BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Comp Error Codes

01-06-2023, 07:39 AM   #1
MikewhitE92
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

M2 Comp Error Codes

Afternoon chaps,

Not sure if this was the correct thread to use, I've recently upgraded to a 2019 M2 Competition, love the car and had it a couple of weeks now but the other day I turned it on and had an engine warning light, constantly on, rung BMW an they can't get me in until end of the month but luckily my Dad has a code reader.

Plugged it in and we get the following errors:
102901 - Intermittent - Air mass 2, plausibility air mass too high
102E11 - Intermittent - HFM (Hot Film Air Mass Meter): electrical fault of Mass Air Flow (MAF) implausible

Car seems to run fine but yesterday I pulled out into the road and it flicked itself in neutral somehow.

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 11:15 AM   #2
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Has the car been modified prior to you owning it? Maybe it had intakes and the car was put back to stock and the MAF sensors weren't plugged back in fully? MAFs are not a known issue, so I would start with making sure they're plugged in all the way and I would also have a look around the intake pipes to make sure there are no vacuum leaks.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2023, 06:27 AM   #3
MikewhitE92
No_Country
Rep

Hi there,

Everything looks stock, pulled the MAF sensor out and checked it all over and look fine, cleared the engine codes and took it for a drive, feels a bit laggy and the engine light come back on again with the same codes again, not really sure on this one!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #4
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikewhitE92 View Post
Hi there,

Everything looks stock, pulled the MAF sensor out and checked it all over and look fine, cleared the engine codes and took it for a drive, feels a bit laggy and the engine light come back on again with the same codes again, not really sure on this one!
Please do share the outcome. Always interested in seeing how stuff like this shakes out.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 10:47 AM   #5
MikewhitE92
No_Country
Rep

Cleaned both of the MAF sensors again and let them sit for ages, put them back in and see how it goes, no issues to far but will keep an eye/update.

If it comes back I’ll be back down BMW to sort!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 08:44 AM   #6
MikewhitE92
No_Country
Rep

So a little update, the car has been driving very strangely, it keeps feeling like its going to stall when I come to a complete stop and go to drive off, is hesitates and then goes and drives normally, no new error codes which is odd. BMW technician is coming to look at the car tomorrow as my BMW garage cant even get me in until the end of the month!

See what they say tomorrow and I will keep you updated
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 10:22 AM   #7
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

It seems like the MAFs may be failing. Live data reading of the MAF data is important here, from both sensors.

Unless there's a piggyback system or some other tuning interfering.

Cleaning the MAF is a placebo procedure at best.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 08:36 AM   #8
MikewhitE92
No_Country
Rep

So, cars been with BMW a couple of days now, they did the gas test and car didn’t show any leaks, MAF’s were fine - turns out on the last service the air filters were fitted incorrectly so they are now broken and was causing the air leak.

Took us to a different BMW than I bought it from as that’s where the recovery driver said to take it and they are trying to charge be £250 for the filters they’ve replaced, not even had the car a month and BMW’s error but now I have to try and get money from the BMW I purchased the car from.

See what happens!
Appreciate 1
Enabled1410.00
      01-21-2023, 03:50 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Air filters are before the MAF sensors so any issue with filters, broken, missing or otherwise can't have anything to do with a MAF issue?

Filters are one big air leak as they're open to atmosphere on one side. ..
Appreciate 1
Enabled1410.00
      02-10-2023, 08:38 AM   #10
MikewhitE92
No_Country
Rep

The saga continues, car still wasn’t running correctly, been picked up by recovery as refusing to drive it, they’ve had it a week and can see that something is wrong but can’t find out what so they’ve ordered loads of parts and going to replace bits and test and try.

Very long winded, when I get an update I will let you all know!

Original courtesy car was an X3M Comp but thing it’s going to be a 1 series this time now *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 05:23 AM   #11
MikewhitE92
No_Country
Rep

Hi all,

Finally getting the car park, the whole air system was replaced including the MAF sensors which made it slightly better but rough idle was still on start up - they run another gas test and a cold early morning and turns out there was a very small leak from one of the pipes leading to one of the turbos, piping replaced and re sealed and I’ll be picking the car up later to actually check it’s fixed!
Appreciate 0