BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood

05-21-2021, 01:15 AM   #1
atruong247
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood

Don't roast me too hard. I really got the CF hood for weight savings! It is actually much lighter than the oem hood. I had to carry both hoods in and out of my 4runner when I brought the m2 to the body shop for the install, so I was able to feel the weight difference. It is pretty drastic.

With this install, it is essential to use the correct struts or not at all. I used the struts that come on the M3 CS, M4 CS, GTS, and M2 CS. PN: 51238066092

Someone can enlighten me here: I am not sure if the front fenders on the regular 2 series are that much different compared to the m2 front fenders in terms of the top portion where it slopes down to the sides. The fitment of this seibon hood is decent. The only area that is questionable are the side panel gaps towards the windshield. It's consistent on both sides, but I am not sure if it's the hood alignment or the hood itself. Nonetheless, it doesn't affect performance and only aesthetic purposes. Pictures are posted showing the panel gap. The hood is designed for the regular 2 series anyway. Seibon never made a hood for the M2.
Attached Images

Last edited by atruong247; 05-21-2021 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      05-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

I think that's pretty damn close. My stock hood and fenders have a gap slightly smaller than this in pure stock form. I think there is some adjustment that you can do with loosening the top bolts on the fenders and also where the hood hinges are, there is a little stopper that you can adjust too. Try those two pieces and see if you can get them to sit a little closer.
      05-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
The side gaps are pretty wide.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
atruong247
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
I think that's pretty damn close. My stock hood and fenders have a gap slightly smaller than this in pure stock form. I think there is some adjustment that you can do with loosening the top bolts on the fenders and also where the hood hinges are, there is a little stopper that you can adjust too. Try those two pieces and see if you can get them to sit a little closer.
I'm not too familiar with bodywork, so I don't know the adjustment points on the fender or hood hinges. The body shop didn't do too much adjustment in terms of the hood. my detailer didn't notice the gaps until I pointed it out.

Do the hinges have any vertical adjustments? It feels like the hood is much lower at the hinges.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

As you're doing it for weight saving, why would you care about cosmetic fitment?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
atruong247
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
As you're doing it for weight saving, why would you care about cosmetic fitment?
It’s completely reasonable to care about the appearance while it’s main intent is functionality. Nothing wrong with that. If I cared that much about the fitment to the point where it was form over function , I would have went back to oem or the m performance hood. I’m only informing others about the nature of this aftermarket product.
Appreciate 2