BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Searched with no luck. Different brake compound F and R

02-23-2023, 10:38 AM   #1
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Searched with no luck. Different brake compound F and R

My search didn't produce a definitive result. Seems like the M3/m4 crow will more often use different compounds front and rear. M2 crowd seems to run the same compound more often on front and rear. If you are running Carbotech or Gloc track pads are you running the same compound all around or not? I called Gloc and they recommended different compounds front and rear. I'm concerned that this is the standard answer. My car on the stock pads was very well balanced on track with no rear end wiggle under hard braking. I want to maintain this behavior. I would think that keeping the same compound all the way around would do this?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1384035

Seems like it's maybe not good for M2. Mustang and Corvette folks do it frequently.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1684219&page=2

Essex seems to strongly recommend same compound with their brakes.

I don't see a lot of real world (members on this site) posting their experience of both scenarios.

Last edited by medphysdave; 02-23-2023 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 09:45 PM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Never felt the need to run different compounds F/R on any of the F8x. Never have I felt the balance needed to be addressed - OEM setups, AP bbks, street, hpde, racing - any of those. Never hurts to experiment though but would keep the compounds and characteristics pretty close. The M2 wiggle imo is better addressed with braking coding and a good suspension with proper springs rates & dampening (for a good weight transfer). DSC can promote it as well if you are comfortable turning it completely off.

That being said - I think the reason some companies are good with different compounds and others prefer not to is the difference in their offerings. G Loc and Carbotech have a few different options in their “track” line while Essex has two main pad choices for the track. Nothing wrong with either approach definitely not trying to imply one as a negative. I have been through many sets of both 1.11s and 3.12s and they are both excellent pads. Excellent performance and fade resistance - never felt braking to be unbalanced with either pad. I would definitely not recommend staggering the two though - their bite characteristics are too different. With the 3.12’s considerably higher initial bite if you were running 1.11s in the rear I would think you would put too much of the responsibility on the front. So with no in between wouldn’t make sense to recommend staggering. That being said they are my favorite pads and there is no need to run different compounds with either. Yes I’m a dealer but I ran their AP kits and Ferodo pads successfully long before I opened a shop. I pursued becoming a dealer because I believe in their products. With the other two you mention they have a few more options with smaller incremental steps between the compounds. If you feel like experimenting with staggering compounds this definitely would be the direction I would go.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:39 AM   #3
D.Yooras
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY18

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My search didn't produce a definitive result. Seems like the M3/m4 crow will more often use different compounds front and rear. M2 crowd seems to run the same compound more often on front and rear. If you are running Carbotech or Gloc track pads are you running the same compound all around or not? I called Gloc and they recommended different compounds front and rear. I'm concerned that this is the standard answer. My car on the stock pads was very well balanced on track with no rear end wiggle under hard braking. I want to maintain this behavior. I would think that keeping the same compound all the way around would do this?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1384035

Seems like it's maybe not good for M2. Mustang and Corvette folks do it frequently.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1684219&page=2

Essex seems to strongly recommend same compound with their brakes.

I don't see a lot of real world (members on this site) posting their experience of both scenarios.
Depends on factory brake bias and usage. When racing Spec Miata we would run Hawk DTC60 front and rear on the NA (early 90s). On the NB (99-00) we would run DTC60 in the front and DTC30 in the rear because the brake bias is too much to the rear causing the rear to lock up, even sometimes with the DTC30.

Best way to approach brakes, start with the front/rear the same compound until you find a compound that work well for your driving style and usage. Then, if you find you need more/less on a given axle go up or down a compound on that axle.

If you're not sure, safe bet is to go one compound down on the rear axle until your comfortable with it. Then go to the same compound in the rear. Just depends on the car.

Side note, Carbotech/GLoc pads are ENTIRELY different from Hawk DTC pads. I ran DTC pads for years, tried GLoc pads and hated them so much I took the off on Saturday so I could go back to the Hawk pads on Sunday. At least on the Miata, they were a mushy, had hardly any feedback (especially at the limit), and required an excessive amount of force to brake aggressively.

Brake pad compounds have a LOT to do with driving style though, ran with plenty of other people that were fast that swore by, and did well with, Carbotech/GLoc pads.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      02-24-2023, 07:18 AM   #4
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go the square route. I like the balance of the car with it's current bias.
      02-24-2023, 07:49 PM   #5
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Yooras View Post
Depends on factory brake bias and usage. When racing Spec Miata we would run Hawk DTC60 front and rear on the NA (early 90s). On the NB (99-00) we would run DTC60 in the front and DTC30 in the rear because the brake bias is too much to the rear causing the rear to lock up, even sometimes with the DTC30.

Best way to approach brakes, start with the front/rear the same compound until you find a compound that work well for your driving style and usage. Then, if you find you need more/less on a given axle go up or down a compound on that axle.

If you're not sure, safe bet is to go one compound down on the rear axle until your comfortable with it. Then go to the same compound in the rear. Just depends on the car.

Side note, Carbotech/GLoc pads are ENTIRELY different from Hawk DTC pads. I ran DTC pads for years, tried GLoc pads and hated them so much I took the off on Saturday so I could go back to the Hawk pads on Sunday. At least on the Miata, they were a mushy, had hardly any feedback (especially at the limit), and required an excessive amount of force to brake aggressively.

Brake pad compounds have a LOT to do with driving style though, ran with plenty of other people that were fast that swore by, and did well with, Carbotech/GLoc pads.
Yep. The amount of brake servo assist matters too. The M2C has so much that it probably fares well with pads that have lower bite.
Appreciate 0