedly somewhat fragile. So ensure that maintenance (including, but not limited to diff fluid swaps) was performed on schedule.

Beyond that, a car report from AutoCheck/CarFax/CarVertical and a pre-purchase inspection at a trusted dealership or indy shop are tried-and-true options for any M2 you might consider.

Good luck with your search! I was in your position — though, coming from a Subaru WRX, not an S2000 — just about a year ago, so I’ve been in your shoes!
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16543.50
      01-29-2023, 09:20 PM   #3
twolegittwoquit
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible

I probably would’ve seriously considered an S2000 if I didn’t have kids. I hear they’re a blast!

I just bought a used ‘18 M2 lci manual last fall. Absolutely love it and daily drive it. My six and eight year olds fit in the back easily. As far as I can tell it may be the perfect option at its price point if you need back seats.

Regarding comfort…. I also had a wrx, we have a Mazda cx9, have had a mini, m235i vert…. I think the seats in this are really comfortable. The suspension isn’t what I’d call harsh, but it’s stiff. The m235i’s adaptive suspension in comfort was noticeable softer…. But the M2 seats seem more comfortable. It’s not fun on broken roads in MA, but on decent roads I don’t find it bad at all.

Highway…. I’ve taken it on two road trips. It has an aftermarket exhaust, so that’s part of the equation, but this isn’t the most quietest cruiser (again, knew that going into it and doesn’t bother me). I have a manual transmission and at 80 it’s turning at about 3k rpm. There’s definitely no over drive!

The above link that jefe2000 mentioned is a great recap. Oil leaks at higher mileage in either the valve cover gasket or oil filter housing can happen, and while they do cost a bit to fix, they’re not outrageous and you like only need to do this once in 100k? From what I understand. You can also clearly see if it’s leaking from either of those places. What WILL happen is a charge pipe failure at some point. I had an m235i and my buddy has an m135i (both n55 engines similar to the m2), both around 30 or 40k miles, and both had cracked charge pipes. Again, not wild to fix… If you get a car that’s not super low mileage consider just replacing it preemptively. Seems to be the only thing that’s almost a gaurantee you have to do. Spend 200 on a metal replacement and 200 in labor (or swap yourself) and never worry again. Not the end of the world if it cracks but the car will go to limp mode.

As far as the good stuff…. This thing has torque for days. I imagine it will feel the opposite of your s2000. It’s… playful. If you want it to be. This is the first car I’ve owned where I can’t just mash the throttle all the time…. If you really go for it in sport plus this will let you step the rear end out in 1st or 2nd. But also, the traction control and LSD seem to make it controllable. Not to say that it doesn’t have grip or can’t put the power down, but it’s playful of you really want it to be (comfort mode pulls power and really won’t let you lose). I daily drive mine with winter tires and feel very confident in everything other than truly snowy roads.

This car puts a smile on my face literally every time I drive it. The engine may not scream like the s2000, but the power and torque curve, the LSD, and the looks…. I intend on keeping this for at least ten years or longer… as long as it lasts. It’s track capable, comfortable enough for daily drives around town, fits the kids…. If you want track capable tier sports car with rear seats I don’t know what else could be this fun for 40-50k.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      02-15-2023, 06:57 PM   #4
lukenes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 s2000, soon to add m2

Thanks for the responses guys! I ended up purchasing a 2018 lci manual m2, with executive packacke, sunroof, and factory blacked out accents/grill. 39k miles!

Love the car and couldn’t be happier with it
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
(K)1278.00
      02-15-2023, 07:35 PM   #5
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Nice, hope to see you around on my drives out to your neck of the woods!
Appreciate 0