BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > DON'T buy M2C IF you plan to do mods, get the CS.

02-10-2021, 09:53 PM   #1
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 comp, LBB

DON'T buy M2C IF you plan to do mods, get the CS.

Background: I have an M2 comp on order with a non refundable deposit of $5000, should be here in 2 months. I'm wishing I would have went with the CS instead now...

Here's why:

Adding mods to the M2C gets it too close in price to the CS and yet you'll be missing much of what the CS has. I've seen people adding 20-30,000 USD in M performance parts and mods to get their M2c at the same or higher price than what new CS is, and they would still be missing what CS has.

Firstly let's look at the difference in between CS and comp in the US. The price difference is $20-25,000 USD depending on how you spec the comp. The CS has what the comp does but a much superior adjustable suspension, carbon parts everywhere, better wheels, better interior, 40 more hp, better cooling, better brakes, and a higher resale value.

Next let's look at the cost of M performance parts and other mods to the M2C. Here's a list of parts I wanted with costs including installation by dealer:
-M perf wheels - $6650
-Carbon hood - $6850
-carbon roof - $3500
-M perf steering wheel - $1490
-carbon splitter, diffuser, mirror caps, and side wings - ~7000

Once I added up the cost of those, I was already at the same price as the CS. This isn't even factoring in the higher resale value of the CS. I'm essentially paying more for a comp than a CS and I'd still be missing adaptive suspension, 40 hp increase, a better interior, better brakes, better cooling, and a few other carbon parts.

Conclusion: the CS is a BARGAIN, if you plan on doing any mods to your m2c (specially ones that involve adding carbon parts), you'll be approaching or exceeding what a CS costs so just go for the CS! If you plan to keep M2C bone stock with bare minimum mods (under $5000 ish), that's the only way I see M2C making sense financially.

Side note: if anyone wants to buy a 6MT LBB M2c brand new with executive, spoiler, carbon diffuser, M perf pedals...DM me. Delivery in 2 months, I'm in Michigan. If I take no loss, I'll get rid of this to get the CS. But as it stands right now, i don't want to lose my deposit (already signed that the deposit is non refundable).

Last edited by photorph; 02-10-2021 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

why won't the dealer let you transfer the deposit towards a CS? this way, they keep the deposit. they have 2 months to sell your originally ordered M2C and get you the CS. everyone wins.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1485.50
      02-10-2021, 11:02 PM   #3
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I don't think the deposit is ever nonrefundable no matter what the dealer says.
Appreciate 6
ROASTM163.50
JoeMatt160.00
natmad674.50
      02-10-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
beanfritter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Right. Although they might keep it until they sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 11:15 PM   #5
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
why won't the dealer let you transfer the deposit towards a CS? this way, they keep the deposit. they have 2 months to sell your originally ordered M2C and get you the CS. everyone wins.
They stated that they built the car for me and if don't take it then that's an extra car on their lot that they will need to get rid of, that's why before I put the deposit down I had to sign a document saying it's non refundable. And I was fine with that since for sure I knew I was getting it. Didn't do a cost analysis of the M perf parts/upgrades vs cost of CS. Also they may not have an allocation for a CS, so it's not like they can sell me a CS. There's already 2 dealers with a CS in my state.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 11:18 PM   #6
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
In this case it is non refundable. See my response above. Maybe if I put up a huge fight and try to void that signed document, it's possible. But I don't want to do that, they've been pretty good and straight forward to me so far. They did clearly state it's non refundable so they asked me to take my time to decide. It's my fault for not looking at CS cost vs cost of M perf add ons.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 11:54 PM   #7
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Depends on the mods. If you want outright performance the M2C might be the better platform for the simple fact that you can flash tune most M2C’s. M2CS has a locked ECU that can’t be broken and likely won’t be for a very long time. If you are looking for mostly cosmetic mods as the ones you described, then CS could be the better buy. Depends what you are looking for.

Although considering that your M2C isn’t built yet either, it’s probably going to get the new security encrypted ECU.

Last edited by pz619; 02-11-2021 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 2
MikeD943.00
Robin_NL8761.50
      02-11-2021, 12:22 AM   #8
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Depends on the mods. If you want outright performance the M2C might be the better platform for the simple fact that you can flash tune most M2C’s. M2CS has a locked ECU that can’t be broken and likely won’t be for a very long time. If you are looking for mostly cosmetic mods as the ones you described, then CS could be the better buy. Depends what you are looking for.

Although considering that your M2C isn’t built yet either, it’s probably going to get the new security encrypted ECU.
Eh, I don't mess with stuff that voids warranty until the warranty is up. That won't be for a while. And you're right, I'll have the encrypted ECU likely. Also I'd rather have an OEM tuned 444 hp with the appropriate cooling for higher power rather than just doing after market ECU tuning to add hp and do nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:41 AM   #9
EtotheD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

It depends what you want right out of the gate. Seems like the CS ticks a lot of your check boxes. I knew well going into it part of my budget was buying a bunch of M Performance parts and installing them myself. I bought my car from a dealership that was getting a lot of CS cars at the time, so I'd like to think I could of got one if I wanted. At the end of the day I wanted something I could tinker with on my own and not worry about value as a daily driver. I think being one of the few LBB Comp owners with an actual M Performance carbon hood and roof mod would be badass.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:47 AM   #10
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtotheD View Post
It depends what you want right out of the gate. Seems like the CS ticks a lot of your check boxes. I knew well going into it part of my budget was buying a bunch of M Performance parts and installing them myself. I bought my car from a dealership that was getting a lot of CS cars at the time, so I'd like to think I could of got one if I wanted. At the end of the day I wanted something I could tinker with on my own and not worry about value as a daily driver. I think being one of the few LBB Comp owners with an actual M Performance carbon hood and roof mod would be badass.
But this is exactly what makes no sense to me. Assuming you're adding enough M performance parts to get close to CS price...if you knew you were going to add these M performance parts, why not just get CS? It's like having M performance parts at a discount along with more power and way better suspension.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2021, 12:48 AM   #11
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Counter point: comp has an armrest
Appreciate 26
Robin_NL8761.50
bri10426104.50
Got f1?682.50
AM///X3M361.50
pz6193280.00
JustinHEMI7453.00
MmmmmM22599.00
Cadillac363.00
hAxel91.00
samsamdar624.50
Mr Pete1620.00
ki__409.00
pizza240838.00
Brandt51946.00
JoeMatt160.00
MystroX56316.00
akkando5872.50
Artemis29933.00
BlkSVT388.50
      02-11-2021, 12:59 AM   #12
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M4 M2C M340i 718Spyder

You can of course just get the M2 Comp with ZERO mods ... and it will still be a blast to drive

Trust me ... day to day there is really not much difference between the M2C and M2CS ... carbon roof, hood, wing, lips, CS Tune and all ...
Appreciate 6
      02-11-2021, 01:26 AM   #13
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Pip View Post
You can of course just get the M2 Comp with ZERO mods ... and it will still be a blast to drive

Trust me ... day to day there is really not much difference between the M2C and M2CS ... carbon roof, hood, wing, lips, CS Tune and all ...
That's exactly my plan now. To justify the comp, you have to keep it at base price w/o dumping 10,000+ on mods. As is the comp's price difference from CS makes it a great value, $20-25k less and 90% as good.

It's when you add mods and start creeping up to CS price, that's when things make NO sense. What's surprising is that most comp owners do spend a lot on mods (adding carbon all over, m perf wheels, etc). Just look at many of M2 comp owners on this forum, for most of them CS from the start would have been the wiser choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 02:03 AM   #14
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Counter point: comp has an armrest
Quote of the day.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 5
Kankles1485.50
ESB1189.00
AndyinHou479.00
JoeMatt160.00
BlkSVT388.50
      02-11-2021, 03:21 AM   #15
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Non sense tbh. Only if you unconditionally want to do those mods - and if you do, I wonder why you didn't get the CS straight away.

However - wheels 6k.. i get them for 2.5k, you just gotta meet the right person. Hell, 3.5k must de doable. The steering wheel can also be found for a few hundred less.

Anyway.
The mods I have done to my M2C would have to be done to an M2CS, too. Therefore the delta is the same. Exhaust, suspension, brakes.

Your title is simply misleading and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post
What's surprising is that most comp owners do spend a lot on mods (adding carbon all over, m perf wheels, etc). Just look at many of M2 comp owners on this forum, for most of them CS from the start would have been the wiser choice.
I challenge you to find examples.
Most people that spend money do mods like exhaust, coilover suspension, camber plates, AP brake kit, some carbon yes, but not all that much. And most of these mods could be done to a CS too.
I have around 10k mods on my M2C, still a lot cheaper than an M2CS.
Appreciate 9
Kankles1485.50
AUSf222692.50
JustinHEMI7453.00
GFEA231.00
Brandt51946.00
Robin_NL8761.50
Fabb228.50
BlkSVT388.50
      02-11-2021, 03:41 AM   #16
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcher View Post
Non sense tbh. Only if you unconditionally want to do those mods - and if you do, I wonder why you didn't get the CS straight away.

However - wheels 6k.. i get them for 2.5k, you just gotta meet the right person. Hell, 3.5k must de doable. The steering wheel can also be found for a few hundred less.

Anyway.
The mods I have done to my M2C would have to be done to an M2CS, too. Therefore the delta is the same. Exhaust, suspension, brakes.

Your title is simply misleading and wrong.

I challenge you to find examples.
Most people that spend money do mods like exhaust, coilover suspension, camber plates, AP brake kit, some carbon yes, but not all that much. And most of these mods could be done to a CS too.
I have around 10k mods on my M2C, still a lot cheaper than an M2CS.
Not sure what wheels you are finding for 2.5k. I'm looking for the gold M perf wheels. Find me the gold M performance wheels with TPMS for those prices...I called multiple places and $6600 ish is the going price with tires mounted and balanced. If I buy just the wheels it ends up being $5000ish from bmwparts website. The steering wheel can be found for a few 100 less...but then I'd have to pay again to have it installed, I'm not messing with a steering wheel install myself.

Agree on the exhaust for CS. But the CS suspension is regarded as perfect by almost everyone who has driven it, why would you want to mod the suspension? What would changing the suspension add that the current CS suspension cannot do? For someone who doesn't track the car, would a coilover suspension mod be beneficial?

Plenty of examples of people spending 18k on M perf parts. I mean I don't want to start pasting people's user IDs here, but you can find pics of m2 comps with M perf hood, wheels, spoiler, and diffusers...those alone are about 15k.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 05:03 AM   #17
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

I can literally get the gold rims with sensors for around 3k. Germany though...

The CS suspension may be perfect for daily comfort. For the track you still need adjustable coilovers and perhaps camber plates. And the height still looks that of a 4WD truck. If you dont track depends if youre happy with the stock setup or not, completely up to you.

18k for performance parts - people have definitely lost control over their lives anyway, I know plenty of M2 drivers and know many with 15-25k mod budgets, however mostly upgrades and not just M Performance carbon.

At the end of the day. The M2 isn't a perfect car and the M2CS has nearly all the same flaws. In order to fix them, modding is needed and this is true for both cars.
Also love both and of course I would have a CS if a 30k EUR price difference wasn't relevant for me. (Especially if its 30k for "just" carbon and a better suspension)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 05:54 AM   #18
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I haven't had a single itch to buy an M2CS. I've daily driven my M2C for 2 and a half years and almost 17k miles (not a ton compared with the one fella who has 82k on his) and not one single moment of desire for the M2CS. If I really had the time in my life to track the car a bunch, perhaps that would make a difference, but I don't.

Even if the 763's are $6600, there are other wheel choices that are just as valid that cost a TON less. The 763's are some of my favorite wheels, but they aren't the kings of all wheels.

All told, I have about 9k in mods on my car...a stupid expensive exhaust, audio upgrades (about half of the components I already had), and pedals. That's it. The hood and the roof on the CS are great, and I'd love to have them, but they wouldn't make a real difference taking the long way to the store, or being frisky for a minute or two with a non-performance dual motor Tesla 3 (the same guy over and over...I really don't know what his deal is and he certainly doesn't look happy).

The armrest comment above was hilarious, but that's where my arm goes. The storage underneath it is where my 256GB memory stick is with all my music. There are items in that storage that I wouldn't want to have to throw in the glove box. I don't get the removal of that storage on any of the CS's. It's too useful.

And NONE of my opinions here mean squat to anyone else. Make your own choice, and perhaps there are some mods you could do to an M2C that perhaps aren't worth the money (I certainly could have gone cheaper on the exhaust).

That being said, your M2C experience is going to be bad if you walk into it all sour because of a couple of minor items.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3907.50
      02-11-2021, 05:58 AM   #19
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Imo, take the $5 g hit now and get the CS anyway. It will pay you back down the road for sure. $5 is a set of wheels no big deal
JoeMatt160.00
      02-11-2021, 06:02 AM   #20
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Pip View Post

Ever driven an m2CS? Huge difference between the 2 cars. It didn’t win evo COTY by accident.
      02-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #21
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post
Background: I have an M2 comp on order with a non refundable deposit of $5000, should be here in 2 months. I'm wishing I would have went with the CS instead now...

Here's why:

Adding mods to the M2C gets it too close in price to the CS and yet you'll be missing much of what the CS has. I've seen people adding 20-30,000 USD in M performance parts and mods to get their M2c at the same or higher price than what new CS is, and they would still be missing what CS has.

Firstly let's look at the difference in between CS and comp in the US. The price difference is $20-25,000 USD depending on how you spec the comp. The CS has what the comp does but a much superior adjustable suspension, carbon parts everywhere, better wheels, better interior, 40 more hp, better cooling, better brakes, and a higher resale value.

Next let's look at the cost of M performance parts and other mods to the M2C. Here's a list of parts I wanted with costs including installation by dealer:
-M perf wheels - $6650
-Carbon hood - $6850
-carbon roof - $3500
-M perf steering wheel - $1490
-carbon splitter, diffuser, mirror caps, and side wings - ~7000

Once I added up the cost of those, I was already at the same price as the CS. This isn't even factoring in the higher resale value of the CS. I'm essentially paying more for a comp than a CS and I'd still be missing adaptive suspension, 40 hp increase, a better interior, better brakes, better cooling, and a few other carbon parts.

Conclusion: the CS is a BARGAIN, if you plan on doing any mods to your m2c (specially ones that involve adding carbon parts), you'll be approaching or exceeding what a CS costs so just go for the CS! If you plan to keep M2C bone stock with bare minimum mods (under $5000 ish), that's the only way I see M2C making sense financially.

Side note: if anyone wants to buy a 6MT LBB M2c brand new with executive, spoiler, carbon diffuser, M perf pedals...DM me. Delivery in 2 months, I'm in Michigan. If I take no loss, I'll get rid of this to get the CS. But as it stands right now, i don't want to lose my deposit (already signed that the deposit is non refundable).
From the perspective of going as fast as possible against a time watch:

M performance suspension for the M2 - USD 2,670
Titan 7 TS-5 9.5/10.5 forged wheels set - USD 2,740
Michelin Cup 2 Connect 265/30 19 - USD 800 (set of 2)
Michelin Cup 2 Connect 295/30 19 - USD 1,000 (set of 2)
Ground Control front camber plates - USD 600

Total = USD 7,810

That's all you need to out perform the CS on the track unless the track is mostly straight line. Add JB4 and aero on the M2C (more money of course) and you won't see which way the modded M2C went. Brake wise, US got the BBK on the M2C as standard which is the same as the CS unless one op for carbon ceramic on the CS.

I do see your point that if the mod objective is to get the CS carbon bonnet, carbon roof, 763M wheels and some M accessories then it is better off to buy the CS
Appreciate 2
GFEA231.00
ASAP10245.50
      02-11-2021, 06:56 AM   #22
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Imo, take the $5 g hit now and get the CS anyway. It will pay you back down the road for sure. $5 is a set of wheels no big deal
So you're telling him to lose another $5k? That's terrible advice.

Just call the dealer, speak to sales manager, tell him that you can no longer afford the car and need a refund bc your financial situation has changed.

Only a real dick of a dealer will keep you on the hook for this deposit.

I'm certain you're not obligated for anything until you take delivery.
Appreciate 1